Knurling on quality lights

LTBL777

Newly Enlightened
My current lights include Surefire, Malkoff and Streamlight.
I have no interest in cheap lights, being a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I consider reliability the most important feature in my lights.

I also have no use for slick lights. It seems hard or impossible to find good knurling on the above manufactures in the smaller lights nowadays. I am looking for quality lights with full body knurling. I love the grip it gives me.
My EB1s are a joke, grip wise. My super hound dog has knurling but it's on the smooth side.

So can I ask for some recommendations on quality EDC lights in aaa, aa, and 123s with lots of knurling? Is there anything out there?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not a particularly expensive host, but most aggressive knurling I've found was on the Solarforce L2X.

Might be discontinued, though ?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
LTBL777,
Something you may or may not wish to consider - if you like a light except for a lack of knurling - is some sort of rubbery adhesive grip tape. I have an E-series-sized "split body" 1x18650 body that will take a VME head. The body is well made, and widely grooved, but it was just too smooth for my tastes. I got a 5"x6" sheet of Gear Gripz tape, and it worked out very well for me.

LTBL777

Newly Enlightened
Thank you and that reminds me I have a can of plastic dip downstairs. Grip tape may be the answer.
The slick finish on the newer surefires is of no use to me.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or a bicycle grip. That fits nicely on a 1" diameter lights.

yN6CwNZ.jpg

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
In 123A and really good grip there is Elzetta it is the most aggressive grip on a light I have.

Signalcorpsoperator

Newly Enlightened
+2 on the Elzetta lights, something of an unsung hero far as companies go, they truly make a top of the line product though!

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current lights include Surefire, Malkoff and Streamlight.
I have no interest in cheap lights, being a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I consider reliability the most important feature in my lights.

I also have no use for slick lights. It seems hard or impossible to find good knurling on the above manufactures in the smaller lights nowadays. I am looking for quality lights with full body knurling. I love the grip it gives me.
My EB1s are a joke, grip wise. My super hound dog has knurling but it's on the smooth side.

So can I ask for some recommendations on quality EDC lights in aaa, aa, and 123s with lots of knurling? Is there anything out there?

Have you checked out the Olight I3T and M1T Raider? AAA and 123A respectively... they seem to have good gripping surfaces.

Edit: There is even an M1T Plus if you go over to Going Gear, it's the twin cell version of the M1T Raider. Smaller than a 6P.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Want max grip?
SOG lights are pretty grippy and Elzetta. But the PK Design Lab FL2 was likely the grippiest light made in a long time.

A08-A521-A-857-C-489-D-8-D64-69364-B91645-F.jpg

A couple of PK lights, a Bushnell, an Elzetta and a SOG

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
PK FL2 LE has been riding along my side for months. I can say without hesitation, no flashlight in its class comes close to the (excellent engineered) ergonomic grip, even when wearing gloves!

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
PK very good, I held him in my hands :)

As for getting what you pay for, must not forget that most of the price can be a fee to advertising companies or someone's greed or debts))

In my opinion, the slippery knurling on Elzetta. One of the best on this model TexasLumens P-60 Tac-8 - http://www.texaslumens.com/store.html#!/P-60-Tac-8-Flashlight/p/83047017/category=23021004
I think can ask to extend this knurling over a large area. But the best was the one I did myself, it was on a steel body, I forgot to ask the turner to cut a tenacious surface, I had to pick up the dremels and make cross-cut cuts, it was very tenacious and equally terrible (how Shoggoths in "At the Mountains of Madness" by Howard Phillips Lovecraft)

LTBL777

Newly Enlightened
Guys, thank you ! I am gong to research all the lights mentioned. I recognize the Elzetta name.

Scribe

Newly Enlightened
OR makes a nice p60 host with amazing knurling

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

alphaBRAVO

Newly Enlightened
The "knurled" grip on my Muyshondt Beagle is comprised of individually mill-cut pyramids, which, however excessively over-designed, don't slip. The cutouts around the bezel also grip—and look, to my eye—great. I fully recognize Muyshondt is polarizing, but wanted to add some um texture to the conversation.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I also am kinda turned off by most knurling.I work with my hands and they pretty much have the appearance of 60 grit sandpaper. Apart from my elzettas every light I own feels WAY to slippery.