Malkoff        

Thread: WOW. Bought a Streamlight HL5-X great Duty light for 72-73 dollars

Default WOW. Bought a Streamlight HL5-X great Duty light for 72-73 dollars

It feels like a mini baton, handles great and has super simple operation and a button on the front like a Maglight vs tail click light.

The light will illuminate like day any location 3500 lumens (not 3500 lumens for 2 minutes and then stepdown) and it feels like daylight. Programmed for simple HIGH mode. one button, instant daylight nothing can hide

I will post some beam shots of this beast but for 72-73 dollars it is a nobrainer. The rubber grip covering is excellent and it is IPX7.

Even the Fenix TK47UE cost 155 and I consider it inferior to what you get with the Streamlight and it feels more robust.

Default Re: WOW. Bought a Streamlight HL5-X great Duty light for 72-73 dollars

i was literally looking at this 5 mins ago. is it the same size as the stinger?
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    i was literally looking at this 5 mins ago. is it the same size as the stinger?
    HL5-x is longer by one inch but its a narrower body and very easy to grip and hold on to due to the rubber sleve. But 3500 lumens VS 425 really makes it useful as a search light, IT is very clean output with no donut and you get a nice peripheral lighting.
    I find it very well designed they really thought of the usecase for this light and it excels.

Sounds like an impressive light, but I can't imagine it can output 3500 lumens w/o stepping down at some point.

This light rocks! Itís half thrower half floodlight. Itís super bright and solid as a rock.It would make a great search and rescue light.picture a Malkoff M91B but double the spill and throw.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Is it forward heavy? Realizing a switch at the front would help there, the 4 was forward heavy (due to the ginormous heat sync head) with a tailcap switch. That one was daylight bright for about 150 feet but the frosted optic is an awesome difusser so at 2am you didn't blind yourself if you shined it on max in a small room.

I programmed mine l/m/h and rarely use the high setting because the 600 is plenty. Actually the low is about all you need for looking around the back yard or in a dark shed.

Looking forward to beam shots. My wallet says "no hurry bro".
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    Sounds like an impressive light, but I can't imagine it can output 3500 lumens w/o stepping down at some point.
    Nope no step down was using it for 40 min. This is a work light not a toy light that has impressive lumens for 1 minute then itís half bright. The Streamlights are work lights look at the lightbox that does 5300 lumens for a full 2 hours till the lead acid battery is dry.

Well that's good to hear. Impressive considering the HL5-X's comparatively small head & fin size to other XHP70 lights (e.g., Thorfire S70, Convoy L6). I've never had the need for 3500 lumens for 40 mins but for those who do...

Quote Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post
    Nope no step down was using it for 40 min. This is a work light not a toy light that has impressive lumens for 1 minute then itís half bright. The Streamlights are work lights look at the lightbox that does 5300 lumens for a full 2 hours till the lead acid battery is dry.
    Last edited by SCEMan; 08-08-2019 at 06:13 PM.

The head is a dense piece of aluminum and definitely does a great job of keeping the driver within thermal spec. I could have used the light like longer with no problem but the missing dog was located rather quickly thanks to the ability to illuminate areas of interest nicely. Its definitely a work light that provides excellent illumination for extended periods of time.

Too many lights claim x lumens but disappointment quickly sets in when its only for a few minutes at best.

Enlightened
    Born L.A. - NYC 2nd home - Rustbelt home base

$70 clearance

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019808260

Why discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
    $70 clearance

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019808260

Why discontinued?
    Clearance just indicates that Midway are clearing stock, there is nothing on the Streamlight website to indicate that it has been discontinued.

Enlightened

I just got a HL 5-X. On mine the thermal stepdown starts at the 1 minute mark and slopes down to 5.5 minutes where it flattens out around 1850 Lumens.

Also the product data sheet says it has thermal regulation.
    All the Best,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeff51 View Post
    I just got a HL 5-X. On mine the thermal stepdown starts at the 1 minute mark and slopes down to 5.5 minutes where it flattens out around 1850 Lumens.

Also the product data sheet says it has thermal regulation.
    All the Best,
    Jeff
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff51 View Post
    I just got a HL 5-X. On mine the thermal stepdown starts at the 1 minute mark and slopes down to 5.5 minutes where it flattens out around 1850 Lumens. Also the product data sheet says it has thermal regulation.
    All the Best, Jeff
    Now that makes sense...