Surefire A2 LED Aviator upgrade, also thoughts?

Signalcorpsoperator

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Just picked up a used Surefire A2 LED Aviator, not a bad light at all! I have one of the original incan A2s, but that is honestly a shelf queen being it is literally brand new. :twothumbs

Has anyone, or does anyone out here do any work to swap out the stock while LED with a newer/brighter one? I'd love to see if there would be any options to perhaps swap this out for a Nichia 219 warm white...

Also, does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations/experiences with this light they care to share?

Thanks a bunch!
Tom

808vudoo

Enlightened
Aloha Tom, I just went through a similar process of modding/upgrading my old A2 for daily use around the house.

I had originally planned to swap out the 3 primary leds, for something warmer and brighter, then upgrade the Incan to a higher powered unit. I was specifically looking at a Tad bi-pin or the newer Lumen Factory, Nichia tower. Surprisingly after swapping out the 3 leds with the Yuji, high cri 3200k the light became hugely desirable to use, and in most circumstances, I found the Incan upgrade is no longer a necessity.

The ledupgrade provides enough light for walking trails and that incan is more than available for quick burst, and you know, just to enjoy that warm candlelight glow. The blend and transition between the two light sources is gorgeous and this is quickly becoming one of my favorite carry lights again. Some pics attached for reference...hopefully this helps.

Picture 1: parts and pieces
Picture 2: led ring with all stock led, 1 stock 1 Yuji, all Yuji
Picture 3: top two frames, stock led with Incan added. Bottom two frames, Yuji then stock Incan blending in nicely

Attachments

• 660CBE1C-C475-416D-A533-5AE6D5C2C05C.jpg
    660CBE1C-C475-416D-A533-5AE6D5C2C05C.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 6EB963FF-1916-4863-98E0-D3072CFFE9AE.jpg
    6EB963FF-1916-4863-98E0-D3072CFFE9AE.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 119
  • 63A58096-58E4-4D22-B648-14AAD8375228.jpg
    63A58096-58E4-4D22-B648-14AAD8375228.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 132

808vudoo

Enlightened
Lol...in my excitement to share this recent mod, I finally re-read the title: A2L. L!
Admin please feel free to delete or start a different thread.Surefire Mania at it's best.
thanks, D.

Signalcorpsoperator

Newly Enlightened
Hey there Guys,

Perfect! Thanks for the info and link to that old thread, I'll be sure to go through it here!! :twothumbs And good deal, glad to have been able to "create" a new post about it! Great little light, I'm sure it will be a favorite here!

808 - Aloha! Lol, no problem, I'm perfectly OK with learning about upgrading the LED ring for the A2 (non-L), as I have one of those as well!!

Looks like the mods you did came out great, and the light output is superb! Where did you manage to locate those LEDs? I wouldn't mind picking up some, I have a spare A2 head with ring that I wouldn't mind upgrading with better LEDs. :twothumbs I picked up the A2 head second-hand, just need to locate a piece of glass for it, it was dropped and the lens cracked, :mecry:but the led ring still works OK (blue LEDs)...

I too have thought about picking up one of the Lumens Factory LED tower drop in units to replace the original incan, but I quite honestly never use the light much, so it might not be worth spending the extra money on. .

Thanks so much for the replies!!!

Tom

808vudoo

Enlightened
Hi Tom, looking forward to seeing what you come up with for mods on those A2.

I was able to purchase those Yuji leds from Mountain Electronics some time ago, but unfortunately when I checked this week, they are out of stock. Wasn't there a group buy of these a few months back?

Aloha D

Hey there Guys,

Perfect! Thanks for the info and link to that old thread, I'll be sure to go through it here!! :twothumbs And good deal, glad to have been able to "create" a new post about it! Great little light, I'm sure it will be a favorite here!

808 - Aloha! Lol, no problem, I'm perfectly OK with learning about upgrading the LED ring for the A2 (non-L), as I have one of those as well!!

Looks like the mods you did came out great, and the light output is superb! Where did you manage to locate those LEDs? I wouldn't mind picking up some, I have a spare A2 head with ring that I wouldn't mind upgrading with better LEDs. :twothumbs I picked up the A2 head second-hand, just need to locate a piece of glass for it, it was dropped and the lens cracked, :mecry:but the led ring still works OK (blue LEDs)...

I too have thought about picking up one of the Lumens Factory LED tower drop in units to replace the original incan, but I quite honestly never use the light much, so it might not be worth spending the extra money on. .

Thanks so much for the replies!!!

Tom