Quark MKIII Preview Series

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
PrometheuslightsQuark MKIII Preview (1 of 8)⁠⠀⁠⠀

Nichia 319A LED: The perfect balance of power and beam quality.⁠⠀⁠⠀

We selected a 5000K color temperature with 80+ CRI (Color Rendering Index) for the new Quark to provide a balance of crisp white beam, CRI, and maximum output. One of the newest LEDs on the market, it offers a balance of high power and Nichia's legendary color rendering, delivered via a unique hexagon shaped LED die. Most LEDs are square, but Nichia designed the hex-die specifically to deliver more uniform color and beam pattern when paired with a reflector. ⁠⠀⁠⠀

The 319A also has much less color distortion from the center of the beam to the edge. A lot of LEDs will give you very bad "tint shift": the center of the beam is generally white, but then you get a gross yellow, green, and then purple/blue bands the farther you get from the center. This is just the physics of optics, but the 319A is specifically designed to minimize that distortion.⁠⠀⁠⠀#quark #quarkkickstarter #quarkmkiii #foursevensquark

Nichia319A.jpg
Nichia 319A Pic Link

Nichia319AvsXML2.jpg
Nichia 319A Versus Cree XM-L2 Pic link

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens

Quark MKIII Preview (2 of 8)⁠⁠

Burst Mode: Saves battery but gives you power when you want it .⁠

All new Foursevens lights feature "burst" mode: a fast double press will allow you to access 100% output at any time, from any previous level. You get full power for 30 seconds, and then the light ramps down (smoothly and imperceptibly) to high mode over the next 30 seconds. High mode is 60% output, and this is largely a battery saving feature, not a thermal management feature. Your eyes perceive this as only a single "step" in brightness. So running on full power is (usually) just a waste of battery. However, if you really do need 100% power...it's available any time. ⁠
#quark #quarkkickstarter #quarkmkiii #foursevensquark

beamLooking.jpg

Burst Beam Shot Pic

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
foursevens

Quark MKIII Preview (3 of 8)⁠⁠⁠

More robust mechanical design: Built for life.⁠

You won't notice, but we did. During torture testing we discovered that multiple (severe) impacts to the head of the light could cause the glass to crack, so we beefed up the diameter of the head (and the entire light) to better absorb this abuse and improve long term durability. This doesn't make it indestructable; however, we believe this small change will mean the Quark can better handle whatever your life has to throw at it.⁠

BezelThickness.jpg

Bezel Thickness

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens

Quark MKIII Preview (4 of 8)⁠⁠⁠

Ergonomics: No detail escapes our obsession.⁠

Most people don't know this, but the pocket clip is one of the most important ergonomic features of an EDC flashlight. It also contributes more to the feeling of "grip" than the body shape or texture. ⁠

Prometheus is known for making the best pocket clips in the game. I've taken my decade of experience and customer feedback and made the Quark clip a functional piece of art. The shape makes pocketing effortless, it holds securely, and adds additional grip to the light for a perfect fit in hand. ⁠

We are also offering the traditional "deep carry" clip in black as an accessory, for those who prefer a light that rides very low in the pocket.⁠

Ergonomics.jpg
Ergonomics Pic

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens

Quark MKIII Preview (5 of 8)⁠⁠⁠

Tailstand Cap: It used to be complicated, but now it's not.⁠

Everyone has different preferences and the tailstand cap allows you to choose yours. The standard proud tailcap allows easiest access to the tailcap button, but because the button is proud, you can't tailstand the Quark to light up a room. In the past you had to disassemble the tail of the light and swap in a new switch and button if you wanted the light to tailstand. Now all you have to do is snap on the new tailstand cap, which is backwards compatible with all Quarks ever made. ⁠

When I said longevity I wasn't kidding.⁠

QuarkMKIIItailstand.jpg
TailStand Pic

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens

Quark MKIII Preview (6 of 8)⁠⁠⁠⁠

Solid Copper (Direct Thermal) MCPCB: This stands for Metal Core Printed Circuit Board and serves as the mounting base for the LED. ⁠

This technology is only seen in the highest end lights (because it's expensive) and Prometheus was the first company to adopt this technology to production flashlights many years ago. Direct Thermal means the LED is soldered directly to the copper substrate for maximum heat dissipation. Our MCPCBs transfer heat 77x better than traditional designs found in lesser flashlights. Removing this heat allows your light to maintain maximum output instead of constantly falling output due to overheating the LED. An overheated LED will die long before it hits its 10,000 hour life span. Major enginerding here, but that's the job. This is one place many manufacturers skimp on cost because they don't think you'll know the difference, but now you do⁠

SolidCopperPill.jpg
CopperPill

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens

⁠Quark MKIII Preview (7 of 8)⁠⁠⁠⁠

DIY Friendly: So you want to mess with our lights? Go ahead - *Warning...more nerd content* ⁠

