Elektrolumens FT-3C or Blaster III

Light_Headed

Newly Enlightened
Which is brighter ??? They both use 3W Luxeon Star but the FT-3C runs at 12 hours full brightness on 3 C's while the Blaster III runs at 24 hours full brightness on 3 D's. So which is brighter at full brightness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
Whichever wins the LuxLotto?

Really, though, the FT-3C isn't nearly as pleasing, IMHO, as the other ElektroLumens lights. It just doesn't seem as finely tuned. The tail cap switch is pretty cheezy, mine had lots of flash on the threads, etc.

Consequently, I'd go for a Blaster - the HyperBlaster 1R, in particular. I prefer the 2D size over the 3D.

Light_Headed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback mhejl. I think I'll stick with the time tested design of the Blaster series, after all the quality of the light is just as important as the brightless IMO. Thanks !!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
Blaster II/III is a one watt, not a LuxIII.

From Wayne's page:
"Blaster III (Note: Blaster III is upgraded version of Blaster II), black anodized. Three 'D' cells, 1 watt Luxeon Star, 30mm optics."

george9c1

Newly Enlightened
I believe that Wayne has said that he will no longer be offering any one watt lights once current stock is gone, so future versions of the Blaster series will all be 3 watters.
I have both the BlasterIII and FT-3C and though I understand the criticism of the FT-3C it is the most compact 3 C cell light I have ever seen. You can carry it in your back pants pocket if you need to. This is something to think about if size has any bearing on your decision.

Light_Headed

Newly Enlightened
If the current Blaster 3 uses 1W luxeon then what's the difference between the current Blaster 3 and a Blaster 2 ??? And if future Blaster 3 batches will be using the 3W luxeon how would I know for sure that the Blaster 3 that I'm planning on purchasing now will be using a 3w luxeon instead of a 1W luxeon ??? If someone could clarify this for me that would be great. Thanks.

javafool

Enlightened
If you look at Elektrolumins order page the current Blaster III is designated as BL-3D1W-BLK. I suspect the 3 watt Blaster III will be BL-3D3W-BLK, unless Wayne changes the name upon release. Whatever he calls it, I plan to add one to my collection when available.

TerryF

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have a 3 Watt blaster which I modified myself it uses a TX1J LUX-111 Star with .4 ohms of resistance. I also have a FT-3C flashlight. I have compaired them both under the same conditions, with the same voltages. They both have the same 30 millimeter optics and draw the same amount of current approx 850 ma. The ft-3C is directly driven. Comparisons are the blaster 3W GP does throw further and it has a whiter beam, probaly due to the type of led used.. The Ft-3C does have a slightly wider spill than the Modified blaster, overall they are both my favorites the Ft-3C being my EDC
and the Blaster 3W GP being my general purpose flashlight.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have an Elektrolumens Starlux 3D 1W light that is NICE!!!

IF I could afford to get anything I wanted, I'd try an FT3C...

But there ain't NOTHING wrong with a 1W properly driven and optic'd!!!

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Light_Headed said:
If the current Blaster 3 uses 1W luxeon then what's the difference between the current Blaster 3 and a Blaster 2 ???

[/ QUOTE ]

The major difference is color selection and minor body "tweaks". A search on the Elektro Lumens forum for "Blaster 2+" (or II+) will give you all the details.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the biggest advantage the FT3C has over the Blaster 3 is it's size..
it's just a little bigger (an inch and a half longer maybe with a little more girth around the head) than my UK 4AA eLED..

it is of course brighter, with less runtime..

but the Blaster series is machined vastly better.. seriously.. i already have a dent in my FT3C on the head where the lip hangs down over the flashlight body a little bit.. and it makes it a real pain in the *** screwing and unscrewing the head of the light for cleaning the optics (i don't have a lens)..

i have no complaints on the body of the light or the tailswitch or anything else..

i think the head of the light is kinda weak tho.. and i wish it had been gray HA3 like originally planned..

but again, smallest 3C flashlight ever. you gotta take the bad with the good!

personally, i'd tell you to get the Blaster 3 3watt.. the machining is much much better and it's not going to be bare aluminum..