The Fenix-Store        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What happened to everyone?

Default Re: Dang, this place sure has slowed considerably

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I am keeping my hopes up that may be the case, too.
    So are our 401K and 403b's
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

B/S/T flashlight situation yes OK; but we already have a few existing automotive threads in the other subforums, and a CV thread as well.
    This thread was created in the General Flashlight Discussion subforum, so that was my general assumption as to intent.
    Please note that we also have a couple of broader-topic threads in the Cafe as well, thanks.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 03-26-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    B/S/T flashlight situation yes OK; but we already have a few existing automotive threads in the other subforums, and a CV thread as well.
    This thread was created in the General Flashlight Discussion subforum, so that was my general assumption as to intent.
    Please note that we also have a couple of broader-topic threads in the Cafe as well, thanks.
    Sorry, one ran into the other, back on topic.

I got back into the hobby 2-3 months ago and I was also pretty shocked by the lack of BST posts. But it's not just here, it's everywhere. It seems like either there's a secret flashlight selling area (that's not another forum, facebook or eBay) or people just aren't selling lights anymore.

The popular social media sites have changed people’s view of online communities I think. Either they just want to post pics for likes or they want to ask a question, get a quick answer and move on. The last few years most new members join to ask a question and they never come back. A tiny fraction become members of the community. Combine that with those who have gone mostly inactive over the years and it can look kinda slow here.

Quote Originally Posted by F250XLT View Post
    Who knew there was a better flashlight forum than CPF?
    Who even hinted at such nonsense?

Technically, it's RAM2500Laramie6.7MEGA
    Nice truck!
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
    I got back into the hobby 2-3 months ago and I was also pretty shocked by the lack of BST posts. But it's not just here, it's everywhere. It seems like either there's a secret flashlight selling area (that's not another forum, facebook or eBay) or people just aren't selling lights anymore.
    Well, if you find that secret area, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    The popular social media sites have changed people’s view of online communities I think. Either they just want to post pics for likes or they want to ask a question, get a quick answer and move on. The last few years most new members join to ask a question and they never come back. A tiny fraction become members of the community. Combine that with those who have gone mostly inactive over the years and it can look kinda slow here.
    Less of a community, and more of just a resource?

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Who even hinted at such nonsense?

Nice truck!

My take is that Chinese manufacturers eating themselves out, have brought down the prices. There seems to be no longer a value of getting a used (and older version) light for just 10-20% less.

Plus, a lot of online shopping sites are supporting small vendors with cut-throat prices and added perks.

Lumens war is also getting at each other's throat that they are churning out confusing models almost every other month. Most newbie users love to quote high lumen rate without looking at usability.

Who knew there was a better flashlight forum than CPF?

Technically, it's RAM2500Laramie6.7MEGA
    Traitor!

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

I think part of the reason WTS has slowed considerably is the fees here on CPF. Why pay $5 or 10 when you can sell for free on various social media sites. I pay because I like this place and enjoy many of the other regulars company but, I see why others aren't willing to.

Although I sometimes like the way this place is kept clean so to speak, many don't like over moderation and this place tends to be governed a lot more tightly then the rest. I think that turns a lot of people off.

Last edited by Tachead; 03-27-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    I think part of the reason WTS has slowed considerably is the fees here on CPF. Why pay $5 or 10 when you can sell for free on various social media sites. I pay because I like this place and enjoy many of the other regulars company but, I see why others aren't willing to.

Although I sometimes like the way this place is kept clean so to speak, many don't like over moderation and this place tends to be governed a lot more tightly then the rest. I think that turns a lot of people off.

I had no idea they started charging members to sell, when did that start?

I own a fairly popular watch forum, and over moderation elsewhere is the complaint of many that come to our community. I do agree, over zealous mods can really take the fun out of things.

I had no idea they started charging members to sell, when did that start?

I own a fairly popular watch forum, and over moderation elsewhere is the complaint of many that come to our community. I do agree, over zealous mods can really take the fun out of things.
    You have always had to be contributing member to post for sale ads as far as I know.

Yep, sure can.

CPF has always strived to be family friendly. A place where even children can safely enjoy learning about all things illuminating sans profanity, sexuality, politics or religion.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

One of the main reasons I love CPF is the lack of politics and religion.
    4500k XPL RD BOSS • 2700k HDS Rotary • Ra-85-Tr • UV 365nm HDS Rotary • 3900k HDS • SW45 HDS (Bare Al) Rotary • FreLux Synergy2 •

CPF has always strived to be family friendly. A place where even children can safely enjoy learning about all things illuminating sans profanity, sexuality, politics or religion.
    I agree with the elimination of all that, but over moderation can still exist outside that criteria.

Okay, back on topic, don't want to get locked.

And discriminating adults too.
    John 3:16

I have always enjoyed the moderation on this website, and I have never thought of it as being too much. Protracted personality conflict exchanges and trolling get old very quickly. I can't imagine that having that responsibility is very carefree at times, especially when it ventures into grey areas.

Flashaholic

I first made an account here back in 2009/2010 (lost credentials, forced to make a new account), which was probably near the peak of membership/activity here, back when some of our most valuable/knowledgeable members were still posting and active. I lurked for a long time before deciding to create a new account a few years ago. So with that history, I have a pretty good understanding of what has occurred on this site in the last decade.

The slow down of manufacturers pumping out new lights, along with the natural process of people acquiring a new hobby then losing interest, yup, that's most certainly the reason for the astronomically lower membership and activity here on CPF compared to back in the day. No question about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    I first made an account here back in 2009/2010 (lost credentials, forced to make a new account), which was probably near the peak of membership/activity here, back when some of our most valuable/knowledgeable members were still posting and active. I lurked for a long time before deciding to create a new account a few years ago. So with that history, I have a pretty good understanding of what has occurred on this site in the last decade.

The slow down of manufacturers pumping out new lights, along with the natural process of people acquiring a new hobby then losing interest, yup, that's most certainly the reason for the astronomically lower membership and activity here on CPF compared to back in the day. No question about it.
    That’s not really it.

I’ve seen the WWW. internet traffic graphs overlaid on one another, for CPF and BLF and the usage for both is inversely proportional. IIRC, as CPF started to slow down, BLF started to rise.

Why is this?

More people are getting into the ‘modding game’ and since modders are going to immediately rip everything out and just use the light as a host, there’s little need to buy expensive lights, since most everything will be replaced.

There are other reasons that I’ve read, but I won’t delve into them.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    That’s not really it.

I’ve seen the WWW. internet traffic graphs overlaid on one another, for CPF and BLF and the usage for both is inversely proportional. IIRC, as CPF started to slow down, BLF started to rise.

Why is this?

More people are getting into the ‘modding game’ and since modders are going to immediately rip everything out and just use the light as a host, there’s little need to buy expensive lights, since most everything will be replaced.

Chris
    From what I can tell, modding was more prolific in the past, when compared to now. The past was filled with talented folks producing expensive, custom hosts/lights, not nearly as much of that happening now. If you’re gonna mod a light, it still needs to have the cool factor, and that’s hard to get from overseas IMO. Then again, I’m getting old, and will always prefer a Surefire host.

Oh, and what is BLF?

From what I can tell, modding was more prolific in the past, when compared to now. The past was filled with talented folks producing expensive, custom hosts/lights, not nearly as much of that happening now. If you’re gonna mod a light, it still needs to have the cool factor, and that’s hard to get from overseas IMO. Then again, I’m getting old, and will always prefer a Surefire host.

Oh, and what is BLF?
    BLF, = budget light forms

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    That’s not really it.

Why is this?

Chris
    Apparently, the sarcasm in my post was not clear enough

No need to delve into the other reasons, as someone who has been around here as long as I have, I'm quite well aware of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    Apparently, the sarcasm in my post was not clear enough

No need to delve into the other reasons, as someone who has been around here as long as I have, I'm quite well aware of them.
    Sarcasm really doesn’t translate well to the ‘written word,’ but I still like this place and post here first, since I’m not a modder.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Default Re: What happened to everyone?

Thread merged w/ existing thread (comparable topic) in the the Cafe.
    Best regards,

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234