Need flashlight recomendations for rural police officer

Orix

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm a rural police officer that regularly faces search and rescue scenarios of lost children or elderly people or just searching for suspects in pitch black fields and wooded areas. I'm looking for a long-lasting, durable flashlight as I could be searching for hours in rain and sometimes snow. My preferences are below.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__X_This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
_X_Up to $100.
_X_Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
_X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__X_SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
_X_MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__X_I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
__X_I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
___I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
_X__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__X_I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
__X_Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__X_50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
__X_3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__X_Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

_X__Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X_I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
__X_Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__X_Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
__X_IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
__X_Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I don't know if this meets all of your checkmarks, but, I would recommend the Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L (you can use a 3 or 4 cell CR123 body and have a choice of rechargeable batteries, 2 18500 in 3 cell or 2 18650 in 4 cell), or the Elzetta Bravo with AVS head in the 2 cell CR123 body ( you can use 2 RCR123 batteries). Both have a good combination of throw and spill and very tough lights. If you want a smaller head than either you can look at the Malkoff M91T head.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a Peace Officer Park Ranger and highly recommend a Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog. It easily lights up an entire field for more wide searching and has enough spill to keep 8+ subjects illuminated during a contact. The ability to chose wether the light comes on in high or low is also a very nice feature of Malkoff lights.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hound dog is fantastic if you can get past the no battery pack part. I'll throw in a few more just for options sake.

Olight SR52UT
Olight javelot pro

The runtime is what will be hard to achieve.

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened
Imho, there's two Olight's to consider: the 2,000 Lu 560 m Warrier-X ~ $130, and the 1,100 Lu 800 m SR52UT ~ $105

I've scanned perimeters and spotted addresses from my car with the SR52UT since February of 2015 and I've carried the Warrier-X every night since April of 2019

Flooders compromise night-adapted vision, these don't; the Warrier-X has a 60° spill and the SR52UT has a 64° spill (my own measurements using a calibrated door and high school math)

Fwiw, I EDC'd a Zebralight SC600 from 2012 until I bought the Warrier-X for nights, but I find myself grabbing the Warrier-X a lot in the daytime now, even if it's head is a little bigger than my beloved ZebraLight ~ YMMV

Olight; please make a 21700 battery version of your wonderful Warrier too :poke: :grin2:

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my lights I have do not have integrated recharging capabilities but I ditched all my primaries, and bought a good charger for rechargeable whatever I need.

I have and recommend the First-Light LE T-Max. They make some of the best lights I ve seen but still not well known. HDS Systems EDC Tactical or Rotary 325 NLT are great lights but do not match the performance of the T Max.

I haven't had a Hound Dog but I d like to as I ve seen what they can do and it's impressive.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Stinger HL will cover all of your needs with the exception of being either Stainless Steel (too heavy) or Titanium (too expensive), stick with anodised aluminium, it's lighter and will survive duty use.

The current 800 lumen version of the Stinger HL will out throw the Hounddog, it also has three level settings and you will be able to still search on the lower setting giving you up to 5 hours runtime.

The Stinger is also available with a head switch but can also be purchased with a tail switch, the dual switch version is referred to as the Stinger HL DS.

Buy a couple of extra batteries and you'll be good to cope with any eventuality, the NiMH batteries will cope better with large temperature changes than Li-ion batteries.

The Stinger requires a cradle to charge it and a version is available that will charge a spare battery at the same time, it's called a PiggyBack smart charger (part number 75434). If you have the cradle mounted in your vehicle then the light will always be at its maximum charge when you need to use it.

Plus accessories such as a Traffic Wand and belt holsters etc are available for the Stinger series of lights.

I don't know if this meets all of your checkmarks, but, I would recommend the Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L (you can use a 3 or 4 cell CR123 body and have a choice of rechargeable batteries, 2 18500 in 3 cell or 2 18650 in 4 cell), or the Elzetta Bravo with AVS head in the 2 cell CR123 body ( you can use 2 RCR123 batteries). Both have a good combination of throw and spill and very tough lights. If you want a smaller head than either you can look at the Malkoff M91T head.

+1

matt4350

Enlightened
I've just finished a 4 year stint doing what you mention in the OP (except I didn't have snow, just filthy heat!). I got myself an Olight SR52, very happy with it. Throws well and integrated charging, but definitely carried in the car and not on the belt.

That said, they didn't have the Stinger HL that Dave talks of, when I got sent remote. Dave knows what he's talking about when it comes to lights for cops, and that light seems pretty cool and dandy to me. I had intended to get one, but the missus has temporarily barred me from new purchases (seems buying a house is more important than lights, dunno...).

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome!

As soon as someone mentions Mil/LEO, that means durability to me, and utmost trust in your tools as lives may depend on it. With that said, the choices become very limited in my mind. Malkoff & Surefire would be at the top of my list.

Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L
MD4 Body (2x18650)
Tricap (for better grip)

It's got a hi/low built in with a slight twist of the head. The 2x18650 setup will get you a long runtime that you desire.

Buy some good quality 18650 protected cells, a decent charger, and you're off to the races. There are quite a few options on cells/charger but Malkoff also sells Keepower 18650's and Nitecore D2. One stop shopping.

I've got the Hound Dog XM-L and love it.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave knows what he's talking about when it comes to lights for cops, and that light seems pretty cool and dandy to me.

Thanks for the comment Matt!! :thumbsup:

I also only recommend kit that I've got and compared to other flashlights, hence this small selection of my flashlights!

47030053484_3663cf693c_b.jpg

Maglite upgraded to 1000 lumens / StreamLight Stinger / Malkoff Hounddog / Surefire Lawman / Malkoff M91T / Surefire Fury / Malkoff MD2

In addition to the Stinger HL I highly recommend the Malkoff M91T MD3 as a belt light.

These are about the only two flashlights you'd ever need.

32872806777_c2ba45685c_c.jpg

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Ultra Stinger LED is another one to take a look at, a little longer than the others due to it's longer battery, but it's beam can really reach out there. The Maglite ML150 is also a good thrower. Both use vehicle chargers.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too recommend Dave's suggestion, primarily for the cradle charging ability and the fact that it uses NiMh instead of Li-Ion, which as he said is better for wider temperature ranges.

SKV89

Enlightened
The Olight Seeker 2 Pro for reliability and overall performance. The Skylumen D4Svn with W2 emitters for ultimate pocketable performance.

Note that none of the suggestions are for stainless or Ti. That is OK. Modern anodized aluminum provides light weight, strength, and excellent corrosion resistance.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium grade 5 is more desirable and harder wearing than HA type 3 but also significantly more expensive. Stainless... I have yet to see a stainless flashlight.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Titanium grade 5 is more desirable and harder wearing than HA type 3 but also significantly more expensive. Stainless... I have yet to see a stainless flashlight.
I've got the one-off stainless Aeon II that Enrique had made. Gifted several stainless LD01's to friends back when they were available.