5mm LED without the diode

vew1

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

Does anyone know where I can get 5mm LED diode bulbs?

This but just the bulb, or the bulb and diode separated:

iu

Thanks in advance,

vew1

LRJ88

Enlightened
I'm somewhat confused, do you mean just the plastic part with none of the internals, or do you mean the clear plastic top?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brother I searched the deepest darkest depths of Chinese manufacturing last night and I can't find anybody selling just the lens. Good ol insomnia. That being said that's not to say they aren't sold my curiosity and sleeplessness just sent me down a rabbit hole.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Just out of interest, what are you going to use them for?
P

This is relevant. Without context, my response would be "snip the leads off if you need a dummy LED" however one suspects there's more to this, such as backlighting the blank which is inhibited a bit by the presence of the lead frame.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Depending on what you want to use them for maybe you could make your own by pouring epoxy into a mould you've made using a 5mm LED? Or maybe just add drops of hot glue if you just want that effect.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Can you use an existing 5mm LED to make a mold, and then pour clear acrylic casting resin into the mold? You can get these supplies at any craft store.

vew1

Newly Enlightened
Brother I searched the deepest darkest depths of Chinese manufacturing last night and I can't find anybody selling just the lens. Good ol insomnia. That being said that's not to say they aren't sold my curiosity and sleeplessness just sent me down a rabbit hole.

Thanks for looking, I did this as well. I am thinking about asking a manufacturer if they can sell just the dome lens.

vew1

Newly Enlightened
This is relevant. Without context, my response would be "snip the leads off if you need a dummy LED" however one suspects there's more to this, such as backlighting the blank which is inhibited a bit by the presence of the lead frame.

Precisely.

vew1

Newly Enlightened
Depending on what you want to use them for maybe you could make your own by pouring epoxy into a mould you've made using a 5mm LED? Or maybe just add drops of hot glue if you just want that effect.

Can you use an existing 5mm LED to make a mold, and then pour clear acrylic casting resin into the mold? You can get these supplies at any craft store.

That's what I'm coming around to, if I can't get someone in China to do it. I've been researching epoxy types and their pros/cons.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
A project that has little to do with LEDs acutally, haha...

You seem to have us guessing as to the end use but sounds like light diffuser of some type...but not LEDs?

How well this works optically if the source is behind the lens v. molded inside is a good question.

The idea of making an optical diffuser (or whatever) with casting resin is intriguing...I worked with this material years ago and had lots
of fun embedding coins, small crystals etc. or just making unusual shapes. Point is, usually needs machining afterwords..
grinding/sanding and polishing/buffing (reminding me of waterproof 400-grit sandpaper and buffing wheel).

Dave