Beware - Armytek leaking batteries and faulty circuitry

TheGrave

Newly Enlightened
Using the original battery I was on Main 2 mode (165lm) for about 2-3 hours. Just before I went to bed I turned it to Turbo 2 mode for about 5 seconds to take a look at the surrounding area and turned it off. When I went to bed in about 10 mins I noted flashlight is extremely hot which was strange as it was about 3 o'clock in the morning - quite cold at 1300m above sea level at this time (maybe around 14-15 degrees Celsius). I tried to turn it back on - I couldn't. Then I figured something's wrong and pulled out the battery. Unnecessary to explain the horrible smell that came out with it. Tried with another battery on the next day - no joy. I don't think I'll ever touch these Armytek batteries ever again and you should put a notice on your v3 Pro listing they are dangerous to use. Flashlight protection circuits unfortunately couldn't save it.

https://mega.nz/#!cJl02IJR!zUS43X45UQYA5wIuyoKuNU6qaqtfoVTSPnAcStxah3A

In the meantime I manage to catch on video the problem on the other flashlight that I have. Pulling the battery out fixed the problem this time but it doesn't always work. Here it is:

https://mega.nz/#!AZ8GDQYL!5G1cKNlwKhHOOfPxh39S1YGn-B5e0bs8d9P1ZZSXFZM

Both flashlights less than 2 years old. Used no more than 50 hours each. Bought from NKON, highly doubt there will be issues replacing them.

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
I don't think this is a fault with the battery. They're LG MH1 cells, and the only change Armytek makes is to add a second wrapper with their branding to the outside. It looks like the battery did its job and vented without fire or explosion upon overheating. It does sound like something caused a short in the light, which overheated the battery and caused it to vent. That is absolutely a serious failure and covered under warranty.

The second light in the video is set to momentary mode. There's nothing wrong with it; that feature is documented in the manual and appears to be working as designed. To put it back to normal, hold down the button, loosen the tailcap, then release the button.

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think this is a fault with the battery. They're LG MH1 cells, and the only change Armytek makes is to add a second wrapper with their branding to the outside.

I agree, I used Armytek batteries with Wizard "Basic" (XP-L) and Elf C2 I never had any problems even with prolonged Turbo stress.

After seeing this I bought many LG MH1 on Nkon, they are cheap but they are very good batteries.
Maybe something went wrong on the light.. ? We often read complaints about the Pro version

TheGrave

Newly Enlightened
The second light in the video is set to momentary mode. There's nothing wrong with it; that feature is documented in the manual and appears to be working as designed. To put it back to normal, hold down the button, loosen the tailcap, then release the button.

https://www.nkon.nl/sk/k/Wizard_Pro_v3_EN_Magnet_USB.pdf

I don't see momentary mode, perhaps you refer to Tactical? Even so I certainly never did what is necessary to enter it and my other flashlight never entered it as well:

To access the Tactical operation type, unscrew the tailcap to 1/4,press the button and tighten the tailcap again keeping the button pressed.

The problem occurs to me mostly during caving when I turn off the headlamp sometimes so that my eyes rest for 5-10 mins, then try to turn it back on. Mingling with tailcap screwing/unscrewing underground is something that I avoid by all means necessary unless a battery has to be replaced which is extremely rare (1 out of 10-15 trips) and the issue comes up almost every time.I'm kinda getting sick of this nonsense interface and 15 different types of modes they created.

Last edited:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Now I've not had a problem with any of my Armytek products. I own a Tiara and several Partner C2. With the Partners came a Armytek 3400 protected. No problems have occurred. Batteries have been ran down and charged no sweat, not seriously ran down I should add. Currently a Armytek battery is in my HDS. Warranty that light.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem occurs to me mostly during caving when I turn off the headlamp sometimes so that my eyes rest for 5-10 mins, then try to turn it back on. Mingling with tailcap screwing/unscrewing underground is something that I avoid by all means necessary unless a battery has to be replaced which is extremely rare (1 out of 10-15 trips) and the issue comes up almost every time.I'm kinda getting sick of this nonsense interface and 15 different types of modes they created.
Time for a new light with a sensible UI, I think.
P