Recommend me a replacement for Thrunite TN12 (2016)

D6859

Enlightened
Hi,

I've been off from flashlight collecting and this community for a while, so I need your advice for my next flashlight purchase.

I bought Thrunite TN12 (2016 edition) during the autumn of 2015. Don't let the number mislead you, it was released 2015. It's been a trustworthy companion and I've carried it almost every day for the last 4 years. Unfortunately I've dropped it so many times, the glass has finally broken. I cannot trust it to hold water which has been required a couple of times during the years. Also, I think the LED might have lost some of it's power. Is it possible?

It seems Thrunite have updated the LED in the model to XP-L and the version number is going in v6 already so some development has happened there.

So, my questions are
a) should I buy one more TN12
b) or can you recommend another model?

Requirements for recommendations:
- clicky tail switch
- neutral or warm light
- 18650 battery
- max output of ~1000 lm
- IP68
- 3-5 modes (incl. firefly mode)
- no PWM
- price < 80€
- compact size (= I should be able to carry it in my pocket)

Thank you!

Ps. Here's a picture of what happens to a flashlight if you carry it for 4 years in your pocket.

uS7vkbi.jpg

D6859

Enlightened
I reserve second post for my additional notes:

- IIRC the best options available by 2015 were Thrunite TN12, Fenix PD35 and Nitecore P12. Has the table changed? Are there new players?

- Sorry mods, forgot we had whole subforum for recommendations :whistle:

- I also asked Thrunite if they provide spare parts. I could try and replace the lense on my own.
-- Thrunite replied to me and they are sending me a new lense for free. Have to appreciate their customer service :)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Welcome back !

Since your thread request is so specific, I have moved it to the Recommend subforum, and left a brief redirect tag.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
She needs to be retired, when you get your new light, to the Museum of Weather Worn and Trustworthy Lights, what character!

D6859

Enlightened
Thrunite replied to my email and they are now sending me a replacement lense for the light :)

I also ordered Fenix PD35 v2.0 as a secondary flashlight in case I cannot fix the TN12.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite replied to my email and they are now sending me a replacement lense for the light :)

I also ordered Fenix PD35 v2.0 as a secondary flashlight in case I cannot fix the TN12.

I lost my first generation TN12. The closest replacement I found was the PD35 so I bought one too. The PD35 is a nice light but I like the twist head of my old TN12 better. I find my PD35 strobing because the sensitive side switch got touched.

D6859

Enlightened
I lost my first generation TN12. The closest replacement I found was the PD35 so I bought one too. The PD35 is a nice light but I like the twist head of my old TN12 better. I find my PD35 strobing because the sensitive side switch got touched.

Do you mean PD35 v1 or v2 ?

D6859

Enlightened
PD35 V2 is what I replaced my first gen Thrunite TN12 with.

I replaced my first gen TN12 with second gen TN12 so the leap now from TN12 to PD35 isn't so big now.

Considerable improvements might be:
- battery level indicator in the mode button
- instant strobe when holding mode button while turning on
- longer throw
- slightly better runtimes

Yet, it seems it only comes in CW, which I'm not very fond of. I hope I can fix my TN12 when the lense arrives.

sonofjesse

Newly Enlightened
You could buy a newer TN12. I really like the from factor and the light operation.

I just got a TC15 and I'm really enjoying the 1 lumen and 25 lumen modes. Great run times. USB charger built in (could be good or bad).

I got my TC15 in NW of course :)

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
D6859, I LOVE that photo of the 4-year-worn light!!

Looking forward to hearing how the repair goes, glad to hear of such good service from Thrunite.

Great thread!

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I have this light and it has my favourite beam profile for hiking and outdoor use.

We also have an Archer used as a night light with about 7,000 hours runtime so far. My son has dropped and abused that light and it's held up.

I have a bunch of Thrunite stuff and contacted them a couple of times. They were amazing to deal with. They seem to hit a price/quality sweet spot with performance, durability and thoughtfully implementation that I perceive as real value.