1992 Mercedes 190E Headlight Replacement Advice.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I would vote "no", at least not without pictures. Mercedes of that era -- and most others -- in Canada came with US headlamps. The hot setup is the US '82-'85 (or whatever the first year was in the US, maybe '83?) headlamp assemblies, which take standard 200mm x 142mm large rectangular sealed beams...which means you can choose from a variety of good headlamps in that size to install easily with no muss or fuss. As shown here.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
Thank you Virgil!!!

That's very informative as usual!!!

I'm going to pass, and go your route.....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

jzchen

Enlightened
oh, 92, with biodegradable wires, good luck,

Hahaha. My wife, son, and I found a much newer, yet even more seemingly unreliable car, which breaks down one after another. Because of this I've been looking at getting the W201 roadworthy again.

I've been trying to figure out if I can retrofit these older lamps into my car. At the same time I was somewhat confused, the 142 mm x 200 mm lamps are H6054 as I understand, and this translates to 5.591" x 7.874". When I look up H6054 I see limited options, but found this article, where it shows 5" x 7" JW Speaker 8900 lamps fitted nicely into place?

https://betterautomotivelighting.co...054-led-headlights-for-the-c4-chevy-corvette/

I'm confused.

EDIT- I found my answer perusing the specs on the JW Speaker site. Their " 5x7" lamps match the 142 x 200 mm spec perfectly....

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
Thank you for the clarification!

Now the million dollar question is whether I can retrofit them, upgrade to the older lamp? Interestingly searching online MB parts sites I find my current lamp has been discontinued but the old lamp is still available!

Cheapest so far for new (old style) lamps (if in fact truly still available) low $7xx including shipping. But hey, for the ability to put in some serious JW Speaker lamps I'd be happy. My current lamps aren't in good shape/have cracked surrounds. I'm almost scared to ask on the Mercedes forums for fear all available lamps will be snatched up.

jzchen

Enlightened
So I did some research and interestingly it seems like the OLD part is still available, and the newer style headlights are discontinued. Knowing Mercedes propensity for superseding part #s, would anybody happen to know if these are the correct part numbers for the old style lamps?

I found them here:

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/1/fg/201024/452/82/180/

For sale at the bottom here:

https://www.mbpartsexpress.com/v-19...--2-3l-l4-gas/electrical--headlamp-components

Don't want to spend A LOT of money on the wrong parts.

(Thank you for any advice you may have)!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Part numbers: confirmed.
Direct-fit on an '87-up car: confirmed.
Price differential between left and right side: No idea, but you'd best jump on it before they notice and jack up the cheap side!

jzchen

Enlightened
Part numbers: confirmed.
Direct-fit on an '87-up car: confirmed.
Price differential between left and right side: No idea, but you'd best jump on it before they notice and jack up the cheap side!

Thank you so much! I tried to order them and will see. (My originals are in really bad shape)!!!

jzchen

Enlightened
No luck. I got an email saying they are going to refund me the money as they are not available. I have no choice but to find a used pair. I'll visit the local salvage yard that has a set tomorrow hopefully if I get a chance.

jzchen

Enlightened
Don't give up just yet, look what I found you here and here with a little more research into newer part numbers. :)
Thanks so much Virgil!!! I didn't think of eBay.

I found these two part numbers and pricing but I wasn't sure they were the correct design. One eBay listing you shared shows a Mercedes box confirming they are correct!

$466.90- 2018206161
$453.10- 2018206261

found local with local pickup for $1.35 here:

mercedesbenzpartsstore.com. I wonder if the order would be cancelled again...

A listing for the pair from Lithuania:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/254437417213

Definitely have a couple of choice now.

Hmmm....

jzchen

Enlightened
Hi Virgil,

Thanks again for all your help!

So far I ordered the right side from the seller on eBay, without the H6054 lens. Then I got a little nervous that the lamp looks different from the original style that you noted. The original has an inset fog light lens, the newer part number has a flush fog light lens. But this also takes the H6054 correct? (I sent an email to the local Mercedes parts to see if 2018206161 is still available but I have not received a response yet)....

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yes, the newer type with the flush fog lamp takes H6054 sealed beams (or other lamps of the same size).

jzchen

Enlightened
Yes, the newer type with the flush fog lamp takes H6054 sealed beams (or other lamps of the same size).
Thank you for confirming this!

I sent an email response to my cancelled order at the Mercedes online shop I noted, asking about availability of the 2018206161 part. It's been about 24 hours so I went to their site and searched for the part number, and system says not found! It still has the two part numbers which I tried to order and got cancelled! Strangely the -6161 part is still in my shopping cart from yesterday. When I click on it it just says "Multiple Part Name Code" as the description. I called the number and extension given on the email, was transferred to a guy in parts, and he transferred me to voicemail of the person in charge of the web store. I left a message. (Somehow I feel I'm not going to get a call back).

Interestingly the lamp I bought on eBay is again listed for sale. I'm guessing it's the exact same seller who may have a large stock of the right side lamp. The only pair I found is from Lithuania it seems, if it is still there on eBay...

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
It's pretty challenging to find the left/driver side headlamp. I found two that I am considering at the moment.

This is the cheap one, local for pick up, but is not functional and I may not be able to fix it:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=184151101395&_sacat=0

This is a very expensive pair, with what seems to be a defective fog light lens on the right lamp to boot. (Besides the fact that I already ordered a right side and it's on it's way).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...c=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=W201+left+right+headlight

Any thoughts on how to continue?

(Thanks in advance)!

jzchen

Enlightened
So I just wanted to update, I tried ordering the updated part number 201 820 61 61 and it's been about 22 hours now, so far no order cancellation so I'm elated...