Surefire F05 (Red filter) vs HDS Red and Hyper Red

tyu

Newly Enlightened
I waited too long on the hyper reds and ended up with a Surefire F05 red filter over an HDS with an XP-G 250. The bug is back and now I'm wondering how the output through an F05 compares to a standard "Dark Adaptation Red" and "Hyper Red". More red? Orange? Brighter? Dimmer? Anyone have both the filter and one or both of the reds?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, good questions. My Personal eyes say, they are vastly different. I would gladly take you some beam shots, but I am doubtful I could find my SF Filter. I can look tonight. Anyways, I have two Hyper Reds. Once I got them, I took off my filter and lord knows where it went. The Hyper Red to me seems more of a "bright red", where the filter seems more "burgandyish" red. I guess another way I could say it: the filter seems more warmer, where the Hyper is more Popping. Sorry that is how my eyes detect it.

EDIT: I forgot my avatar is a Hyper red HDS, lol

tyu

Newly Enlightened
I would gladly take you some beam shots, but I am doubtful I could find my SF Filter. I can look tonight. .... The Hyper Red to me seems more of a "bright red", where the filter seems more "burgandyish" red. I guess another way I could say it: the filter seems more warmer, where the Hyper is more Popping.

Beam shots would be great, but don't go through the effort on my account. Your description makes sense, especially after comparing the F05 red with the Red from a BOSS, which looked more orange in comparison.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current "Dark Adaption Red" is the same wavelength as the "Hyper Red" run.
When HDS ran out of the previous "Dark Adaption Red" Henry decided to replace it with the deeper red of the Hyper Red, though it is NOT the same emitter as the Hyper Red was, but it is the same wavelength (660nm) and color.

Last edited:

AndyF

Flashlight Enthusiast
When HDS ran out of the previous "Dark Adaption Red" Henry decided to replace it with the deeper red of the Hyper Red, though it is NOT the same emitter as the Hyper Red was, but it is the same wavelength (660nm) and color.

Good to know, thanks

tyu

Newly Enlightened
...how the output through an F05 compares to a standard "Dark Adaptation Red" and "Hyper Red". More red? Orange? Brighter? Dimmer?

:D squee! Thanks!

My brand-spanking-new 660nm "Dark Adaptation Red" (DAR) is here. Observations from the darkest room of the house whilst crossing the beams:

* F05 is slightly more orange than the DAR.
* DAR is much brighter than the F05 over my XP-G 250.

The two seem to have equal brightness when the rotary dial on the DAR is at ~70% (just under 3/4 of the dial).