Zebralight H503w, H503c owners - green ring around beam?

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyone with experience using the Zebralight H503w? I was looking to get the H503c but am a bit wary due to reports of it having an ugly green ring around the beam. But if it is due to the construction of the headlamp and not the led itself I would assume the H503w suffers from the same problem :confused: Also any input on whether the H503c green ring is really that disturbing in real use is appreciated. The light would be mainly for indoor use. Thanks!

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know anything about the H503c but I bought an H503w earlier this year.
The tint was very beautiful and had no imperfections but I returned it because it was less bright than my H502w (maybe this was because it was one of the first specimens ??)

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
I don't know anything about the H503c but I bought an H503w earlier this year.
The tint was very beautiful and had no imperfections but I returned it because it was less bright than my H502w (maybe this was because it was one of the first specimens ??)

Thanks, this settles it so I will get the H503w! Max output is not that important for this light. As a fellow European do you order from NKON or from the Zebralight website?

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, this settles it so I will get the H503w! Max output is not that important for this light. As a fellow European do you order from NKON or from the Zebralight website?

I buy from both.If you need to buy only the light, you can buy it directly from the manufacturer with the shipping included in the price.
With Nkon, however, you certainly have a lower expectation to see the headlamp delivered and you can also ask if they select a good tint.

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
I buy from both.If you need to buy only the light, you can buy it directly from the manufacturer with the shipping included in the price.
With Nkon, however, you certainly have a lower expectation to see the headlamp delivered and you can also ask if they select a good tint.

Okey, I'll order from NKON to avoid delays and ask for a favorable tint, but they don't have the headband with a strap over the head so I'll have to get that from the ZL website. Thanks for the tips :thumbsup:

P.S. Does it support Lithium 14500 batteries or not? In the description it says it supports but I read somewhere ZL has dropped 14500 support :confused:

Last edited:

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
"Battery: One AA size NiMH, lithium or alkaline battery. Panasonic Eneloop or Eneloop Pro is highly recommended. Batteries are not included in the box."

So what's the deal
:thinking:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to me that the 14500 support is no longer there.
If you want to use a Zebralight with satisfaction you must use it with Eneloop batteries. (if you want to save money on Nkon you can also find battery Fujitsu)

Alternatively you could use the Energizer L91 Lithium disposable batteries but this is an expensive solution.
Alkaline batteries only in case of emergency (in addition to the risk of loss they do not make you see full power)
I don't understand what you say about the headband and headband, the elastic band (complete) is always included in every pack.

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Oh no 14500 support is a bit disappointing :( I could get Eneloops if my intellicharger i4 v2 bought in 2013 works with them, I wonder..? If I'd have to get a new charger that would be too much.

Does the included headband include the strap that goes over the head? The image on ZL website looks like it doesn't have it: http://www.zebralight.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/H503onheadband.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0

And they have 2 different headbands for sale for the H503w, with and without the top strap:
http://www.zebralight.com/Black-sil...le-top-strap-for-H53-H52-H502-H503_p_126.html
http://www.zebralight.com/Headband-with-black-silicone-holder-for-H51-H502-H503-H52-H53_p_110.html

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the old I4 also works with Eneloop.
It's been a long time since I bought a Zebra AA and I don't know if anything has changed in the meantime, but this year I bought three Headlamp Zebralight (18650) and they all have the complete headband in the box.
But you can ask Nkon this detail.

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
What a relief that they work with my charger :) Then it shouldn't be a problem to just buy a few Eneloops. Ok I will do as you suggested and check with NKON first so I don't buy the second headband for nothing. Thanks alot for your help Stefano! :twothumbs

NuisanceValue

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know only the 18650 headlamps come with a headband with a top strap. The headband for h503 I bought last year didn't have it.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
@NuisanceValue

I think you are right, the photos on the Zebralight website may be indicative but in the description everything is clear.

