Head too loose: any solution?

Cemoi

Enlightened
Hi all,
Before posting I searched for "Loose head" on thread titles in all forums, but found only posts relating to high quality lights which had to be returned to the manufacturer for being defective (bad machining of the threads). But moderators please feel free to move this post to a relevant thread if this has already been dealt with.
I've just bought a Blackwater Kite 10180 mini-flashlight (a Cooyoo Quantum clone). The twisty head operation is smooth, but too smooth to my liking. Because there is only one to 1.5 turn between "on" and "head too loose that may fall off", and there is some play in the threads, I would like to make the twist operation a bit harder. Here are the options I see:
  • Use a thicker o-ring: might be difficult to find the right diameter and thickness, since it only needs to be marginally thicker
  • Put some teflon tape or Loctite threadlocker (the blue one) around the male threads: I'm afraid it will prevent good electrical contact, since these threads are not anodized and used to connect the minus pole of the battery
  • Put some conductive "anti-lube" material on the threads or on the o-ring.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

focusworks

Newly Enlightened
Teflon or locktite on the threads is going to be a bad plan and you're right finding a bigger o-ring is going to be hard. You could try putting a wrap of Teflon or electrical tape in just the o-ring groove to get the existing o-ring to stretch out a bit.
Jordy

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
As focusworks mentioned, wrap a thin tape of sort underneath the o-ring in the the groove. I would suggest cleaning the groove with rubbing alcohol so that the adhesive on the tape can adhere properly to the metal body. This will fractionally push out the o-ring for tightness. I don't know the durability of this though as constant twisting action could dislodge or bunch up the tape.

Good luck!

Vemice

Enlightened
Actually, I have had good luck with the O-ring solution. If you have a good neighborhood hardware store like Ace or True Value, many times there is a very knowledgeable person that can help find what your are looking for.
Mine had a bin with hundreds of different sizes just millimeters apart. You would probably just need that same ID with another mm of thickness.
Take the original O-ring with you and see what happens.
Worth a try. Good luck.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When we've spoken with Gene Malkoff about wobbly heads on his lights (they have mode switching by yightening and loosening the heads) he suggests cleaning allthe lube off the threads and oring and reassembling. It certainly works on his lights.
P