Fenix FD41 with rotary focus

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I have about a half dozen Fenix lights and like them very well. Based on some good reviews and beam shots I've seen here in cpf, I just ordered an FD41. It looks like a pretty decent light for the price, to me.

Just wondering if anyone else has one and how well you like it.

Last edited:

joshk

Newly Enlightened
Does that fit regular 18650's without the special USB charger built in?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Does that fit regular 18650's without the special USB charger built in?

Yes it does. It comes with the one that has the USB port, but even that cell can be charged with a regular Li-ion charger.

Fenix has a new "cold resistant" 18650 that I think I'm going to try.

LedTed

Enlightened
I've been using the NITECORE NL1829LTP Battery for about a year now. It has sometimes been in the back of a cold car and performs at least as well as the NL189 I use in my EDC light.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Does the rotary ring go smooth?

Yes, I just got it in the mail this morning. Yes, the ring turns smoothly. It is a little stiff, which I think is a good thing, so its position is not easily changed when you handle the light or put it in and out of your pocket.

colight

Enlightened
Yes, I just got it in the mail this morning. Yes, the ring turns smoothly. It is a little stiff, which I think is a good thing, so its position is not easily changed when you handle the light or put it in and out of your pocket.

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, you are definitely right, enjoy your day!:laughing:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
So I ended up returning the FD41. It seems that the focus option is not really so necessary once you have it. I also own the Fenix PD35-Tac, and the E35UE, which also both run on a single 18650, and both have great outputs and run times. The extra size required for the focusing head doesn't really seem worth the benefit. The modes and beams of my other two Fenixes seem better, so I couldn't justify the cost & size. It is definitely a nice light for someone who does need to focus from flood to spot, but is not something I really need.

Great customer service at the fenix-store for allowing returns if not happy within the first 2 weeks. I did order another Fenix light which I had been eyeing for a while, the E16.

prof student

Enlightened
So I ended up returning the FD41. It seems that the focus option is not really so necessary once you have it. I also own the Fenix PD35-Tac, and the E35UE, which also both run on a single 18650, and both have great outputs and run times. The extra size required for the focusing head doesn't really seem worth the benefit. The modes and beams of my other two Fenixes seem better, so I couldn't justify the cost & size. It is definitely a nice light for someone who does need to focus from flood to spot, but is not something I really need.

Great customer service at the fenix-store for allowing returns if not happy within the first 2 weeks. I did order another Fenix light which I had been eyeing for a while, the E16.

Would you mind clarifying what you meant by "
It seems that the focus option is not really so necessary once you have it".
I am debating between the FD30 or 41, or mayyyybe the PD35TAC.

I am looking for a dual purpose light of an EDC and making it a bike light as well.
The flood aspect of the FD light really catches my eye.
I already EDC the TK09 (2016). Ok spill....toooooo bright of a hot spot on high.

How did you like the FD41 spill?
How is the spill & hot spot on the PD35TAC?

TIA