Wuben        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happened to everyone?

Default Re: What happened to everyone?

I do more reading than posting these days most posts are responding to where are all the oldtimers
    Chris

i do not log in as often, nor post, nor i build as much anymore. new baby takes a lot of time, plus he took my "shop" away as well, hopefully in a decade or so i'll be building lights with him, who knows.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    And yet... no one over here seems to really care
    Honestly, the arbitrarily strident moderation I observed is what led me to leave long ago. Mind you, I'm absolutely not talking about you Greta.

I don't recall hoping that anyone would care, so I guess that worked out...

But OP asked the question, and I was in the neighborhood.

This experience, of course, is only my own, not anyone else's that may have also found themselves somewhere else.
    Last edited by MichiganMan; 11-09-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamhead View Post

Seriously it is my experience that when the weather warms up people are out doing other things, this place usually ramps up when people are hunkered down for winter. We shall see if it remains true this year.

I knew it! You're the guy on the left. You should change you profile name. :P

Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMan View Post
    Honestly, the arbitrarily strident moderation I observed is what led me to leave long ago. Mind you, I'm absolutely not talking about you Greta.

I don't recall hoping that anyone would care, so I guess that worked out...

But OP asked the question, and I was in the neighborhood.

This experience, of course, is only my own, not anyone else's that may have also found themselves somewhere else.
    I've been here even longer than Greta, and "overly strident moderation" is not something I can point to. But then, we each have our own subjective definition of that, so my comment could very well mean nothing at all. Then again, I've been a moderator on other boards, so perhaps my perspective is of more value than the average Joe's, rather than less.
    Owner of the first full-on beamshot of The Beast II! (See avatar)

Default Dang, this place sure has slowed considerably

Been gone a while, but now my interest in getting focused back on the hobby. I remember "back in the day", the B/S/T posts were so plentiful, that it was actually difficult to keep up. Now, it seems we end up with hours between sale threads, what happened?
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

Default Re: Dang, this place sure has slowed considerably

Quote Originally Posted by F250XLT View Post
    Been gone a while, but now my interest in getting focused back on the hobby. I remember "back in the day", the B/S/T posts were so plentiful, that it was actually difficult to keep up. Now, it seems we end up with hours between sale threads, what happened?
    I think it's just like anything else. You lose interest after a while. Then you take a break, after a few months out of the game you get the interest back. I jump around on many different hobbies, from guns, to batteries, to flashlight s, and everything in between. I only have the spare funds to focus on one hobby at a time.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Not sure the active membership is that much lower (could be?), but the transactions have certainly dwindled.

If others were on the same ~4 yr post hiatus as well, maybe that's the reason things have slowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    If others were on the same ~4 yr post hiatus as well, maybe that's the reason things have slowed?
    Yeah, no doubt, but it's literally a few posts per day for the BST, and you remember how fast and furious things were 10-15 years ago.

Iím on every day 😁 see you around.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Iím on every day  see you around.
    I know you are, and always have been.

I check in multiple times per day, just to keep up with acronyms and abbreviations that I need to re-figure out that I have forgotten.

And also to keep up with small lights that need fitted with Osram W2.1 emitters and with large lights that need to be fitted with SBT90.2 emitters.
    Bleach. Insecticide. Incesticide. Nevermind.

Social media, competing forums, and other hobbies all had a factor in the slow down. In a way, it's kind of good because i've been able to acquire and own some lights that I previously have never been able to even think about owning. But it's nice to see the familiar names popup again.

Does the name F250XLT still apply or should it be change to maybe F250Lariat or F250KingRanch? Maybe F250Platinum?
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

ďHeís dead, Jim.Ē

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    Social media, competing forums, and other hobbies all had a factor in the slow down. In a way, it's kind of good because i've been able to acquire and own some lights that I previously have never been able to even think about owning. But it's nice to see the familiar names popup again.

Does the name F250XLT still apply or should it be change to maybe F250Lariat or F250KingRanch? Maybe F250Platinum?
    Who knew there was a better flashlight forum than CPF?

Technically, it's RAM2500Laramie6.7MEGA

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post
    I check in multiple times per day, just to keep up with acronyms and abbreviations that I need to re-figure out that I have forgotten.

And also to keep up with small lights that need fitted with Osram W2.1 emitters and with large lights that need to be fitted with SBT90.2 emitters.
    ..and some small lights Lumintop GTvn mini can be fitted with SBT90. I find it interesting just wish GT mini had a tailcap switch

Flashaholic

I would agree with the OP, to a point. I have not been a daily driver here like I was a few (3~4) years ago.
    But the main thing I see that has changed is the number of manufacturers and new lights. Back in 2015~17 there were hundreds of companies (okay maybe not hundreds) that were pumping out brighter and brighter lights. Bigger and smaller, more LEDs and different batteries.
    Well it seems that only the strongest survived and now the industry has slowed. Hence less folks on the forum.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateck View Post
    I would agree with the OP, to a point. I have not been a daily driver here like I was a few (3~4) years ago.
    But the main thing I see that has changed is the number of manufacturers and new lights. Back in 2015~17 there were hundreds of companies (okay maybe not hundreds) that were pumping out brighter and brighter lights. Bigger and smaller, more LEDs and different batteries.
    Well it seems that only the strongest survived and now the industry has slowed. Hence less folks on the forum.

Just my two cents.
    Mass manufactured options are definitely playing a role, lots of decent quality readily available.

10-15 years ago, custom Ti & Alu, and modded SF's were flying around like M&M's. I miss those days, but the new pace will definitely save me some money.

The BST has slowed down even more over the past couple of weeks because of the global situation. People are worried about their jobs, so they arenít spending. I think some may be worried about receiving mailed goods right now as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jrgold View Post
    The BST has slowed down even more over the past couple of weeks because of the global situation. People are worried about their jobs, so they arenít spending. I think some may be worried about receiving mailed goods right now as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great point, I had not looked at it from that perspective.

On the other hand, perhaps you'd see folks who are being financially affected putting items up for sale?

Matters not I suppose, hopefully things get better for everyone in the coming weeks.

Flashaholic

I check in now and then. Took and long time to buy another charger and they after numerous new ones I still went with an older big one. C4-12 and happy with it doing the job. A lot of poor build came out IMO.

Batteries were hard to get shipped so when I did I order 3 times what I needed at the time. Still unused sitting here 18650's protected cells. I'd be interesting a good 24660 or double 18650 flashlight that didn't brake the bank. I got one years ago but it wasn't very bright despite having two 18650 (in series) in it. I can whalup vermin with it being the only advantage, if they didn't bite me first. LOL I got a big 4 cell light with all the cells in parallel. Its bright with a dozen or more emitters but even built for it the cells are very snug once all in. Clearance should be better.

On the other hand, perhaps you'd see folks who are being financially affected putting items up for sale?
    I saw a seller who retracted because of concerns over going to the post office. I think itís on both sides, people are just hunkering down. Stay safe my friend.

I saw a seller who retracted because of concerns over going to the post office. I think itís on both sides, people are just hunkering down. Stay safe my friend.
    Yeah, I saw that thread.

Thank you, you as well.

When I first came here, I was stunned... amazed, that people would buy a USED flashlight for 10% less than what it would cost new. I don't think that is still the case. Back in the day there were a number of users who would play catch and release. Personally, if I was going to take a 30% - 40% loss, just to check out a light, I'd keep it! Or gift it.

Many of us who were frequent buyers, have slowed down (Not all).
    If you check out this thread When is enough, enough? You might get a feel for why others have slowed purchasing.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Who knew there was a better flashlight forum than CPF?
    There's not, but even the greats can be influenced if enough things pick at it.

Technically, it's RAM2500Laramie6.7MEGA
    Nice!! Love the mega cabs.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Yes, it took about two months for the economy to be crushed in 2008, whereas this occurred over about two weeks.

And, as others have mentioned, few want to (or are being allowed to) go out to mailing facilities, right now.

Feels very different to me.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    There's not, but even the greats can be influenced if enough things pick at it.

Nice!! Love the mega cabs.
    Not to change the subject, but hereís a quick and dirty pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    When I first came here, I was stunned... amazed, that people would buy a USED flashlight for 10% less than what it would cost new. I don't think that is still the case. Back in the day there were a number of users who would play catch and release. Personally, if I was going to take a 30% - 40% loss, just to check out a light, I'd keep it! Or gift it.

Many of us who were frequent buyers, have slowed down (Not all).
    If you check out this thread When is enough, enough? You might get a feel for why others have slowed purchasing.
    Agreed, plenty of flippers, which was a great way to buy at a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Yes, it took about two months for the economy to be crushed in 2008, whereas this occurred over about two weeks.

And, as others have mentioned, few want to (or are being allowed to) go out to mailing facilities, right now.

Feels very different to me.
    Very different indeed, but I think we will bounce back fairly quickly.

.... Very different indeed, but I think we will bounce back fairly quickly.
    I am keeping my hopes up that may be the case, too.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast