Acebeam        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The IDIOCY of Pink Phobia

Default Re: The IDIOCY of Pink Phobia

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    For everyone discounting this thread or saying it's sexist, keep in mind that Gillette had a press release a couple years ago that men and women's razors use the exact same blades and technology. Not only that, but they charge more for the women's stuff.
    And, that's kind of a sexist marketing practice. If you want an example that got even more laughing (or "drama"?) take a look at the ill-conceived marketing of "Bic For Her" pens. As if a slim barrel and pretty pastel colors wouldn't appeal to any men. As if women needed to be told "hey! these are for you!"
    Any sort of gendered marketing is very easily a step over the line towards patronizing, so (IMHO) it's way better to just offer the colors or styles and let them speak for themselves. I'd way rather have pink and floral than black with a silver skull or spiky things on it. Black with a bright floral is especially pretty. Pilot G2 Victoria pens, for instance. I think that's better marketing. Sure, Victoria is a female name, but it just as much makes me think of Victorian England and the aesthetic style of the era. It's more subtle than "for her."

That said, I'd love to see more color offerings for flashlights, especially high visibility. I kinda hate yellow or yellow-orange, though, even though it serves the purpose. Convoy has some nice colors like the purple. Sure, the anodize isn't as tough, but it's a trade-off I'm willing to make. Thick, hard anodize like a Zebralight still dents and scratches easily, so I'm not that sold on the general utility of anodize as anything but decoration. I also rarely take my lights outside. Maybe for serious use it makes more of a difference (softer things like wood it rubs against?) Not tough enough that I can use the H53 clip without scratches, no matter what color it was. Or drop it on the bathroom floor without denting the bezel. That's the kind of toughness I'd like to see. Pelikan and UK are tough, and come in a yellow that almost does glow in the dark. Styles aren't great.

I haven't "passionately" posted about a lack of color because, well, I guess I'm not _that_ passionate about it. Also, I tend to post about either info I have or info I'm looking for. Something has to really bug me for me to post a pure complaint with little or no hope it'll make any difference. SkyRC's 50mA trickle and the H53 clip have bugged me lately, but I just replied about those rather than starting a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    This is literally the most sexist thing I’ve read in a long time and you aren’t even trying to make it that way haha. I’m surprised women aren’t on here bashing the hell out of you.
    Just gonna pull up a chair, and wait for Greta to find this thread.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by radellaf View Post
    And, that's kind of a sexist marketing practice. If you want an example that got even more laughing (or "drama"?) take a look at the ill-conceived marketing of "Bic For Her" pens. As if a slim barrel and pretty pastel colors wouldn't appeal to any men. As if women needed to be told "hey! these are for you!"
    To be fair, Gillette does have differences in the ergonomics and handle shapes, so it's not like it's just the same razor in a different color. Whether those differences actually matter or not, I have no idea.

Maybe it's not my place to have an opinion but I don't see marketing to segments as sexist or discriminatory. From a marketers point of view, you sell BLACK RIFLE COFFEE (tm) to one crowd, deodorant branded as women's to a different crowd and a keyboard with RGB and a sharply angled mouse to a different crowd. There have been plenty of studies on differences in consumption and purchasing habits across genders, age, race etc. and it makes sense to sell to different segments differently. Marketing is awesome (and also horrible) as it's not political or morally driven, it's all about the data. There's no agenda other than money (greed?).

Edit: To be clear, I cant say simply making a pink light is a good idea from a business perspective, and when executed without finesse its simply pandering. That being said, if you consider it sexism as it plays off stereotypes (albeit ones supported by data), almost all of marketing utilizes stereotyping and as such is racist, abelist, ageist etc.

Edit 2: Maybe I'm biased because I just want a pink flashlight.
    Last edited by Ozythemandias; 07-29-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Okay, so here’s something interesting to consider.

Originally, something (we’ll go with razors just to choose one among many examples) was marketed to nobody in general, and it was assumed that men would be the buyer.

Then, to differentiate from the pack, manufacturers made their product more manly, more masculine, and thus the target audience became men specifically.

Then the marketers (or women groups) decided it was unfair or sexist that a company didn’t make/market a product “for them”. They got mad, and so we had a rash of “for her” (strong enough for a man - made for a woman) products hit the market. They were softer, curvier, pink, whatever. And that was to be less sexist.

And then now, those same feminist groups or marketers have gotten weirdly complicated and said “why is pink automatically feminine? My daughter/wife/sister can like blue just as much as pink. My son/husband/brother can like pink - it’s not just for girls. Gender-normative is the new nazi” type of thing. So suddenly the solution that used to be the definition of inclusion - making feminine-styled versions of products - has suddenly flipped to be the new definition of sexist, presuming to force Barbie style on women being the depths of sexism.

I’m not sure I worded that all properly (I’m not a lawyer or politician), but I think you catch my meaning. It’s just an interesting phenomenon to see yesterday’s gender-inclusion practices suddenly flip to be considered the depths of sexism. Make sense?

People are dumb.

My wife says pink is implies negative messages. She likes to adjust attitudes of dope smoking hippies with rainbow colored stuff.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-29-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Just gonna pull up a chair, and wait for Greta to find this thread.
    Or Empath ?

Judging by the breadth of the discussion here, I have moved this thread to /The Cafe/.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 07-29-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjb View Post
    Okay, so here’s something interesting to consider.

Originally, something (we’ll go with razors just to choose one among many examples) was marketed to nobody in general, and it was assumed that men would be the buyer.

Then, to differentiate from the pack, manufacturers made their product more manly, more masculine, and thus the target audience became men specifically.

Then the marketers (or women groups) decided it was unfair or sexist that a company didn’t make/market a product “for them”. They got mad, and so we had a rash of “for her” (strong enough for a man - made for a woman) products hit the market. They were softer, curvier, pink, whatever. And that was to be less sexist.

And then now, those same feminist groups or marketers have gotten weirdly complicated and said “why is pink automatically feminine? My daughter/wife/sister can like blue just as much as pink. My son/husband/brother can like pink - it’s not just for girls. Gender-normative is the new nazi” type of thing. So suddenly the solution that used to be the definition of inclusion - making feminine-styled versions of products - has suddenly flipped to be the new definition of sexist, presuming to force Barbie style on women being the depths of sexism.

I’m not sure I worded that all properly (I’m not a lawyer or politician), but I think you catch my meaning. It’s just an interesting phenomenon to see yesterday’s gender-inclusion practices suddenly flip to be considered the depths of sexism. Make sense?

People are dumb.
    Your argument is perfectly understandable, and sadly it's becoming more and more common to see this where something that was originally made to placate a group of people suddenly gets seen as something negative towards them, even if it actively hurts the people this new product actually was for.

It's not just with flashlights, it's with everything. In comparison to the myriad of other colors out there, pink is just not a popular color with almost everything you can think of. Tools, cars, appliances, furnishings, homes, even most clothes in a store....very few pink items to be found. It isn't perceived as an elegant color either so it isn't found on anything I know if that is expensive marketed to the rich and famous. I don't own a single item that is pink. My wife doesn't like it, my girls don't even care for the color in general let alone have an item with that color. As an accent color sure if it compliments well, but not a stand alone.

Its good that there are people with varying opinions on colors to give that spectrum splash on life. I do think though that there are some colors that are more popular than others and it shows.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Wow. So much to say about this thread!

I guess I'll start with the burning issue that everyone is waiting with baited breath for me to weigh in on...

---- Yup! I think it's VERY sexist! All I can think of is the KelTec pink camo PMR 30. First time I saw that I was totally offended. It's like... we girls are so stupid about guns that the only way we'll be attracted to them or buy them is if they are pink... CAMO no less! "OMG!! It's so CUTE!!!"... yeah... we're that kind of dumb. - The way I see it is if someone is interested in a product because of its color, they seriously know nothing at all about that product to begin with and are not likely to develop an interest because let's face it... buying a gun or a flashlight cuz it's pink... is pretty shallow, superficial... and well... dumb.

Regarding men's and women's razors...

---- They actually ARE built differently! Sure they use the same blades but the housing and functionality of each of them is different. We women use those shavers on WAY more body parts than men do. Manufacturers have taken that into consideration and adjusted the movement of the razor head as well as the handle for different grips on the shaver to accommodate the different topography we women have to navigate around and over. At first men's and women's shavers looked pretty much the same so you really couldn't tell the difference if you put the two together in the shower. So Bic started making them in different colors so people could tell them apart.. because they WERE different. Yes, it was very cliche they went with blue for boys and pink for girls.. but it really was the most logical choice for the purpose.

As far as making a pink flashlight and putting my name on it? ---- I will hunt you down with my pink camo gun and hit you over the head with it... cuz, you know... I'm too dumb to know how to use it properly. But it's SO CUTE!!!

(Just kidding about owning a pink camo gun - Only way I would own one of those is to use it for target practice with my black Baby Glock )

And the most obvious response to why manufacturers do not make products to appeal to certain demographics is because they would be wasting their time and money. I'm sure they have done their research to determine where the largest interest is and who is their largest market. Obviously the market for pink flashlights is just not there regardless of the gender of the buyer. In addition one has to just look at the demographics of something like CPF to see there is a higher interest in flashlights by men than women. It's not very scientific, of course, but it does matter when it comes to marketing. Is THAT sexist? Nope. Just smart marketing. Why fill up your inventory with a bunch of pink flashlights when the majority of your buyers are NOT going to buy them?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    My wife says pink is implies negative messages. She likes to adjust attitudes of dope smoking hippies with rainbow colored stuff.
    I am so glad my wife likes the rainbow color of Ti plated PL2.
    Johnny, You'll never see it on my key chain

Greta’s post about the pink guns just reminded me that I have kinda wanted one of those hot pink Spydercos with the polished clips for years. And I am a pretty dudely dude. Lol. I should see what models come in that color anymore.

