W5W bulb upgrade for interior cabin lightning

Bosanek

Newly Enlightened
I have two OEM interior cabin lamps in my vehicle, which use W5W bulbs.

Since those lamps do not illuminate the interior of the cabin sufficiently well, I want to replace the bulbs with some others which will give me maximum illumination possible.

The sockets in the lamps are marked as "Toshiba V-2" and the bulbs have the following markings: "12V5W W5W 37R (E1) 0116".

So what are the brightest recommended replacements? Any law limitations, if applicable in this case in US, are not the limit here as they do not exist in my country.
I would prefer them to be LED because of lowered electricity consumption when the engine is OFF, but they do not have to be strictly LED.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There are no legal controls on interior lighting in any country I'm aware of. The W5W bulb produces 50 lumens. All the reliable, legitimate-brand LED versions of the W5W bulb also produce 50 lumens. You can probably find less-legitimate LEDs that put out more than 50 lumens, and there's no lighting safety issue as there would be with exterior lights. Or, use an Osram number 2886-X, which puts out 85 lumens.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to replace the bulbs with some others which will give me maximum illumination possible.
So what are the brightest recommended replacements? Any law limitations, if applicable in this case in US, are not the limit here as they do not exist in my country.

there's no lighting safety issue as there would be with exterior lights.
There's a small one, depending on how far you overkill: Getting into your at night and being blasted with light may mean you will need to spend time getting dark-adapted again, or at least be very aware that you've lost your dark adaptation and drive carefully. Depending on how bad it is, opt for the former. And should anyone turn on the overkill interior light while you are driving, you'll be temporarily disadvantaged (definitely while it's still ON) while your eyes reädapt. But even with the standard interior lights, this is still true-- it affects your dark adaptation and if turned on at night while driving it can interfere with proper seeing.

Yes.

Could I have any electrical issues when using illegitimate stronger LED W5W bulbs?
You really shouldn't. It'd be a whole lot of LED bulb to use more power than the incandescent it replaces. Also, a higher-wattage one (relative to other LEDs) may mean a more convincing "theatre lights" experience (when the lights dim down before going out).

Bosanek

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for this fine explanation. The issue of rapid eye adjustment to the high contrast between lit cabin and dark outdoors is an issue which should not be underestimated indeed. Thank you for pointing that out. Since I need very good cabin illumination for long intervals with minimum power consumption when parked in dark places (forest ...), this contrast issue is less of a concern, but still something to be aware of.

I suppose that a LED W5W bulb should use a lot less el. current than the OEM bulb which it replaces? How much less in fact?