Attractive, simple to use, quality flashlight with good CRI for wife/daughter

dtlocke

Newly Enlightened
Recommend a Flashlight Checklist:
(Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!)

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

Looking for a nice looking, simple to use but high quality flashlight or two for wife & daughter. Keychain to maybe 5" long. Not black. Household use. Don't need tactical strobe stuff, progamability, etc. Just on/off with maybe a low mode or two, preferable with a simple click switch.

Overall brightness not the point. Neutral white and or high CRI is the main point, along with easy to use and attractive looking - copper, brass, titanium, colorful all could be in play.

I've been looking at all the flashlight geek stuff which is great for me but not for the ladies. In fact I am put off by the complicated modes e.g. in my Nitecore EC30. However a flashlight with multiple modes that can easily be set on a "dummy" mode might be OK
:grin2:

Thanks for help!

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

USA

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
____I can spend $15-30.
____I could spend $40-60.
__X__I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
__X__1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
__X__2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
__X__4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
__X__I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use?

Can work with any batteries if other requirements are met.

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X__I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
__X__I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------X------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

__X__20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
__X__60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
__X__Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

__X__I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
__X__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

__X__I don't care.
__X__I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

__X__A simple on-off is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
__X__I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
____Waterproof – how deep: _____________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
__X__Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened
Terralux LightStar 80. Uses 2 aaa batteries. 1 mode. Forward Clicky switch. High CRI emitter. 80 lumens and 5 hours runtime. Extremely simple and comes in many bright colors. Less than $20 and lifetime warranty. Maybe not exactly what you want but a great start and you can buy multiples.

Sos24

Enlightened
Maybe an EagleTac D3A or D3C Ti.

You can purchase them with a Nichia 219C CRI-92 emitter. It has tail switch vice side switch and more than 2 brightness levels, but still easy enough to operate. My wife is not a flashlight enthusiast but the D25c (older non-titanium version) is her favorite flashlight, which she easily figured out how to use it.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a Prometheus Beta? Single AAA, but it is long and thin. Shiny Electroless Nickel and comes with a proprietory quick release system to disengage it from the neckchain. From a US company, run by a very nice geezer.
P

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened
I could be wrong, but i don't think having the absolute highest CRI was a deal breaker in this case. If the wife and daughter are going to miss out on the extra CRI for their general household use, then yes I would advise to go with a light that has a higher CRI rating of at least 90. The warm tint of the XP-G2 in this light is easy on the eyes and good for most non-enthusiasts. If anything I was thinking it could be too long and bright for what he is looking for.
As an enthusiast, I have always wished the Lightstar came with a higher rated CRI emitter, but it has always been a great option for the wife and kids (and their friends) because of how easy it is to use, hold, and identify. I was just visiting family in Charleston and we went for a walk on the beach at night. I gave one (high vis green) to my 3 year old nephew to use and it was perfect. After we were done, I rinsed the sand off under the sink and was thankful that I didn't loan him my Sofirn CO1. I hate getting debris in my twisty lights.
Anyway, this thread could be of some interest:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?393694-Quality-2-AAA-Penlight

SKV89

Enlightened
Folomov makes the highest CRI production lights at the moment using the exotic Nichia E21A 9080 emitters. However, I hate the click to turn on but click and hold to turn off UI. It's just so unintuitive. I always forget I need to hold to turn off so end up changing modes. I never buy any lights with click and hold for off lights anymore.

You can also look into the following:
Lumintop FW3A / FW3C / FW3T with SST-20 4000K and 219C 4000K
Fireflies E07 with the 219B 4500K or SST-20 4000K (the SST-20 might still be the FB4 tint bin so greenish tint)
Fireflies PL47 gen 2 with the 219B 4500K
Acebeam TK16 or TK18 with the 219C or SST-20 emitters. However, I don't know if they use a good tint bin so might be yellowish/greenish tint. You can also buy the modded TK16vn from Skylumen.com and choose the Nichia 219B 9080 4500K emitter.
Wuben TO46R
Astrolux MF01 Mini w/ 4000K 219C or SST-20 4000K if you want a usb rechargeable hi cri light. This light should be coming out next month.
If you want the ultimate full featured HI CRI flashlight, the Olight SeekerVN II R is probably the best on the market if you select the 219B 4500K option. The SST-20 options are brighter but don't think Skylumen has the good tint bin for 4000K version so only 3000K version would not look greenish yellow if you prefer warm white. This might be outside of your price range.

dtlocke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, it's a contender but not quite the look I have in mind... I'd prefer shorter vs. longer.

