25 million lumen Liquid nitrogen cooled flashlight any interest?

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
25 Megalumen flashlight cooled via liquid nitrogen for about 6000 dollars would there be interest in such a special lantern? It would require 1 liter of nitrogen for cooling the drivers and the Cockcroft–Walton generator. It would Provide 30 minutes of light due to the limitation cooling system.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Interesting idea. I'd need to know a little more on the Cockcroft–Walton generator. Could you share basic specs such as dimensions, weight & voltage?

Also, what would be the overall size and weight of this 25 Megalumen flashlight? And, what type of emitter will it use?

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
25 Megalumen flashlight cooled via liquid nitrogen for about 6000 dollars would there be interest in such a special lantern? It would require 1 liter of nitrogen for cooling the drivers and the Cockcroft–Walton generator. It would Provide 30 minutes of light due to the limitation cooling system.

You can hardly call something that needs a couple of tons of batteries a "flashlight" - I couldn't lift that many 18650s. A litre of liquid nitrogen would boil off in milliseconds, cooling off whatever device is making that many lumens. And wouldn't a cyclotron give you better throw and color rendering than the erractiC PWM inherent in a Cockcroft-Walton generator?

Bill

SKV89

Enlightened
Wow with that kind of output, people from miles away would mistaken it for a nuclear explosion. I bet you can see it from Mars.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I just don't really have room for another one in my collection. I barely use my 50 million lumen as it is and really it's quite cumbersome. :crackup:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
A litre of liquid nitrogen wouldn't boil off that fast. Not if it was in a proper container. But would definitely add a lot of weight to this thing.it would certainly be a crew served light 😁

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
A litre of liquid nitrogen wouldn't boil off that fast. Not if it was in a proper container. But would definitely add a lot of weight to this thing.it would certainly be a crew served light 

A litre of liquid nitrogen would be the lightest part of the system. It only takes 199 kJ to evaporate a kilogram of LN2, so the litre would take only 159 kJ. Liquid nitrogen is a poor coolant; raising steam from water absorbs 11 times as much energy. 25 million lumens at 100 lumens per watt is 250 kW or 250 kilojoules per second - that would evaporate more than a litre of LN2 per second, assuming the losses were comparable to the energy actually put into the beam.

I once was involved in a problem at a steel mill where a breakdown of a cooling tower threatened to shut down the melt shop - we thought about adding liquid nitrogen to the circulating water system ( LN2 shop right next door!) but realized throwing cakes of ice into the water would be much more effective, though not as ...<sunglasses> ....cool. </sunglasses>

Bill

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
A litre of liquid nitrogen would be the lightest part of the system. It only takes 199 kJ to evaporate a kilogram of LN2, so the litre would take only 159 kJ. Liquid nitrogen is a poor coolant; raising steam from water absorbs 11 times as much energy. 25 million lumens at 100 lumens per watt is 250 kW or 250 kilojoules per second - that would evaporate more than a litre of LN2 per second, assuming the losses were comparable to the energy actually put into the beam.

I once was involved in a problem at a steel mill where a breakdown of a cooling tower threatened to shut down the melt shop - we thought about adding liquid nitrogen to the circulating water system ( LN2 shop right next door!) but realized throwing cakes of ice into the water would be much more effective, though not as ...<sunglasses> ....cool. </sunglasses>

Bill

I have thrown 200 pounds of dry ice into a pool for a Halloween party we were having one time. Not sure it cooled down the 28,000 gallons of water at all, but it was fun to watch the amount of fog it produced.

I used to get liquid nitrogen as a kid when I was about 8 or 10 years old. My mother used to bring it home from her Dermatologist office and store it in the freezer overnight. It was a small amount in a thermos, I still don't know why it wasn't poured back into the original container it came out of.

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
Will this come with a deep carry clip....?

It will be an 80 pound backpack. Turbo will be 15 seconds at 25megalumens then stepdown to 100 lumens to protect the driver since the Liquid Nitrogen would be consumed.

Pwm will be 40Hz due to the limitations of the capacitors.

Manas

Newly Enlightened
I have some vibranium transition metal for the body btw. This torch is a prop isn't it, in pinewood studios.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I guess it may be time for this thread to take one of two paths forward ....

* If this is a "real" build thread of some sort, I would like to see some photos / plans / design / discussion of the ongoing work from the OP, and I will move it to Homemade / Modified

* If this thread is a wild-eyed blue-sky fantastical "dream" build, I can move it to The Cafe, where we can all keep talking about using mithril inductors and powering it with dilithium crystals

If it is the former, the joke comments are probably unappreciated by the OP; if the latter, the thread is taking up room in the wrong subforum.

Thanks to OP in advance for their help in clarifying :)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am only interested if it comes with pocket clip and micro usb charging possibility. :green:

Just kidding, it would indeed be interesting to see such a light!