Researching: Most common / popular Personal Lights for Fire and Emergency Services /

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m currently doing some research to find out what the fire, emergency services personnel, and police are using and am curious as to what if any demand there may or may not be for a personal retention system for those lights.
I m aware of the Streamlight Survivor old and new,
Polarion PL3 and CF3
Not sure what others there are...

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen many guys using Surefire G2Xs, either the Tactical, LEO or Pro. I also know that years back a large metropolitan dept. near me issued the rechargeable Streamlights with docks in both the squad room and the vehicles. I haven't personally observed any LEOs using a "retention system" of any kind besides their gloves.

LTBL777

Newly Enlightened
Im an EMT part time myself and someone I partner with like the Streamlight PolyTacs in Yellow.
We have a couple of the older 275 lumens and I just bought a 600 lumen version.
The reasons I carry these over my Surefires is the grip they offer and the yellow color lets me see if theres any blood on the light after handling while bandaging a pt. The yellow also makes it less likely to get left behind. The deep-pocket clip ensures it will stay in my pocket as I hop in and out of the ambulance.
I really don't want lot of lumens on scene. It can just blind other responders or family.
Primary i need to light up stairs and walkways, see a form we're writing on or look at a wound.
I usually have Malkoff on the ambulance if I need help finding a house number.

In my opinion lights that an EMT likes will be different from fire and fire will be different from police needs.

I have no need for a retention system other than the stock clip mentioned.
Other EMTS / EMRS I work with all carry different lights if at all.

LedTed

Enlightened
Being a steadfast flashlight enthusiast, I have had the fortune to influence a few on their choice of work flashlights.Some years ago, one of my EMT friends upgraded from an incandescent 2 X AA Mag-Lite Mini-Mag to a newer (100 lumen) 2 X AAA Streamlight Stylus Pro; keeping the open top style nylon holster - as it moves freely as needed when changing body positions.I also know a Reserve Officer who uses a (I believe rechargeable) Streamlight Stinger LED, in a duty belt holster, as his primary duty light. However, he also pocket carries (via its clip) a Second Edition NiteCore D10 SP; running a single CR14505 battery. The Reservist admits his D10 gets used more.My local LEOs also use Streamlight Stingers [though I don't know which one(s) specifically] in various holsters and a few incandescent 2 X D Mag-Lites on the loops.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I'm a volunteer firefighter. Ive been using a streamlight survivor led for about 6 years and its served me well through ive seen a couple break the plastic part that holds the lens and reflector. I think the new ones with the lower profile will be much more durable in that regard. My helmet light is a foxfury rook that was given to me by a fellow. He bought 2 and had one crap out and get replaced on warranty. I was replaced with a "newer" version. He gave me the second "older" version which had been serving me fine for a few years. Its punched in the top on the aw battery I use in it but this has not proven to be an issue. Also I occasionally need to tighten the switch reraining ring. Overall its fine. I wouldnt buy it but since it was free I'll use it. I like that it quick detaches from the mount. Since I normally edc a light as well when we were doing overhaul at the last fire at night I handed out my helmet light and used my sc52w zebralight as well. Ive used whatever I have as my edc on scene or training a number of times.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hopefully none use their celphone unless it's the absolute last available light source aside from a BiC lighter.

The police in my city are issued SL20 model lights. Don't know which version but they mostly stay in the car anyway as many buy their own smaller lights by NiteCore, 511 etc. The bosses carry SureFires. Usually fastened to their hip via holsters of varying types.

It's kind of un-nerving at times being a flashaholic around policemen as I scan their frame looking to see what light they use. Sometimes I wonder if they think I'm a crook looking to acost them or a kook looking to …… well you know.

I see at times rescue personell carrying two aa sized Pelicans and Streamlight pen lights in their shirt pocket. And fire personell wearing helmet mounted lights.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all. I am building a system for different models and was checking to see if it would be beneficial for the above uses. Some yes and some no...

I appreciate everyone's comments

tbhracing

Newly Enlightened
I'm in fire and like the Streamlight Survivor.

Also, in Southern California, the Pelican line is popular.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight survivor was used in my FD and most of the guys has the streamlight helmet light, also. I went with a surefire g2x tactical and was plenty happy. When I working the road as a paramedic I've been carrying the solarforce z1 for a few years and it's nice. Plenty bright but completely disappears clipped into the corner of my back pocket. Really need to either mod it or just upgrade to something with high cri for that, though.

desertrunner

Banned
Whatever you get, I highly suggest the light be USB rechargeable. Streamlight, Pelican and Fenix are putting out some handheld units. Pelican is also in So Cal and has great customer service.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever you get, I highly suggest the light be USB rechargeable. Streamlight, Pelican and Fenix are putting out some handheld units. Pelican is also in So Cal and has great customer service.

No way. One shift and you'll have that charging cable snapped off inside the jack somehow.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Malkoff's, Streamlights, and SureFires.

And also the occasional Pelican.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Early in my flashaholic days I bought a Streamlight ProTac EMS light for its unique beam characteristics. We had a teenager in the house who bumped his noggin a couple of times playing football and the EMS workers had one for checking pupil dialation. Say when checking, the direct beam would cause the right pupil to shrink while spill lit the left eye without shrinking the pupil so in a low light situation they could compare.

Trouble was back then ProTac lights had a circuit cut issue where only a few degree loosening of the tailcap cut the circuit and the o'rings were thin enough to not provide enough resistance to keep the tailcap snuggly fastened down. I used pipe thread tape on mine back then. I do not know if Streamlight solved that in future batches but it was definitely a pain in the butt issue.