Accessories in the package:

H503w:
Two O-rings
Pocket clip
One headband with black silicone holder

H604c (and other 18650 headlamp)
Two O-rings
Pocket clip
Headband *with removable top strap* and a black silicone holder

Now I can't verify if the old version of Zebralight AA had the top strap (they are all packed)

I have never used the top strap on the Zebra 18650, it is the first thing I take off.
The AA versions are even lighter, I don't know in what situation it can be useful (running? Helmet mount?)
The Zebralight band is very stable, even without a top strap.
At this point I don't even know if it is sold as an accessory (on the Zebralight website and on Nkon I don't see it)

NuisanceValue

Newly Enlightened
I took a couple of photos last night to show the "green ring" issue. Hope these links work, sorry if not...
first H502d:
https://flic.kr/p/2gPyJJd

Next H503c:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/183145005@N03/13ik00

To be fair to the H503c you don't spend all your time looking at the edge of the beam, but it is annoying when I do see it! If the H503w has a clean beam like the H502d I might have to get one of those too...

Last edited:

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Wow thanks for the beamshots! Stefano do you think the H503w is closer to the H503c or H502d when looking at NuisanceValue's pictures?

The reason I'm looking for the top strap is that my current Armytek Wizard feels much better with the added support of the top strap. It is of course a heavier light too.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow thanks for the beamshots! Stefano do you think the H503w is closer to the H503c or H502d when looking at NuisanceValue's pictures?

The reason I'm looking for the top strap is that my current Armytek Wizard feels much better with the added support of the top strap. It is of course a heavier light too.

On the first question I don't know how to answer clearly from the photos I don't understand well.
I understand the reason why you are looking for the top band (I have numerous Armyteks too) they are weak and they also tend to loosen easily but I assure you that the Zebralight band is better, it is of a different material, slightly higher and thicker.
It supports the 18650 versions very well even without the top, I think you won't have any problems with an AA light.
In the past I bought several Zebralight bands to use them on Amytek Elf and Wizard but I still have to do the replacement :)

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Ah ok! Well in that case I might as well try the headband from NKON first before ordering the different one from ZL.com, thanks!

In the pictures it looks the H502d beam edge is "clean" whereas the H503c has a substantial green color edge. But from your earlier statement I understood that there is no green on the edge of the H503w beam?

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah ok! Well in that case I might as well try the headband from NKON first before ordering the different one from ZL.com, thanks!

In the pictures it looks the H502d beam edge is "clean" whereas the H503c has a substantial green color edge. But from your earlier statement I understood that there is no green on the edge of the H503w beam?

I used the H503w very little but the copy I had in my hands had a nice tint and had no rings (tested at home with white walls) I returned it exclusively because it was slightly less bright than my H502w and so for me it didn't have way to spend money on that.
Maybe I was unlucky.. ?

Just a hint: You have a charger down that supports 18650 batteries, why don't you try H604c or H604d?
They cost a few dollars more than the H503w but you would have much more power, autonomy and a Hi-Cri led

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
I used the H503w very little but the copy I had in my hands had a nice tint and had no rings (tested at home with white walls) I returned it exclusively because it was slightly less bright than my H502w and so for me it didn't have way to spend money on that.
Maybe I was unlucky.. ?

Just a hint: You have a charger down that supports 18650 batteries, why don't you try H604c or H604d?
They cost a few dollars more than the H503w but you would have much more power, autonomy and a Hi-Cri led

Ok good :) It's odd that the H503w was less bright as they are rated at 330lm vs 260lm in favor of the H503w :shrug:

I already have the Armytek Wizard v3 magnet (XP-L, warm white) which I am quite satisfied with and almost never have to charge it. I'm looking for something smaller and lighter mainly for sneaking around the house at night without waking everyone up, as well as doing some close-up work like fixing toys. I'd also like the wife to able to use it and she is used to a small TIP CRI. The H503 lights also seem to have a lower moonlight (0.013lm) than the H604 lights (0.08lm) and I would like to try out the 0.013lm mode as the 0.4lm Armytek moonlight is sometimes too bright. I would prefer hi CRI but color temperature and not having the green beam edge might be more important factors.