High CRI 4,000K - 1 x CR123A battery - "Flood" headlamp

bkpdle

Newly Enlightened
Guys I am looking for a High CRI (at least 85) 4,000K, 1 x CR123A battery, "Flood" headlamp.

I really like the small size of the Zebralight headlamps and have a Zebralight H502c L2 (1 x AA, High CRI 4,000K, Flood). And was pretty happy until (with time) I learned that Zebralights keep going bad from AA battery leakage and I want something reliable, without battery leakage.

Does this configuration exist? Can you direct me to it?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
High CRI 4,000K - 1 x CR123A battery - "Flood" headlamp

How about if you switch to the lithium primary AA batteries? I ve had excellent luck with them am no longer buy alkalines for this reason

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned that Zebralights keep going bad from AA battery leakage and I want something reliable, without battery leakage.

That is a property of the type of battery you are using, not the light. If you use lithium primaries or eneloop NIMH cells, you won't have this problem virtually ever.

Zebralight is a very reliable and trustworthy brand, and are very well made.

bkpdle

Newly Enlightened
Re: High CRI 4,000K - 1 x CR123A battery - "Flood" headlamp

How about if you switch to the lithium primary AA batteries? I ve had excellent luck with them am no longer buy alkalines for this reason
Good idea. I tend to avoid AA lithiums though because of cost. No danger using a AA lithium in a Zebralight rated for AA batteries, correct? I get worried using lithiums cause they have more "explosion" potential and want to ensure safety. Only AA lithiums I see are Energizer. I assume this is what you mean.

Is there any reason you don't want to use eneloops ?
These are the rechargeable, correct? I'm specifically equipping for situations where there is no power.

Just for the heck of it though, if anyone knows of a headlamp that runs of the CR123 with the features I noted, let me know.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: High CRI 4,000K - 1 x CR123A battery - "Flood" headlamp

? I get worried using lithiums cause they have more "explosion" potential and want to ensure safety

Lithium Primaries are different than Lithium Ion (aka common lithium rechargeable) cells. They are the most stable form of battery power conventionally available, shelf life of 20 years.

Guys I am looking for a High CRI (at least 85) 4,000K, 1 x CR123A battery, "Flood" headlamp.

I really like the small size of the Zebralight headlamps and have a Zebralight H502c L2 (1 x AA, High CRI 4,000K, Flood). And was pretty happy until (with time) I learned that Zebralights keep going bad from AA battery leakage and I want something reliable, without battery leakage.

Does this configuration exist? Can you direct me to it?

Has nothing to do with the light. Alkalines are nicknamed "alkaleaks".

Just use rechargeable AAs. Eneloops are some of the best. And you will be hard pressed to find a better, lighter, more reliable light than Zebralight.

bkpdle

Newly Enlightened
All you guys who are vouching for "Lithium Primary" batteries, do these include the AA "Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries"? I have never seen the Energizer's say Lithium "Primary" anywhere. I want to make sure these are the same thing you guys are talking about, or is there a different battery that is "Primary"?

bigfoot

Enlightened
Another vote for skipping the alkalines, and getting some Eneloops and Energizer Lithiums instead. You can usually find excellent deals for both of these online, versus buying in a brick-and-mortar store.

The Eneloops are great for day-to-day use, and will retain a charge for a long time (low self-discharge). The Energizer Lithiums are handy for very long-term storage or the event that you won't have a charger around (travel, disaster kit, etc.) FYI - the Energizer "Ultimate Lithium" batteries are the ones with blue and silver packaging.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium Primary batteries are also the same essential working voltage as an Alkaline where the Lithium Ion Rechargeable battery are 3.7v usually or more than twice the normal working voltage of a Primary AA Battery so this is another thing to consider in the decision.

It is worth noting I think that Nobody else seems to have the run of bad luck with Alkaline in ZL as you have and I have to wonder if you left them in the lights sitting unused for a while or something?

Your initial observation about ZL not doing well or"going bad" with time using Alkaline makes me think this might be the case?

etudiant

Newly Enlightened
For most casual users, I think lithium batteries are absolutely the way to go.
People generally ignore their gear until they need it. With alkalines, that usually means a disappointment. Alkalines invariably leak and damage the gear.
Lithium batteries don't leak and hold their charge well. Eneloops are great, but they are somewhat low on voltage and they need a charger around. So for convenience and reliability, lithium is the way to go.