In praise of the Opalec module.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I used a MiniM*g with a Kroll and an Opalec module held by a Niteize (sp?) head band to cut my back yard tonight.

VERY little light is otherwise back there.

Sure, something a lot brighter wouldn't have hurt. But to fit in the headband and barely use any power from CHEAP AA Alkys, what more could one ask for?

It is a most worthly mod for the mini!

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed.

I love the Opalec Newbeam, especially for low powered, short range work in which a flood beam is useful. Its great for getting up and down the stairs in blackouts for example.

Mattman

Enlightened
Amen to that, those things last forever on a couple of batteries. I gave one to my brother and he's been using the same set of batteries since Christmas - and he actually uses it very frequently!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Cant speak highly enough about this module in a Minimag. Although I dont use a Kroll on mine I have replaced the plastic lens with a glass one by FlashlightLens. The Minimag was (to me at least)obsolete until this module was provided. I actually like this combination so much I even bought another new Minimag to stuff another opalec into.

Doug

avusblue

Enlightened
I think this is the best mod for making a MiniMag into something useful. The Luxeon modules are brighter, but really don't offer anything you can't get with an Arc LS or other purpose-built lights. The Opalec is unique, and I especially love the little red LED that illuminates when the light falls out of regulation -- how cool is that!! I wish other regulated lights had that.

Cheers,

Dave

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
I agree, the Opalec Rocks!! I got one a few months back and I use it to find my CD's in low light, and have ended up using it all over the house, the quality of light it produces is better than my Inova X5T & TT 2L (Nichias) The batteries last forever!! Very impressive indeed!! BTW, dougmccoy--- did you notice a difference with the new lens?? is it worth it?... Thanks!

Steve Andrews

Enlightened
The Opalec is fantastic. The light output is just right for general "admin" tasks. Bright enough to see where you are going and what you are doing, but not too bright so that it blinds you when used for close-up work with dark-adjusted eyes.
I have Kroll and Mineral Glass on mine.
I don't like the NiteIze headband - the light is aimed too high.
I have found that 99% of the time I need to see "what I'm doing here" - not "what's going on over there"

Kiessling

Flashaholic
dito to all ... praise for the Opalec ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I have mine in an E1e on 1x123 and it rocks!
bernhard

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Mike Robbins,

I think you will find that the glass lens does indeed allow a little more light through. The main benefit to my mind is that it doesn't scratch easily and that means a clearer beam. I know that a figure of up to 8% more light is often quoted for incandescent lights which have the plastic lenses replaced with glass, but I dont think you will really see too much of an improvement between glass and plastic in the Minimag when they are both new. however, when the plastic is a few weeks down the road then it is obvious how much better glass is in the Minimag!

Doug

FlIrishman

Newly Enlightened
Well just to break the bubble, I was very disappointed with both the Opalec New Beam 3 LED and the InreTech AA Luxeon Adapter. I expected more light than these produce. My happiness lies in the Lambda Micro Illuminator which I carry in my pocket and the Sandwich Shop's 3 Watt Lux modules for the 2AA minimag!! Different Strokes, for Different Folkes!

Mattman

Enlightened
For those of you who haven't seen an Opalec in action, you should know that they are NOT light cannons! Think along the lines of an Arc AA - they're great in the dark at ranges below 25 feet, but if you turn them on during the day you probably won't be impressed. If you use one for your nighttime tasks for a while, you'll begin to understand why people like them so much - especially after you realize how long your batteries will last!

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
now that im waiting on my UK 4aa E-Led(you know, the "big brother" to the opalec) i noticed the UK 2aa. i love the form factor of that light! im wondering if an opalec newbeam could somehow be retrofitted to work in this light(UK 2aa)???? that would be great! and that way i wouldn't have to further support M*glite.

or does the opalec work in the brinkmann legend too???

JJHitt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I used a MiniM*g with a Kroll and an Opalec module held by a Niteize (sp?) head band to cut my back yard tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does that strap compare to "real" headlamp like the Aurora? How's the comfort and did you find you had to adjust it often to be pointing in the right direction? Does it slip?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I had the light pretty far forward in the band. The band is not elastic, instead is adjusted by (damn brain) that stuff that sticks together with hooks and such.

It was comfortable enough and pointed well enough.

I cheated a bit with a TT2L in LED mode, but hand held that did NOT last long.

All in all, the Opalec is GREAT around the house. I will always carry something stronger though...

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Steve regarding the NiteIze headband; it's not at all flexible enough with regard to angle, and aims the light up too high, unless you try to adjust the position of the whole strap in some cockeyed fashion- It feels too precarious when I position the light at a sufficiently rakish angle, with the thing feeling ready to fall off my head. There's no elastic on the strap, so adjustment to tight-enough-but-not-too-tight is pretty tricky.
Maybe it's the shape of my head... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

A real headlamp design would be preferable, but in a pinch, I guess it'd serve- and the Opalec is definitely a must-have for me too-

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you all put a kroll switch on a mini-mag?

Any link to parts and directions?

HgRyu

Enlightened
------------------------------------------------

Just buy a kroll from brightguy or sandwitch shoppe and remove tail cap of minimag and replace it with kroll.

And anybody have tried newbeam module in Firefly ?
As far as I know, Sandwitch of Firefly is interchangeable with Minimag. So I hope newbeam module fit in Firefly with no troublesome work. I want small size of Firefly and dim long runtime flashlight.

Thanks.

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

Any link to parts and directions?

[/ QUOTE ]
None needed, it's a single unit screw in replacement for the tailcap.

Remove old cap, place switch in hole, turn clockwise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you have a streamlight warranty shop nearby, just stop in and purchase a replacement tailcap for a Streamlight Jr., it's the same thing but without shipping charges.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Well, I am certainly in the "minority" here, but I agree with George's statement. A better choice for this type of light would be to buy a complete flashlight such as the Attitude. Not only is the light just as good, but you will have money leftover for more batteries. Am I the only one who would agree that the Attitude puts out equal quality light? If anyone wants to buy the Opalec, mine is available.