EDC flashlight without clicking sound on tailcap

4bullseyes

Newly Enlightened
What are some good, durable options for an EDC light that does not make an audible clicking noise when activating the light? I have heard the Surefire Tactician is a great option but was wondering if there are cheaper but still reliable options? I have heard this called a "dead man's sqitch" before but couldn't find info on this forum so am.basically wondering if there's any other good options or if I should just go with Surefire. I need it to be fairly cobcealable/compact and also not have multiple modes that can be accidentally switch on.
Thanks

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Elzetta's Alpha, Bravo and Charlie series lights (maybe the others too, I'm not sure), have clicky switches that are virtually silent.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight M2T is silent, but if you bottom it out and hold for more than a second you will get strobe mode. Very compact light that I highly recommend. Their Warrior X also has a silent switch with no strobe mode unless you program it to do so.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican M1/M3/M6 incandescent models do feature silent clicky. However the quality of the quality of the silent clicky mecha may vary from batch to batch.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Out of curiosity why do flashlights even come with a silent switch option? I mean it can't be for anything tactical because a millisecond After the switch is hit a thousand lumens will kinda give your position away. Or is it for some other reason.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican M1/M3/M6 incandescent models do feature silent clicky. However the quality of the quality of the silent clicky mecha may vary from batch to batch.

I always assumed that silent switch was actually a bad design only to be corrected by Pelican later, go figure..

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Out of curiosity why do flashlights even come with a silent switch option? I mean it can't be for anything tactical because a millisecond After the switch is hit a thousand lumens will kinda give your position away. Or is it for some other reason.

Why would the silent switch have to activate 1000 lumens? Why can't it activate 0.1 lumens or less?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Why would the silent switch have to activate 1000 lumens? Why can't it activate 0.1 lumens or less?

Wouldn't matter. if your close enough for someone to hear a click in pitch darkness they would see 0.1.At fort Irwin when I was in the army "desert conditions " you could see the cherry on a cigarette butt burning from 100 yards.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya now that would make sense on a non visible light such as IR I can see the purpose. I myself hate it. My elzettas are like this. Virtually No noise at all.i like the response of the click. Without it it almost seems broken.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never really understood it myself either, although I had always supposed it was desired for room clears/building clears...where you could actually be out of sight but nearby the suspects/hostiles...but again I imagined that your footsteps or gear would be more of a give away than the click on your light. But isn't that what forward clickies are for? Use momentary mode which should never click.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience has been that Elzetta switches are silent when they are new. After a period of use, they make almost as much sound as any other clicky switch. This has been true of at least two of my own switches, although they were both high/low. Not sure if the single mode clicky variant is any different.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS is not totally silent but it's one of the quietest switches I ve operated... personally I prefer the quieter ones. Give HDS a IR filter then you have a silent light that won't openly give away your location that easily like a CLICK CLICK. First Light USA primary and secondary button switches are fairly quiet with the over ride totally silent.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Tactical. Electronic switch so no mechanism to "click".

It all depends on whether there is a plastic disc under the rubber button. If he is not, then he is quiet enough, if there is, then it clicks loudly enough, in the same place there is a micro button, only without the retention mechanism, like mouse buttons :) This plastic disc, it seems to me, acts like a drum membrane, the sound is louder if the button is raised and quieter if the button is flat.