What is this Old Vintage Bulb Base type?

FlashyOne

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I have a very old Perko battery powered boat lantern, looks like it took a 1.5V big dry cell. The bulb is 3/8" (major) diameter screw in type. I'm wondering what type of bulb to buy?

I plan to get an LED equivilant and already ordered two 4x D cell holders and can run 6v or 12v.

Anyone can help me know what the base to order would be much appreciated!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They were called E10 base.
E for Edison screw in
10 for ten millimeters.

Any screw in was/is called E followed by a number representing the OD in millimeters.

Edit: So you start at a bulb site like bulb town in the E10 section. Then find a bulb number and check the voltage it takes. E10 bulbs are expressed in whole numbers such as #14, 222 or that sort of numbering monikor.
End edit

Last edited:

FlashyOne

Newly Enlightened
Does the current bulb have a PR number? If it does, just find a current one with the same number that matches the voltage you will be supplying.

It's E10, I bought some LED's that are E10 and the threads screwed right in. What threw me was that I had NO IDEA that the metric system went that far back and was used over here at the time!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good E10 LED drop-in, if you are still looking for one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01631XMUY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

+1 on those! A really nice way to bring old lanterns/flashlights back to life. They are not polarity specific and will work with positive or negative polarity lights. Flashlights are typically positive polarity but old lanterns are often negative polarity.