HDS Rotary and Dark Sucks pocket clip mod

jarobi

Enlightened
I wound up with the Prometheus Ti pocket clip made for the HDS Clicky, and a spankin' new 325 NLT Rotary. I had the clip before the light arrived. Using emarkd's excellent tutorial to mount an Oveready clip under the bezel as a guide, I made a couple changes out of necessity. The HDS Clicky clip from Prometheus has a larger OD than the Oveready and IIRC a larger ID.
Link to emarkd's thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...all-a-Clip-Under-the-Bezel-of-Your-HDS-Rotary

I'll qualify all this at the outset. Modding the ID of the Oveready or the Dark Sucks SF version is most likely the better option. I decided to go with what I had instead of ordering another clip.

The OD of the clip leaves a lip all around the head when installed.
IaFI7Nq.jpg

I marked all around the lip with a Sharpie, taking extra time holding the marker so it would fill all the way to the body. I removed the marked clip and got after it with a Dremel. Like emarkd suggested, I took my time and checked fit often. The larger ID makes centering on the head a bit of a challenge, as the ID of the clip is quite a bit more than the OD of the reflector assembly.
bN4ROUd.jpg

I experimented with it until I had a fit I liked. I positioned the ring of the clip on the reflector as far as it would go toward the clip bend, then removed material to get it to look right. Here is a shot of the finished product, sans a bit of polishing.
3XQVnQ5.jpg

Last edited:

Robe

Enlightened
I'm unsure what clip to get. I see the OR universal. That seems like it works, but Prometheus has a SF and an HDS clip.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
OR works great for me installed under the bezel and Prometheus clip is perfect for clicky, under the tail. Other way around they don't provide good feeling in hand and look also

jarobi

Enlightened
The OR is slightly shorter. If you'll look at emarkd's photos, the curve at the end of the clip is perfectly positioned for the finger to grasp it. More natural grip IMO.

Latest posts