Thanks Greta,
    I've been numbed into silence by this one.
    I think you said it all.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Who knew so many flashaholics were so woke?! If I read the word sexist one more time ...... I'm a gunna
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Greta’s post about the pink guns just reminded me that I have kinda wanted one of those hot pink Spydercos with the polished clips for years. And I am a pretty studly dude. Lol. I should see what models come in that color anymore.
    FIFY.

Addendum; Unless you look like this guy -
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 07-29-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Well that is very kind but I did mean dudely.. like, I wouldn’t consider myself especially effeminate, despite liking those pink Spydies. Hahaha

Flashaholic*

I would carry a pink spyderco
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

How far we've fallen. Any led flashlight for girls? Posted a mere six years ago - 87 posts, and not once was the thread or OP labeled as being sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Well that is very kind but I did mean dudely.. like, I wouldn’t consider myself especially effeminate, despite liking those pink Spydies. Hahaha
    Oh! dudely! Silly me. I read it as Dudley; as in Dudley Do Right. I gotta learn to read.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    How far we've fallen. Any led flashlight for girls? Posted a mere six years ago - 87 posts, and not once was the thread or OP labeled as being sexist.
    Probably because the OP was a girl and wasn’t demanding that women had to carry pink flashlights. Totally different objective, totally different thread. I’m the least PC human on earth and was thrown off by this thread haha
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

IYP07 in Pink with the ToolVN AAA treatment might be a good choice.
    http://www.lumintop.com/iyp07.html

We might be able to talk Lumintop into doing a run with unique laser prints as they seem to be flexible with custom branded lights.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

+

"By the way, which one's Pink?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Or Empath ?

Judging by the breadth of the discussion here, I have moved this thread to /The Cafe/.
    Never met Empath in real life, but most members think he's a guy.

Oh! I see Greta has commented above. This should be good!
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-30-2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Typo fixed.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

"By the way, which one's Pink?"

Whichever one is named "Floyd."

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Never met Empath is real life, but most members think he's a guy. [...]
    Not the direction of my thoughts at all; he runs a tight ship here in The Cafe - and this thread certainly has some dubious aspects ...
    Last edited by Kestrel; 07-29-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Funny story... and perhaps it does somewhat go with the OP's point... in a somewhat different way?!?!?

Just last week there was an armed robbery at a convenience store/gas station in our town. The suspect pulled a pink hand gun out of her pink purse to demand the cash out of the register.

.... or maybe this incident goes more along with -MY- point?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    I am so glad my wife likes the rainbow color of Ti plated PL2.
    Johnny, You'll never see it on my key chain
    Didn't matter to Mrs. Fixer if I liked it or not.

Mrs Fixers keys started out with a silver one until the rainbow arrived.
    It took her like 000.93 seconds to decide "we needed to trade PL2's" lol.

I am glad her razor is pink though. Good gosh, those swivel head thingys she uses make my face look like I ran through a briar bush. Fixed head for this shaver.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-29-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Just last week there was an armed robbery at a convenience store/gas station in our town. The suspect pulled a pink hand gun out of her pink purse to demand the cash out of the register.
    Going to speculate that it expelled supersonic bits of lead if called upon to do so as well as the same model in the more pedestrian black, stainless, FDE, etc. Only with greater visual distinction, possibly aiding in apprehension of the suspect.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    Going to speculate that it expelled supersonic bits of lead if called upon to do so as well as the same model in the more pedestrian black, stainless, FDE, etc.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    Only with greater visual distinction, possibly aiding in apprehension of the suspect.
    Proving my point that people who buy pink guns aren't the brightest bulbs on the string... but hey! They sure look cute being dumb!

Quote Originally Posted by LetThereBeLight! View Post
    The central reason I was given was that a pink light simply would not sell.
    Okay, so why do you need further explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by LetThereBeLight! View Post
    Of course it is NOT going to sell WITHOUT THE PROPER MARKETING!
    When the company tells you it won't sell, they are examining the cost of the marketing campaign, raw materiels, retooling, etc. for a product line and determining that it won't be profitable after those costs. The money they would spend to get you a pretty pink flashlight would return greater profit if spent elsewhere. So, it gets spent elsewhere.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast