nitecore mh20questionsabout batteries?

sudsy9977

Newly Enlightened
hey guys, I don't really ever post but was hoping for some advice. I have a nitecore mh20 and it doesn't seem to be working rightly currently use a xtar vc2 charger...I use an eagtac 3400 mah rechargeable battery. so what happens basically is I put the battery in my flashlight and it works at first, then I can't switch between the brightness settings all of a sudden, it will sort of go haywire for lack of a baetter word....I also have a Fenix pd35....the battery was acting weird in that flashlight as well....here are my thoughts/questions

1)my charger says the battery is fully charged, is it possible it's a bad battery even though my xtarsays it's charged?

2)is it possibly nitecore is malfunctioning or broken?....if so how can I tell

3)is my best bento buy a new rechargeable battery to check to see if the light works right...if so what would you recommend?

I don't know a lot if anything about lights in general....these lights are crazy bright, I work in dark areas in the morning and just need a bright light......my nitecore was great when it was working right, now I'm just not sure how to proceed.....the lights and batteries are expensive, I don't wanna blow anything up or burn my house down...lol.....thanks for any help or advice

p.s....I just put the battery in my Fenix and tried it and it seemed to work now....not sure how to proceed....ryan

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprised no one jumped on this yet. Have you tried cleaning the battery tube threads with some 91 percent alcohol? I would also clean the contacts in the head with a little on a q-tip.

You can also try 2 cr123 batteries. A search on the forum provides some details on a few defective mh20's and some solutions

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like the battery may be suspect but the only way to know for sure would be to get a multi meter and check its voltage. It could also be one of those fake cells that have a minuscule cell stuffed inside the case for an 18650 and then filler taking up the rest...basically meaning your capacity is non existant.

Li-Ion cell voltage should be around 4.1-4.2 volts freshly charged. Anything under 3 volts is usually considered low or dead but some lights operate all the way down to 2.5 volts. Anything lower may cause problems with the electronics as well as the cell itself including tripping any built in protection circuit.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a second cell and try it. You should have a spare anyway for emergemcies.
Make sure you get the cell from a decent supplier, and buy a known brand like, Sony, LG, Keepower, Efest and the rest.
P

sudsy9977

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try a new battery first that's probably the easiest solution. Any video of how exactly to clean the contacts for the battery? Don't want to ruin anything. Ryan

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try a new battery first that's probably the easiest solution. Any video of how exactly to clean the contacts for the battery? Don't want to ruin anything. Ryan

Let us know how it goes with another battery. If you're still having trouble, you can always give our customer service team a call at (512) 258-6649.