Malkoff        

Thread: What happened to everyone?

Default What happened to everyone?

Admittedly I haven't logged into here in a while, but where has everyone gone? The board has almost no activity anymore.

Rob
    Ecc 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Default Re: What happened to everyone?

Well, I'm not gonna post if you ain't here...
    Welcome back! I discovered the latest in night vision gear, it's evolving nicely.

Maybe the Facebook group has taken some traffic away?

I prefer the forum myself. I'm still here though.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Yes, I think that "social media" behemoths have absorbed a lot of traffic that might otherwise have gone to many small and specialized hobby forums.

I've moved this thread to The Cafe for further discussion, as OP is not really a "New Member" (and probably needs no introduction) ...
    Last edited by archimedes; 08-14-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

I still check CPF daily, but have slowed way down on flashlights. The cool stuff is too dang expensive for me these days. And agree, facebook has taken traffic from CPF for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    Admittedly I haven't logged into here in a while, but where has everyone gone? The board has almost no activity anymore.

Rob
    I got bored with the industry. I will never trust unprotected lithium ion batteries especially at high amp draw.

I used to like small die led like the R2 so you could get decent throw from a small flashlight.

If someone invents a way to get more throw from a small head without eliminating all spill using primaries my interest would be renewed.

I'm familiar with it. Isn't it more than twice the size of an r2? I should make clear what I mean. It would require a jump in tech to a much smaller yet just as bright led. I almost bought a Zebralight with the XPL HI but the throw still wasn't spectacular. It is the best around today but it's been around a long time.

I am used to Zebralight sc64 so the Eagletac is too big for me to carry comfortably. I do like their products but tough to compete with Zebralight size. If only Zebralight could make a thrower with the same sized head. As I said it would take a leap in tech.
    Last edited by recDNA; 08-14-2019 at 02:25 PM.

CPF check ins come before a coffee in the morning, carries on through the day.

I havenít been here as long as or been as active as you guys but for me- I started a new job on nightshift. I check the forum everyday, I definitely prefer this to FB.

Another thing that slowed me down is buying some of the lights that I wanted, not wishing that I did. The couple of lights that really tempted me recently, is the Malkoff M91 group buy. I cant justify it now but have wanted a brighter version of my M61N for a long time, and upgrading my ZL H600fc to the latest version. However, I am pretty much set for my lights (for the moment)

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    ..., but where has everyone gone? ...

Rob

I think theeeey ... went out, got married, had the kids, built the house, got fat and ... U know, 15 years, usual stuff, non ?

Cheers.

91 members and 623 guests on at the moment... Everyone's reading, not posting.
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Nine years and still here every day. FB can't hold a candle to CPF.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Nine years and still here every day. FB can't hold a candle to CPF.
    Yup, we all know you have a problem.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by Beamhead View Post
    Yup, we all know you have a problem.
    Well, it's not like I've tried to hide it.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic*

I check in every day but donít post as much. Iíve about ended my flashlight collecting and now just by then for tools. Nothing has really blown me away.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Flashaholic

I still check-in 3 or 4 times a week - and still buying damn flashlights after all these years!

Some things never get old...

Cheers,
    Tim
    More Lights Than I Care to Admit but Not Enough to Stop Buying!

I still check in and will post here and there. Try to help someone like the guy who has a stuck battery. Nothing new appeals to me. I have my few old Surefires, a couple small Leds and thats it. I may not be as well known as others but have been around a long long time...lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Candlepowerforums mobile app

The new stuff in the last few years overall hasn't excited me much. I think its for a number of reasons. The LED era has been around long enough where its not as exciting to see what they can do next. There was a time when they were first hitting the market and I was blown away at each new improvement while they were overtaking what incans could do in many ways. Now there doesn't seem to be as big of leaps happening. Its sort of hit a plateau in a lot of ways for me because I'm satisfied with the lumen levels, the run times, and the durability already. So, I'm not sure what more could impress me besides CRI. And even the highest CRI LEDs fall short of my incans. So, it just doesn't seem to be as exciting or as innovative anymore. I've actually reverted to collecting all incans as of lately with the exception of one EDC LED light. Other than that, I'm not posting about or following the new stuff.

Shrug Re: What happened to everyone?

I have all the lights I need/want, so...for me it.....is the archimedes peak:

as per archmedes and all credit due to him: ( http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...t=#post4378276 )
    Last edited by LeanBurn; 08-15-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Hello! I'm still here.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Well, it's not like I've tried to hide it.
    Trying to hide things with tons of uber bright flashlight owners begging for an excuse to blast away here is a fruitless endeavor
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    I have all the lights I need/want, so...for me it.....is the archimedes peak....
    ... is the archimedes peak

PK left SureFire. It's been downhill since.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Yup.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    No argument at all with that.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    I still check CPF daily, but have slowed way down on flashlights. The cool stuff is too dang expensive for me these days. And agree, facebook has taken traffic from CPF for sure.
    More or less the same. The desire to obtain/engage has slacked off as I've achieved a satisfactory level of enthusiast/armchair mastery of the subjects at hand.

My purchases tend to be BLF specials lately since the domestic high-end/custom makers are pricier than I care for, seemingly as a matter of business model. It seems to be a combination of the greater cost of doing business in the US, the choice of exotic materials, deliberately intricate design, and the hard realities of short production runs. Emisar and the FW3A got me into quads and triples for <10% of the typical high-end maker (often adorned with a borderline-ostentatious clip itself worth multiple of my lights). I don't begrudge said domestic makers their prices - don't think they're making million$ in the process and with collectability being a real thing small surprise their list prices are high since the maker isn't a charity.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Speaking for myself. Used to be fewer sub-groups, I hung around the LEDs. Wasn't a Jedi-LED master, but I could nurse newbies when they wandered in. The forum changed to have many more sub groups. After the big split up I wound up mostly in Fixed Lighting, it is pretty darn sleepy in there, I don't have that much hot news, so I ghost around now and then but don't leave much sign of my passage.

Hell, I don't even know if Raggie33 is still in here somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_McE View Post
    Speaking for myself. Used to be fewer sub-groups, I hung around the LEDs. Wasn't a Jedi-LED master, but I could nurse newbies when they wandered in. The forum changed to have many more sub groups. After the big split up I wound up mostly in Fixed Lighting, it is pretty darn sleepy in there, I don't have that much hot news, so I ghost around now and then but don't leave much sign of my passage.

Hell, I don't even know if Raggie33 is still in here somewhere...
    Yes, raggie33 is still around. He was honored with his own thread back in May. #1

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_McE View Post
    [...] I don't even know if Raggie33 is still in here somewhere...
    He even rec'd a custom member title; which happens only once every 4-5 years or so, lol.

Flashaholic*

I think I can see the end----------------------------