Unlike most industries, flashlights have been driven by the little guys (individual makers and modders working at home); people who love tinkering with technology and we intend to honor that tradition. Most manufacturers (including Foursevens in the past) glued or thread locked certain components so they cannot be disassembled without a lot of effort and/or destroying the light. No more. I say tinker on my friends! Yeah, it will void your warranty, but you know how to take things apart, fix them, and put them back together. You've got this.⁠

Wrenches.jpg
Wrenches Pic

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens

Quark MKIII Preview (8 of 8)⁠⁠⁠⁠⠀
⁠⠀
80+ Color Rendering Index (CRI): Meets the ANSI indoor lighting standard ⁠⠀
⁠⠀
CRI is scientific measure of how accurately a light source reproduces colors compared to sunlight. I'm obsessed with beam quality, and accurate color rendering is an absolute must. The Nichia 319A we selected has 80+ CRI, which is the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standard for indoor lighting. I normally prefer even higher CRI, but to get higher CRI you have to sacrifice brightness. We chose this specific LED because it's the highest brightness available while maintaining a minimum of 80 CRI. Balance, remember? LED selection is absolutely the easiest place to skimp on cost (better LEDs cost more) and "cheap" LED lights tend to have horrible CRI at or below 65. ⁠⠀
⁠⠀

95CRI.jpg
95 CRI pic

80CRI.jpg
80 CRI pic

65CRI.jpg
65 CRI pic

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty nice. I've been looking for a nice 2AA set up for a while and just haven't been 100% with any that I've seen or tried in a long time. VERY tempted here.

SKV89

Enlightened
Bought these from the Kickstarter. Tested them with the Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights and Sekonic C-800-U.

4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2ABurst480 lumens5359K0.0007 DUV83.4 CRI21.5 R963.0 R1281 Rf98 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2AH266 lumens5253K0.0015 DUV83.6 CRI21.2 R961.8 R1281 Rf98 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2AM71 lumens5073K0.0027 DUV83.7 CRI20.0 R960.4 R1282 Rf97 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2AL (hidden mode)24 lumens4980K0.0033 DUV84.0 CRI21.5 R955.0 R1282 Rf97 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK16LBurst635 lumens5370K0.0007 DUV85.3 CRI27.0 R965.4 R1283 Rf98 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK16LH367 lumens5268K0.0017 DUV84.9 CRI25.8 R963.9 R1283 Rf97 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK16LM87 lumens5115K0.0027 DUV85.5 CRI26.8 R961.7 R1283 Rf96 Rgincluded battery

The QK2A has a 24 lumen mode that I somehow landed on but is not easily repeatable. Maybe just an unintentional easter egg in the driver.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought these from the Kickstarter. Tested them with the Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights and Sekonic C-800-U.

4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2ABurst480 lumens5359K0.0007 DUV83.4 CRI21.5 R963.0 R1281 Rf98 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2AH266 lumens5253K0.0015 DUV83.6 CRI21.2 R961.8 R1281 Rf98 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2AM71 lumens5073K0.0027 DUV83.7 CRI20.0 R960.4 R1282 Rf97 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2AL (hidden mode)24 lumens4980K0.0033 DUV84.0 CRI21.5 R955.0 R1282 Rf97 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK16LBurst635 lumens5370K0.0007 DUV85.3 CRI27.0 R965.4 R1283 Rf98 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK16LH367 lumens5268K0.0017 DUV84.9 CRI25.8 R963.9 R1283 Rf97 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK16LM87 lumens5115K0.0027 DUV85.5 CRI26.8 R961.7 R1283 Rf96 Rgincluded battery

The QK2A has a 24 lumen mode that I somehow landed on but is not easily repeatable. Maybe just an unintentional easter egg in the driver.

Fantastic! Thank you for testing these specs out. Is the 24lm mode you measured what they are calling low? On mine, low mode does seem much lower than 24lm. Have you had any issues with the driver falling out of high mode? I had to unscrew the head and reseat my driver board on my QK2AA and ever since its been working well.

SKV89

Enlightened
I dont know how I got into the 24 lumen mode. I know there is a low mode that is much dimmer. I havent use this light much so cant answer you regarding high mode drop out.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know how I got into the 24 lumen mode. I know there is a low mode that is much dimmer. I havent use this light much so cant answer you regarding high mode drop out.
Have You tried mode 4, 5, or 6? Low(Moonlight) should be there.

Fantastic! Thank you for testing these specs out. Is the 24lm mode you measured what they are calling low? On mine, low mode does seem much lower than 24lm. Have you had any issues with the driver falling out of high mode? I had to unscrew the head and reseat my driver board on my QK2AA and ever since its been working well.
Low mode(moonlight) should be around ~1 lumen. Yes the driver will fall out of high when the heat is too great or the battery supply/voltage is too low.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump
Anyone please add your comments / observations to this thread.
We have been rocking the Newer LED's like those in the current QK16L's and QK2A's in Slate Blue,
since this threads creation.
GL