ArmyTek        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to everyone?

Default Re: What happened to everyone?

BLF and FB took over. As we all know they do not speak kindly to the strictness here over at BLF from the moderators. That is just the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by CREEXHP70LED View Post
    BLF and FB took over. As we all know they do not speak kindly to the strictness here over at BLF from the moderators. That is just the truth.
    And yet... no one over here seems to really care

Flashaholic*

I'm here as well. I've never posted much but I read the forums fairly often. At least once as week.

I think that it was mentioned in a previous thread similar to this that the whole dynamic has changed. 15 years ago led's were cutting edge and there was a lot of innovation at the hobbyist level and small manufacturers. While that hasn't ended completely mainstream manufacturing has caught up and people don't seem as interested in the nuts and bolts that made the current generation of lights possible.

I'm sure Facebook and other things have taken a toll but I also think people have a tendency to get bored or reach a peak in a hobby and want to try something different. Personally I'm not into it as much as I was before but I still buy new lights on the regular. Granted I spend a lot of time outdoors with my other hobbies and my job and I live in a hurricane prone rural area with power issues on normal windy days so I keep my eyes on the forum and try to learn what new tricks I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Because they aren't allowed to show it.

On the topic though, I think the majority of the action currently in the flashlight scene are from companies like Emisar, Astrolux, Fireflies, etcetra, which don't seem to coincide with the well sought after brands that people on CPF tend to follow, which tend to be the higher priced lights.

BLF and The flashlight Reddit relish these types of lights, while CPF seems to be less interested.

At first I joined the community to browse over most of our subfourms, but these days I mostly just look at Vinh's subforum, because there's usually something interesting there.
    Last edited by twistedraven; 09-03-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Because they aren't allowed to show it.
    No... cuz seriously... don't care. 🤷*♀️

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    ...while CPF seems to be less interested.
    See? Told ya.

-------------------------

One thing I've noticed over the past 17 or so years is that the level of maturity and intelligence of the members of CPF has increased significantly. Most of the "old-timers" have moved beyond the sophomoric Beavis and Butthead mentality often seen on other forums and have settled in nicely with good friendships and civil discourse. We really don't have many issues any more with members getting out of hand or treating our forums and other members with disrespect. There are a couple of exceptions but for the most part... we're good!

What I meant by my comment about not caring is that no one at CPF seems to really care that members on another forum complain about the moderation here. I would even venture to say that many CPF members are here because of the moderation. And my understanding is that CPF bashing is seriously frowned upon on that other forum and many threads have been closed and/or deleted. So I guess there is a bit of heavy-handed moderation going on over there too?

But my main point is this... who cares? Go complain on another forum if you want... if it's allowed. We are happy here. Sure there are fewer of us than in the olden days... but we're not particularly upset about that either. Just means we have less trash to wade through and more time to spend on the things we enjoy...
    Last edited by Greta; 09-03-2019 at 05:17 PM.

I joined CPF for the drama-free aspect. Folks can discuss why that is that way. To me it's a virtue. The staff plays a role, yet members also play a part.

When I was restoring cars I had to write numerous how-to threads because nearly everyone out there was off topic by the third post. To me the forum is a written documentation while carrying on a conversation. Too many are chaos with very little ability to actually learn something from research. You don't have that here. Sure the tracks have curves at times, but more times than not members steer it back to the correct path before the staff has to. I see other forums related to other hobbies or interests allow threads to go off track and even see administration add to the off track postings.

I've seen the Adventures and Quest section added, which opened up a whole new avenue to discuss flashlights or other outdoor fun. Sure beats the same old "used my HID to find a crayon under the sofa" stories. I've seen a lot of peoples names going back to the stone age of CPF days, but not every day. Every so often Dano pops in out of nowhere, adds insight and disappears like Spiderman does.

Now where's everybody at? I'm guessing they are tinkering with something somewhere since the flashlight industry has turned the electric candle into electric sunshine anymore.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 09-03-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    John 3:16

Seriously it is my experience that when the weather warms up people are out doing other things, this place usually ramps up when people are hunkered down for winter. We shall see if it remains true this year.
    Last edited by Beamhead; 09-03-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

I find the Facebook groups to be the twitter to CPF's printed tome. The attention span there is short, research consists largely (not completely) of just posing questions. Instant gratification with no substance. Sophmoric. I dropped membership in one group due to repeated middle school locker room talk. And I'm not thin skinned by a long shot, just don't enjoy that environment. Sure, some of the new lights are impressive, but so is my SF M6. The pendelum always swings back. Others will grow tired of the non-filling low substance poo-flinging enviroment some other venues present and embrace CPF when they realize the substance that's here. Or not. Different strokes for different folks. I'd imagine we'll leave a light on for them if they decide to wander in to see what we're all about.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

+
    Beamhead

Between your time here and mine, I'd say we've logged a great deal of time. I don't know if a summer has ever gone by that we haven't had one or two of this type of thread asking where everyone has gone. But, comes the cooler times, attention returns to more indoor activities, like forum discussions. We're still here.

May CPF last forever!

I am content with my lights. I read every once in a while. I almost purchased a light in the WTS section the other day. I took a look at my pile of lights and deleted the “I will take it” message.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post

I used to like BLF more, but now I spend more time here. I have been here for about 15 years or so, just lurking... and I am sure I forgot a few passwords and user names over the years, so I wrote it down this time. LOL.