-**** L.
Terralux LightStar 80. Uses 2 aaa batteries. 1 mode. Forward Clicky switch. High CRI emitter. 80 lumens and 5 hours runtime. Extremely simple and comes in many bright colors. Less than $20 and lifetime warranty. Maybe not exactly what you want but a great start and you can buy multiples.

dtlocke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pointer here these look pretty good in titanium. Wish there were another color/material option but these might work.

-**** L.
Maybe an EagleTac D3A or D3C Ti.

You can purchase them with a Nichia 219C CRI-92 emitter. It has tail switch vice side switch and more than 2 brightness levels, but still easy enough to operate. My wife is not a flashlight enthusiast but the D25c (older non-titanium version) is her favorite flashlight, which she easily figured out how to use it.

Sos24

Enlightened
The Olight S1R II Ti comes in a few different colors and looks real nice, but I don't believe it comes in HiCRI. They have a side switch and an easy UI with multiple brightness. So if HiCRI isn't a no go, they might be an option. If HiCRI is a mandatory, you could contact Vinh at SkyLumen because he sells these and he might be able to swap in a different emitter.

Last edited:

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, it's a contender but not quite the look I have in mind... I'd prefer shorter vs. longer.

-**** L.

Ok got ya. I figured that might be the case. Check out the Lumintop Tool in Copper or Titanium. Comes with a Nichia 219B emitter. 3 mode Clicky or twisty depending which tailcap you use. Comes with both. 1 aaa battery. 3lm, 18lm, 80lm.

Also take a look at the Lumintop iyp07. Comes in silver and pink and uses a Nichia 219C emitter.

Keitho

Enlightened
"Not black", yes; "attractive," ummm, in the eyes of the beholder...ZL SC64 has several LED options, of which the SC64c is my favorite (been in my pocket almost every day since 2017)--I like the 4000K and high CRI. The reason I mention the ZL is the UI--I have my ZL programmed for "wife mode"--6 clicks, and it is transformed into a 1-mode light (one click on, one click off; double-clicks don't do anything; triple-clicks or more are required to do something other than on/off). When I get it back, 7 clicks or 5 clicks gets it back into one of the "enthusiast modes" that I enjoy using.

There are several lights that most people would call more attractive with a very easy ramping interface--click on, hold to ramp up/down, double-click for turbo. My favorite-looking general purpose lights in that category is the Emisar D4v2--great value in my opinion.

best of luck!

dtlocke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, the Zebras look interesting but of course the SC64c is out of stock... And it's black, right? Looking for more attractive than just black! But I like the interface as I understand it.

"Not black", yes; "attractive," ummm, in the eyes of the beholder...ZL SC64 has several LED options, of which the SC64c is my favorite (been in my pocket almost every day since 2017)--I like the 4000K and high CRI. The reason I mention the ZL is the UI--I have my ZL programmed for "wife mode"--6 clicks, and it is transformed into a 1-mode light (one click on, one click off; double-clicks don't do anything; triple-clicks or more are required to do something other than on/off). When I get it back, 7 clicks or 5 clicks gets it back into one of the "enthusiast modes" that I enjoy using.

There are several lights that most people would call more attractive with a very easy ramping interface--click on, hold to ramp up/down, double-click for turbo. My favorite-looking general purpose lights in that category is the Emisar D4v2--great value in my opinion.

best of luck!
The Kietho looks like something I might want to play with but looking for simpler, "dummy" level UI for the ladies.

-**** L.

dtlocke

Newly Enlightened
The Olight looks pricey but good on the attractive factor... Not so much on the high CRI as you mention. The UI looks liks it can be suitably simple. Thanks for the suggestion.

-**** L.

The Olight S1R II Ti comes in a few different colors and looks real nice, but I don't believe it comes in HiCRI. They have a side switch and an easy UI with multiple brightness. So if HiCRI isn't a no go, they might be an option. If HiCRI is a mandatory, you could contact Vinh at SkyLumen because he sells these and he might be able to swap in a different emitter.

Sos24

Enlightened
The Olight looks pricey but good on the attractive factor... Not so much on the high CRI as you mention. The UI looks liks it can be suitably simple. Thanks for the suggestion.

-**** L.

If the Olight looks good, then contact Vinh at Skylumen. I know he uses the SST20 95CRI emitter in some of his lights and he does have the Olight, so he might be able to put the SST20 in the Olight .

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sofirn SF02 isn't high CRI, but I love the mode spacing, beam profile, UI. Tint is quite acceptable to me.

The red one is just $10.99 on Amazon right now.

dtlocke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,

I bought a copper version for myself ;-). I don't love the twisty but it's simple enough. It's a bit heavy. But it's beautiful & a nice light quality. It's a gift contender!

-**** L.

What about a Prometheus Beta? Single AAA, but it is long and thin. Shiny Electroless Nickel and comes with a proprietory quick release system to disengage it from the neckchain. From a US company, run by a very nice geezer.
P