18650 Noob question: new nitecore cells don't work in a zebra light head lamp

peahi

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a zebra light H600w Mk IV. I also purchased two new Nite core 18650 3.6V, 12.6Wh batteries. The light did not function with either of those batteries. Luckily I had another 18650 battery in another light that I tried in the lamp and got it to work (the zebra light worked with a Fenix 18650 from my UC35 light).

I'm not super familiar with 18650s and the variations in the batteries (I've used cr123 lights for many years). Anyhows, I would like to get a good battery for my new zebra light lamp.

I'm surprised my new nitecore batteries didn't work. they are labeled "for high drain devices." Can you give me a beginners label explanation..lol

Thanks in advance.

Zak

Enlightened
They might be too long for the tailcap to screw all the way down.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
I don't have any Zebra lights but as far as I know they need to use flat top batteries only, are the Nitecore batteries flat tops or button top? And yes the length could be an issue as well. IIRC no protected cells too, I believe due the length.

Last edited:
Zebralight 18650 headlamps (unlike their 18650 flashlights) can take some long batteries (up to 69mm). But those Nitecores are 69.7mm. Too long. Lots of fantastic $6 alternatives out there that are unprotected and will work in any light. And the ZL has built in protection, so no need to ever run a protected cell.

By contrast the same 600W MkIV in flashlight version can only take a 65.2mm battery.

Last edited:

peahi

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight 18650 headlamps (unlike their 18650 flashlights) can take some long batteries (up to 69mm). But those Nitecores are 69.7mm. Too long. Lots of fantastic $6 alternatives out there that are unprotected and will work in any light. And the ZL has built in protection, so no need to ever run a protected cell.

By contrast the same 600W MkIV in flashlight version can only take a 65.2mm battery.

Thanks for the tremendous help! I appreciate all the good knowledge here as usual!