The IDIOCY of Pink Phobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
My fellow luminous friends, here are the FACTS.

One, everyone at CPF has at least one of the following: a spouse (likely female if you are a male), a gal-friend, a daughter, a niece, a female colleague, a sister (I'll stop there).

Two, pink is a BEAUTIFUL color, especially when done in the right shade. (Apple's "Rose-Gold" iPhone is actually a euphemism for "Pink"; they cowardly added a touch of gold to deflect your attention away from its pink component. The NY Times rejected an op-ed I submitted to that effect.)

Yet, the vast majority of flashlight companies REFUSE to make some of their smaller lights in pink.

I know this for a FACT because I've reached out to at least two PROMINENT ones at the highest levels and both my request and my reasoning behind it were flatly rejected.

Three, it is simply an IDIOTIC decision NOT to market flashlights in PINK to half the human race: women!

The women I've gifted PINK lights to went NUTS over them, and to this day still thank me.

I myself own a Pink Flashlight (no, it's not my only light, lol) and I don't give a WHIT what others "think" or say because I am a male. It's a beautiful light.

Lumens are not just for males, but apparently most flashlight companies think otherwise.

What kind of thinking is THAT?

The central reason I was given was that a pink light simply would not sell.

Of course it is NOT going to sell WITHOUT THE PROPER MARKETING!

I've already written/devised such a marketing campaign. (All I need to do now is start my own flashlight company or have a company use what I have written.)

By the way, ONE of my pink lights is now being discontinued by its company, and I know for a fact (I do my research) that the decision was not made by a woman.

I am NOT saying half of all flashlights should be pink (for reasons I will not list here).

Let me summarize my argument.

Half the human race is women. Do the math!

Go to any flashlight company's website and count all the PINK lights. You will find that they comprise about .000025% of all their offerings.

Are women .000025% of the human race?

And you guys who always talk about having to hide your flashlight purchases from your wives: if you give her a PINK light they probably will "get" it (as well as keep asking you for more, hehe. You can thank me later in a post.)

Am I mistaken, or isn't the founder of CPF a woman? (Greta). If so, thank you, Greta! It took a woman! (Does it always? Hehe).

Greta, we need to name a (pink) light after you! Maybe I can interest Vihn. Vihn, let's do a super-powered AAA light in pink and call it "the Greta"! I'd buy a dozen right off the bat and TWO dozen if it's a beautifully stunning shade of pink!

I will close with what Gandhi wrote, "Truth needs to be repeated as long as there are men who disbelieve it."

Amen.

- LetThereBePink! aka LetThereBeLight!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying women aren't allowed to like black lights? If I bought my wife a pink light she would laugh me out the door.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Not sure if this is a joke or not, but isn't it rather degrading to think the main thing a woman would care about in a flashlight is the colour pink? As it is now flashlights are marketed mainly in fields that are male-dominated and it's hard to market flashlights to women overall due to the vast majority not caring about the specs as much as the average flashaholic does, but this is also prevalent in both sexes seeing as many men now also rather go for their phone as a light source instead of a dedicated flashlight.

There's another problem with this, seeing as how most people don't really care enough to actually research their products and how to use them the pink light category would have to be relegated to mainly alkaline/NiMH or internal rechargeable batteries to avoid an increase in explosions or bad reviews stemming from a "one battery's as good as the other and these were cheap from China with 10,000 amp hours so they're amazing at a third of the price!" view of it, the batteries would have to be the safest possible to avoid the accidents prevalent in all cheapo electronic endavours.

Then bring to the table that pink anodising isn't as durable as black and it'll likely get scratched up and lose it sooner than the regular black or similar, and you have another issue on your hands right there.

TL;DR, those women who are prone to liking flashlights already go for it, the same applies to men. Those who don't like them just see them as a necessary evil and will buy the dollar special running on 3xAAA and claim it's "just as good as" regardless of what you say or how you market it.

nbp

Flashaholic
^ I agree with Burly. I am all for a variety of colors offered on lights, but would agree that a flashlight marketed to women or any other demographic should be designed from the start to address the needs of that demographic. Just changing the color of an existing product may not make it suitable for them. For example, I like blue, but I wouldn't buy a shiny blue light if it had a lousy UI or was missing a feature I really liked.

So perhaps an updated argument could be simply: why don't many manufacturers design flashlights marketed to women, in general?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife carries a factor equipment cossatot XL or an olight sr mini intimidator. This is like in a gun forum a man asking for help picking out a gun for his wife........ my answer is always take her to the store and let her see what fits. Strange strange post. I'm being civil I've hurt too many peoples MoMos on here lately

tjb

Newly Enlightened
Why pink? Is that a women-only color? Can I be just as irate about a lack of orange?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lol there ain't men lights and girls lights! 😂 that's like saying I'm going to the store to get some pencils for a girl.If I gave a pink flashlight to one of my daughters they'd throw it at my head 😁

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Can I be just as irate about a lack of orange?

I've always been a little bit surprised at the relative lack of "high-visibility" color options for an item designed to be used in ... ya know ... dim and dark conditions :eek:

Last edited:
:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

PhKJgdZ.jpg

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Are you saying women aren't allowed to like black lights? If I bought my wife a pink light she would laugh me out the door.

That's your misinterpretation. I said no such thing. That's like me responding that you married the wrong woman! You married right. But SOMEONE has to stand up for the sheer absence of pink. I can take the heat, lol.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Not sure if this is a joke or not, but isn't it rather degrading to think the main thing a woman would care about in a flashlight is the colour pink?

I never said it was the main thing. I questioned why it is simply not an option and that many women would purchase lights that appealed to them, and pink is appealing to most women. Pink can be the start to invite women to care about the "guts" or specs of a light.

As it is now flashlights are marketed mainly in fields that are male-dominated and it's hard to market flashlights to women overall due to the vast majority not caring about the specs as much as the average flashaholic does, but this is also prevalent in both sexes seeing as many men now also rather go for their phone as a light source instead of a dedicated flashlight.

So sad that the flashlight MARKET is not EQUALLY female "dominated"; I simply pointed out one way to do that. So sad that some use their phone as a light because it drains the battery quickly and is not a wise solution.

There's another problem with this, seeing as how most people don't really care enough to actually research their products and how to use them the pink light category would have to be relegated to mainly alkaline/NiMH or internal rechargeable batteries to avoid an increase in explosions or bad reviews stemming from a "one battery's as good as the other and these were cheap from China with 10,000 amp hours so they're amazing at a third of the price!" view of it, the batteries would have to be the safest possible to avoid the accidents prevalent in all cheapo electronic endavours.

Cite your source for what you state, please. Consumer Reports is very popular, for example, as is cnet.com.

Then bring to the table that pink anodising isn't as durable as black and it'll likely get scratched up and lose it sooner than the regular black or similar, and you have another issue on your hands right there.

No scratch-proof light exists, as far as I know. Are you saying WOMEN lose stuff MORE than men do? Some might construe that as a sexist comment.

TL;DR, those women who are prone to liking flashlights already go for it, the same applies to men. Those who don't like them just see them as a necessary evil and will buy the dollar special running on 3xAAA and claim it's "just as good as" regardless of what you say or how you market it.

Women who "already go for it" was not my focus; my focus is that flashlight companies don't seem to care about marketing to women, one piece of evidence of such is the near sheer absence of the color pink. Pink sells! Many other industries know this and profit from it! This industry thinks otherwise, and without substantive proof. Women have had the right to vote in the U.S. for less than a hundred years. Why don't they have the right to a small, efficient, aesthetically pleasing pink flashlight? The answer is that some companies choose to believe either that women do not exist or drop not care. I amply challenged those beliefs that I have not yet seen refuted. Then they blame women for not buying the pink light they want to discontinue after not making NO effort to market to them! It's the old "blame the victim" mentality. My challenging that has apparently rocked the boat. I can handle it. Why can't they?

