Locator Flash Speed/Brightness

tyu

Newly Enlightened
What determines the speed of the locator flash? I would assume the clock signals would be relatively similar, resulting in flashes of similar speed, but I've noticed some of my lights flashing considerably faster than others.

At what brightness level does the flash happen?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
What determines the speed of the locator flash? I would assume the clock signals would be relatively similar, resulting in flashes of similar speed, but I've noticed some of my lights flashing considerably faster than others.

At what brightness level does the flash happen?

I believe it has to do with the blood pressure of the elf in the light... or heart rate.
I'll try to remember to ask Henry on Monday... until then elf heart rate and blood pressure.
I'm sure I'm right.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, it has more to do with the metric rate of beer consumption than anything. Pretty sure I can find a supporting link somewhere...

tyu

Newly Enlightened
I've been wanting to do this for a while: (edit: When putting everything back I realized I left 2 out. Oops.)

Video in the light:

Video in the dark:

Still image:
JOtxOZ0l.jpg

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absence from blod pressure, heart rate, beer and other interesting things. Here I have a description:
I assume the Microcontroller that is used in the HDS (aka Elf) uses the internal oscillator. This occillator has a specific deviation. That means one Controller uses an interal Clock of let say 3.005MHz, and other one uses 2.992MHz due to the deviation that Comes from the manufacturing process. Depending on how the locator Flash is being created in the Software Code it is been done by Interrupt / usage of internal timers or delay loops. But anyway how the locator Flash is done, the timer uses the clock and therefore the Deviation will go into a Deviation of the locatior Flash directly. It the locator Flash is creted with delay loops than the fact is ech command Needs a specific number of Clock cycles to be executed. If a Microcontroller has a Clock that is a Little bit higher, the delay is Shorter and vice versa.

But I agree Hogos Explanation is easier to understand…:thumbsup:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absence from blod pressure, heart rate, beer and other interesting things. Here I have a description:
I assume the Microcontroller that is used in the HDS (aka Elf) uses the internal oscillator. This occillator has a specific deviation. That means one Controller uses an interal Clock of let say 3.005MHz, and other one uses 2.992MHz due to the deviation that Comes from the manufacturing process. Depending on how the locator Flash is being created in the Software Code it is been done by Interrupt / usage of internal timers or delay loops. But anyway how the locator Flash is done, the timer uses the clock and therefore the Deviation will go into a Deviation of the locatior Flash directly. It the locator Flash is creted with delay loops than the fact is ech command Needs a specific number of Clock cycles to be executed. If a Microcontroller has a Clock that is a Little bit higher, the delay is Shorter and vice versa.

But I agree Hogos Explanation is easier to understand…:thumbsup:
thanks, a bit ove rmy head but the last part makes perfect sense to me.

i played around with 3 of mine today and they played music together. I neve payed any attention to this; although i have never turned on the locator flash on more than one light either until TYU posted this thread

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
I have done this before with two of my lights, one is a High Noon and one was the nb45. The locator flash of the High Noon was considerably faster than the other, I guess up to 50% faster.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I asked Henry...
He said the elf has a hard time keeping time when asleep... in a nutshell, and the elf is asleep between flashes.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current computer chip clock keeps lousy time when in the off state, hence the time differences. It's always the elf.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eventually we will be firing the elves and replacing them with gnomes.
We understand that city gnomes are better at keeping time... metro-gnomes.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good! How long did it take to think that one up?
I hope the elves belong to some sort of Union, there may be trouble ahead...

Dan, you should be on the stage,,,,

There's one leaving in 5 minutes.
P

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the elves suffer from dyschronometria, but when they do open up the trench coat, how bright is it?

That is a good question which I forgot to ask Henry, though I'm thinking it has to do with the emitter, as in what kind it is. Don't ask me why I think this... probably too much rum, but I'm thinking it runs on a different system/circuit... though I could be completely full of elf excrement. Wouldn't be the first time.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current computer chip clock keeps lousy time when in the off state, hence the time differences. It's always the elf.
That is normal if the controller is in one of the deeper sleep states. This is due to the power saving. Normally this feature is not being used for a "locator flash". It is being used for i.e. check a particular external state in a specific timespan. And for this application it is not important if this check is being triggered every let say second or only 0.9s.

Eventually we will be firing the elves and replacing them with gnomes.
We understand that city gnomes are better at keeping time... metro-gnomes.
As long as you do not use Hobbits or Orks everything should be fine. :D