Those wild worms...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
over the last month, i have received many hoax e-mails. this is what i get:

"Yahoo! Mail Virus Protection detected the virus '"W32.Beagle.K@mm"' in the file '"Message.pif"', attached to the enclosed email message. We scanned the file using Norton AntiVirus but were unable to clean it. Therefore, we removed the content of the attachment from the message. Please contact the message sender if you want to receive the attachment. They must clean the file and resend it before we can deliver it to you safely.

"Yahoo! Mail successfully cleans most infected attachments, which protects you from viruses.

this is what is left of the original message:

"Dear user of Ameritech.Net e-mail server gateway,
Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized access.
For more information see the attached file.

Best wishes,
The Ameritech.Net team http://wwwameritechNet"

here is another version:

"Hello user of Ameritech.Net e-mail server,
Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized access.
Advanced details can be found in attached file.
For security reasons attached file is password protected. The password is "40775".

Best wishes,

and another...just love the way this one is written:

"Dear user, the management of Ameritech.Net mailing system wants to let you know that,
Our antivirus software has detected a large ammount of viruses outgoing
from your email account, you may use our free anti-virus tool to clean up
your computer software.
Pay attention on attached file.
In order to read the attach you have to use the following password: 65746.

Cheers,

they have tried to slip in at least 3 different versions of the W32 beagle worm. one of the attachments stated simply this: "Cya".

of course, my NAV would have caught it, but Yahoo's did before mine even had a chance.

i just got 3 more today. they bluntly look like fakes, and i would never open these attachments anyway.

is this random, or is someone screwing with me?
these seemed to coincide with my posting dissenting opinions on another message board.

keep your security up, folks!

Bob

Ps i removed the "dots" from the original fake ameritech addresses--never tried clicking on them, and didnt want anyone else doing it. .net was spelled .Net

matt_j

Enlightened
I get the same thing. They got hold of my pager email addy and I get 4-5 of those messages everyday. All of them are titled: "re: you doc, re: your file, re: music, re: hello". Just annoying.

Matt

Greta

Flashaholic
I got a new one this morning that I've never seen before... similar to the old paypal scam asking for login and password... this one is from ICQ! Beware ICQ users!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
iirc the garble with password on a .zip is being used to thwart detection by virus scanners that scan zips looking for nasties inside.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i still limet my email to people i added to my list.if there not in list they go straght to junk box. sometimes i miss a email i need but ill check junk box from time to time specaily if i know there going to email me.it helps some

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I got messages like these a few weeks ago, but nothing real recently. And several of them were "from" AT&T rather than from ameritech.net. AVG or McAffee didn't get them back then because they were not yet in the virus definition files, but they probably get them now. Well, at least AVG would get them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
worm.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
what is "ICQ"?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say it like it sounds it's "I seek you". It's an instant messanger similar to AIM or Yahoo's instant messanger. As far as I know it was either the first one or near the earliest. It actually was one of the best as far as the proprietary formats go, until AOL bought them out and changed it into a nightmare. Now AOL has AIM and ICQ, and it's not possible to install or use either one without risking your privacy and identity, and subjecting yourself to spammers or phishers.