Note: despite my efforts to differentiate my words from the responder's, it did not come out "right" and I take responsibility for that. I apologize for that. I guess I need to take a class!

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
^ I agree with Burly. I am all for a variety of colors offered on lights, but would agree that a flashlight marketed to women or any other demographic should be designed from the start to address the needs of that demographic. Just changing the color of an existing product may not make it suitable for them. For example, I like blue, but I wouldn't buy a shiny blue light if it had a lousy UI or was missing a feature I really liked.

So perhaps an updated argument could be simply: why don't many manufacturers design flashlights marketed to women, in general?

Designed from the start? I don't know what that means. We all respond to color. Most women especially respond to pink. I would expect any company to make a light for women that is no less spec-oriented than one for men.

It's not enough to change the color. Companies are simply not interested in marketing lights to women. I contend that pink would help.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
My wife carries a factor equipment cossatot XL or an olight sr mini intimidator. This is like in a gun forum a man asking for help picking out a gun for his wife........ my answer is always take her to the store and let her see what fits. Strange strange post. I'm being civil I've hurt too many peoples MoMos on here lately

I made the point that more lights would be sold to half our species if properly marketed to them (to women). I also made the point that one way to do that was to make small lights in the color pink. I did not say it was the only way. But no company makes it a point to do such marketing. If they did, pink would be one way to both their heart and to their purses. Do you know of any other ways?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is literally the most sexist thing I've read in a long time and you aren't even trying to make it that way haha. I'm surprised women aren't on here bashing the hell out of you. What in the world is making you think pink flashlights is the main thing to help women get into them. And what in the world makes you think most women respond more to pink than other colors? Flashlights are tools. I'm so confused by all of this I'm stepping away.

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Why pink? Is that a women-only color? Can I be just as irate about a lack of orange?

You certainly can be irate! But I'm not irate. I'm passionate!

But you are not irate about a lack of orange or you would have posted such eons ago.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened

Various shades of pink could be test-marketed. Look what Apple did with the euphemistic Rose-Gold and many men still purchase it. I have no problem with that. My issue was that its pinkish hue is obfuscated and "covered up" by the gold and by the deceptive name. But that's marketing, right? :)

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My last 3 phones were "pink", i sold an Eagletac just so I could afford a custom one in prison pink, my handcuffs were pink, leading me to become the marketer for pink police equipment at my job (you won't believe how many people begged to be handcuffed by me when I carried them), I had a pink strion, a pink kydex holster for my purple sig-sauer (so many GUYS fought over them when I retired them), and there was never a complaint about the equipment. Spraying my hair blue was a different story...

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
This is literally the most sexist thing I've read in a long time and you aren't even trying to make it that way haha. I'm surprised women aren't on here bashing the hell out of you. What in the world is making you think pink flashlights is the main thing to help women get into them. And what in the world makes you think most women respond more to pink than other colors? Flashlights are tools. I'm so confused by all of this I'm stepping away.

I'm confused. Why would a woman who likes the color pink bash "the hell out of" me for advocating that color option in a flashlight? How does that make me sexist? Explain!

Again, ONE way "to help women get into" lights would be pink as an option AND targeted marketing to that half of our species. Not one woman I have given a pink light to acted merely politely or ho-hum; each RAVED about it and it unintendedly motivated them to carry it with them as well as to use it AND then report back to me without my asking how it aided them in whatever way. It BECAME their "tool". That is certainly not a scientific sampling! But without a dedicated effort from any flashlight company they will only know significantly less profits. Why are flashlight companies this way? Aren't lights tools for everyone? In whatever preferred color? Pink is not preferred because it is rarely offered. Pink sells. Women-owned companies know this. THEY profit from what other companies refuse either to research or to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.