These new LED throwers are scary, thought I burned a hole in my retina

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
Was messing around with a Thrunite Catapult V6 and the light reflected off a mirror and Hit my eyes. It actually was painful, like getting punched in the eyes for a split second.

The scary part was having two big black square spots in my vision. I thought somehow. Burned a part of my retinas for life. It took like 20 minutes before normal vision.

These lights are definitely powerful enough to be considered non lethal weapons like a tazer etc. if you just feel one hit your going to be closing your eyes and turning around to avoid further pain.

Now I could only Imagine how bad something like the new Acebeam K75 would be or that Olight W30

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
I accidentally blasted myself with my AA EDC light at 200 lumens. I can't imagine taking a 1000-lumen PD35 to the face at night, never mind a 1700-lumen thrower.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Yep. Definately need to be careful with these lights. I once had my thrunite tn32utvn with 450000cd shone into my eyes from about 5 metres just to see what affect it had and how effective it would be as a deterent against say a home invasion. It was painful, and that wasn't even dark adapted eyes! I can't imagine what it'd be like with these latest lights producing way over 1 million candela. They're quite dangerous really and could cause permanent harm. There's obviously no current regulation with regards to who can buy and own these lights. But it may come one day soon. Fortunately due to the shear cost of them they probably don't often fall into the hands of people other then flashaholics who appreciate them and use them wisely (ish)

People often ask what lights are suitable for self defense. (It's not really a spoken topic on cpf) but truth is most modern led lights pack a decent enough punch these days. Take care

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got it from the D4V2 the other day while trying to program some stupid feature!

Hopefully I can remember that one the next time I try?[emoji90]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not exactly a big light..but I nearly blinded myself the first time I flipped on my Olight S1R II Ti in full 1000 lumen turbo.

Stupidly had it aimed at my bathroom mirror...Ow.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand we all have to be careful with these new high powered throwers. At short distance they in many cases are like the light of sun hitting a more or less dark adapted eye: a harmful combination!

Last edited:

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
There is a reason we were all told as children, at least for those of us in the baby boomer generation, not to stare at the sun... And now we have all these fantastic light cannons we can put in our pockets and unleash at will!

Gotta love this hobby for sure

Be careful out there.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can 't remember how many times i hit my eyes with bright light while building and testing flashlights. i