Modding a Streamlight Vantage

J_C_S

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure where the right place to put this is but I have a streamlight vantage firefighter helmet light. The output is really horrible for a 2 cell cr123a. Is it possible to mod this light and if so is there someone I can send it to to upgrade it?

Its one of the only lights my Dept approved to use at the time because it's NFPA rated otherwise I would just get something else.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm not sure where the right place to put this is but I have a streamlight vantage firefighter helmet light. The output is really horrible for a 2 cell cr123a. Is it possible to mod this light and if so is there someone I can send it to to upgrade it?

Its one of the only lights my Dept approves to use because it's NFPA rated otherwise I would just get something else.

Your thread is fine here, unless you'd like it moved to Special Application Lighting.

Although I am unfamiliar with the specific rating you cited above, I think "modding" would very likely invalidate that :caution:

Others with more specific and applicable expertise will likely drop in to advise you further.

They may well need additional details regarding your specific occupation / environment / use(s) and such, however.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last winter I viewed a PGE (Pacific Gas Electric) Lineman who successfully mounted a Zebralight headlight band bracket (epoxyed) onto his work helmet. The bracket would work with any mfgrs 1" body headlight.. J

Just a thought.. sent you pm

Last edited:

J_C_S

Newly Enlightened
Your thread is fine here, unless you'd like it moved to Special Application Lighting.

Although I am unfamiliar with the specific rating you cited above, I think "modding" would very likely invalidate that :caution:

Others with more specific and applicable expertise will likely drop in to advise you further.

They may well need additional details regarding your specific occupation / environment / use(s) and such, however.

Poorly worded on my part. I originally bought it because at the time it needed to meet the rating. It's no longer required so I could carry a light that doesn't meet the standard. I already bought it and have used it a lot so I am just trying to save some money from buying another light.

I am a fire investigator now. I work a lot in really dark conditions. The light is high only. I don't know if it's possible to change that or make it brighter. Basically, if I get rid of it I have no other use for it because it has to be mounted to a helmet (the mount is part of the light) so I'm hoping it can be modded in some way!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just looked it up, that's just a weapon-mounted light with a different mount. I sold off my streamlight WML years ago, 115 lumens is pretty pathetic for the cells, as you mention.

The problem comes in with the fact that this almost certainly has a proprietary driver, meaning it would be difficult (re: expensive) to modify it to hold a proper 17mm driver. It may be relegated to a backup light, and get a solid CR123 torch like a Malkoff Devices/ HDS Systems for much more modern performance.

That way you can use KG's suggestion above to mount it, and keep the batteries that you are used to. I'm assuming the department supplies them? Otherwise change out to rechargeable lithium cells