I don't see anything rude or bad about the moderators here at all to be honest. The biggest thing I hear is the whimps over there complaining about it. Go figure.

+

The original CandlePower bouncers

Last edited by orbital; 09-04-2019 at 05:09 PM.

I love it here, its one if not the! all time fav forum full stop. Members, mods, admin, together this is simply not only the best flashlight place to be, but overall one of the best forums. It is like a 2nd family no question.

I think beamhead is spot on, come winter(fall) things pick up a bit. Dark nights, poor weather out, bit of netflix and CPF to help with SAD. I know i get far more use out of my lights come that time at home anyway.

Flashaholic

And I’m still here! I don’t post often either but spend quite a bit of time reading the HDS thread. And WTS...

I think the light landscape has changed so much since this forum was in its infancy that we have gone from eating baby food and starving for steak to having a smorgasboard at our hands. There used to be a hunt and waiting for a light that was good enough to get the job done but these days it is more about just finding lights already available. It is akin to getting a gun or bow and arrow and going out to hunt down a wild beast vs going to a restaurant and looking at a long menu and deciding what to order. I used to enjoy reading the extensive reviews comparing current lights with each other but it is to the point there are several generations of those lights with so many new lights with updated emitters on the market you need people with actual jobs full time keeping track of offerings now.
    I'm more into threads that discuss the usage of lights and stuff than trying to talk about actual individual lights because there is just too many decent choices to cover a situation these days.
    I agree with Beamhead in that darkness does encourage folks to come here..... and look for lights and huge darkness like massive power outages caused by storms and such will get a lot more interest.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by CREEXHP70LED View Post
    Facebook seems to be more instantaneous gratification, photo-centric. Zuck having an interest in not presenting the same material to you twice, it's bad for serious conversation.

My impressions of BLF are that it has taken on a large fraction of the technical discussion around flashlights and the membership strikes me as being more international, however I don't sample either enough to make a definitive claim.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Holy cow posting here for the first time in forever. Man this place has changed so much...

The CPF marketplace merged apparently? I had way more posts over there.

Fakebook started out a place where zuckerby could pick up chicks. Yup it was begun as a dating platform.

I use it to keep up with a few friends who don't detest the place and prefer not to chat via emails. It's got its virtues if you carefully navigate it. Serious knowledge is not one of its virtues. Thank goodness forums like this one still exist.

Many forums went the way of the video rental store. Yet not because of fakebook, instra this or that, but in most cases just a basic lack of interest in the subject matter. In one case the bulk of the daily and frequent users were all occupied playing some video game online. King of Thrones or something. Some just moved on. Seasons change for some.
    John 3:16

Yeah, lots of people are involved in FB right now. They are spending lots of time there. They are joining in different niche related groups and posting there regularly.

Screw Facebook. That place is boring.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I'm still around...I don't post as much as I used to, mostly for the same reasons listed earlier by others. I look at my lights and think about how many $100+ flashlights I have (a LOT of them, more than I want to count), and about newer lights and if they're that much better than what I already have, and the answer is no IMO.

I think the explosion of great lights in the mass market took away lot of what CPF was about to me back then...I would come here and learn about lights that blew away anything you could buy on store shelves, so it was exciting that I had insight to something the vast majority of humans had no clue about. I would buy lights that were amazing at the time...they weren't sold in B&M stores, they were pretty much cutting edge technology and now you can buy comparable lights at least lumen-wise, at Walmart for $20.

At this point I just enjoy the lights I've got, with the odd purchase here and there, usually because of the material they are made of (like copper or brass), more than by sheer output alone. I find myself carrying the same lights most often, like my trusty beat up Fury, and my original 10 yr old trusty really beat up Quark 123 (10 YEARS!?!?), my really beat up 12 yr old 6p, etc. and most of the others sit there. I try to rotate my "out to dinner/weekend" EDC lights, and there are MANY of them...these are lights I really prefer to keep in nicer shape, including my old kinda beat up Ti quark 123 (remember how exciting it was when David was designing and building these things, giving us little hints about design, LED bins, etc?), but as far as getting too excited about newer stuff, it just doesn't happen for me very often.

I still keep up on subscribed threads and every now and then, browse through the main page, or the Marketplace, but I definitely don't post as much as I used to anymore.

Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA

I'm still here, too, and my membership goes back a ways.

I am spending more time than I used to over at saberforum [dot] com, and I'm using my hard-won knowledge of LEDs, Lithium-Ion batteries, and high-quality chargers to help educate aspiring Jedi and Sith over there on matters of safety and quality. (I'm also drooling over the selection at UltraSabers [dot] com, trying to figure out which of the many lovely hilts will be my next purchase.)

I tried FB, and as others have said, I prefer the forum to the CPF group on FB. I haven't even signed into my FB account in several months. The discussion here is more carefully thought through, and more carefully researched, I find. I also have relationships with folks on here that I wouldn't recognize on FB, because I know screen names, not IRL names. I also appreciate the moderation that happens here, even though I've invited a few Moderator_Slaps myself over the years.

I never posted a LOT-- heck, check my post count, and balance that against over 18 years of membership, and you'll see that. So for me, I might have slowed down my posting a bit, but I'm still here pretty often.
    Owner of the first full-on beamshot of The Beast II! (See avatar)

i think of most of you as famiy
    Last edited by raggie33; 09-28-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

The original CandlePower bouncers

I'm third from the right!
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12