The Fenix-Store        
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Enlightened

Default Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Quote Originally Posted by discoverEDC View Post
    WALL-E. What on earth is under that optic?
    It's one of my red shop cloths, I use them to wipe chips off the parts after they come off the mill. It really hammered home the 'Terminator' vibe. If anyone is interested, I will take another when it's doing its job of holding parts the mill - it screams 'WALL-E' and give a great glimpse of how all y'alls engines (among other parts) will be made in the future!

Flashaholic

Wow, that shop cloth looks like a bloody eyeball under the magnification of the optic. Always enjoy seeing the behind the scenes operations.

My tiny nugget 21700.. the box still smells of the charring process...

pictured next to my S21

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15eU...ew?usp=sharing

Update:

Just finished a shop week and had some (hopefully) fantastic progress in the form of a great new evolution in the design. This is currently not for sale as it undergoes torture testing etc.

The new design is a kind of throwback to our first model that went on sale years ago. The original concept was a design so simple (aesthetically) it didn't even have a bezel - just two pieces that rotated to adjust brightness. That concept was very difficult to replicate with the new user-LED-replaceable 'wireless' design. That old design also did not have a user-replaceable QTC piston and was just clunky in general. This new model (if it holds up to our smash testing) will drastically reduce the time it takes to change an LED out by making much easier access to the fastening components. In my opinion it also looks cool - and now only has 2 possible points of water incursion....at the optic, and at the battery tube. Which are both water-sealed tight. Getting rid of the battery tube tail cap and bezel on the front feels real good. Machining them however was a nightmare at first.

Here are some pics of the unanodized components. We will get back home tomorrow and anodize them and have some fun/tears torture-testing them.

This design also opens up some other interesting possibilities in the form of optic options....hopefully. We'll be back with video of some torture testing (and the ever-elusive LED change video) soon.

-Fraz

Enlightened

Crawled out of the shop around 11:30PM tonight, as this was prototype week! Nothing I say could describe the process, but if you slam your hand in a car door every day for a week it's a close second...

Also, I'm pretty sure I shaved several years off my life this week for various reasons, as well as gained more than a few gray hairs. Balance is good, right?

All jokes aside, I want opinions!! Do y'all like the ascending milling marks on the engines, or do y'all like them all on the same level (like Fraz's photos above on the new prototype, or the current engines)?

Here's a photo for you DiscoverEDC - this is the WALL-E jig (pre-engrave) in action. Here are two engines, straight off the band saw, and two freshly machined. They'll be in y'alls hands after being bead blasted, washed, anodized, and shipped.

Flashaholic

+1 on ascending milling marks because it sort of shows the adjustability of the led, but having them all the same is pretty cool looking too. Iíd buy them both!

Would 2xcr123 destroy these lights? Thanks

Shipping delayed!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Anxiously awaiting my new bombproof zombie apocalypse EOTW Lumenite 21700
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

The ascending milling marks are nice but I would rather have them all the same length. Aesthetically I think it looks better when marks are all even.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter21 View Post
    Would 2xcr123 destroy these lights? Thanks
    Yes, the over-voltage will fry the LED (won't destroy the light, but will certainly fry the emitter).

Flashaholic

This new design looks like it will provide good grip for one-hand use. The old lights had checkering which provided a good grip but chews up pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    The ascending milling marks are nice but I would rather have them all the same length. Aesthetically I think it looks better when marks are all even.
    +1

Came here to say just this... If the ascending marks indicated a level or something, maybe..

The even lines of Fraz's prototype are much more appealing to me

The ascending marks are more interesting looking and make FrazLights distinctive but I have yet to experience them in-hand. The fluting difference will probably not give better heat release with the longer flutes?

Wondering if the single cell 26650(+) design challenge has been addressed?

Loving the throwback simplicity too! You two make candlepowerforums more interesting.

#Sos24 your PM is full

I think ya'll will like the new design....if it holds up to the battered tree abuse (me and my buddy and Speck throwing the new prototype against a tree for hours). Reminds me of Hellboy squashing a pixie (seems brutal but something that needs to be done...not that the light has teeth).

I've also seen new peeps on reddit discussing the light,..very interesting (many threads now apparently). Makes me appreciate you guys even more than I already did. I am not an electrical engineer.
    -Fraz

will the Tiny Nugget 21700 be restocked on the website any time soon?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    #Sos24 your PM is full
    Iíve cleaned it out.

Quote Originally Posted by vand3537 View Post
    will the Tiny Nugget 21700 be restocked on the website any time soon?
    We will be going back to the shop next week, so should be around 10 days for a restock.

Did a 30 x drop test onto concrete today testing the new design for weakness. Everything held up nicely. A few more tests and we should be good to go.

I love these videos!!

Can't imagine what the neighbors were thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    I love these videos!!
    Thanks! We have some ideas for some very interesting other testing vids...

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    Can't imagine what the neighbors were thinking!
    Ha! That was going through my head the whole time (dropping the light onto concrete is surprisingly loud). We did some testing in the park today that involved batting practice again and some flashlight-basketball. Got some interesting looks there too. I'm editing the video now along with some footage of the aftermath to the unit.

Flashaholic*

That poor concrete. 😞
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Can you imagine the 911 call on this? Ya some strange guys out here throwing something around and then picking it up smiling and then does it again 😂😂 think we have a 5150!
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

So, how in the world do I get my hands on one of these? Just found out about them and all stock on the website is gone...

Also is there a convenient size comparison anywhere? Which one would be the closest to a Sunwayman V11r / JetBeam RRT01 size range?

Finally, I searched the whole thread and not one mention of a POCKET CLIP... is this blasphemy to want one?

Write a PM to specacuda or to The Fraz, and they will get you on the list for the next batch. My Tiny Nugget 18650 measures 4 1/4 inches in length, with a head diameter of 1 3/8 inches. It's a larger, heavier light than the two you mention, but great as it is. No clip that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    That poor concrete. 
    Indeed. That light (and the concrete) took some pretty good scuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Can you imagine the 911 call on this? Ya some strange guys out here throwing something around and then picking it up smiling and then does it again  think we have a 5150!
    I've broken them in slowly....the drone is another one of their favorites. Wait until we finish the air-cannon for the torture test....

Quote Originally Posted by Kingnog View Post
    So, how in the world do I get my hands on one of these? Just found out about them and all stock on the website is gone...

Also is there a convenient size comparison anywhere? Which one would be the closest to a Sunwayman V11r / JetBeam RRT01 size range?

Finally, I searched the whole thread and not one mention of a POCKET CLIP... is this blasphemy to want one?
    We're headed in this week to the shop (got held up a bit, but should still be machining by Wednesday). We will have inventory shortly thereafter. The stock goes pretty quick on the website, but we try to keep some stuff for CPF members that are interested. The pocket clip and lanyard are things in the pipeline, but will be a while. We're focusing on really fine-tuning design for the next bit.

Speaking of which...video below of some new testing/design...

Here is a bit of the testing for the new Nugget prototype. It continues after the concrete drop test. More batting practice and a little bit of basketball (which I've never done before with a light).

Also this shows the new internals of this particular design and the aftermath of the torture testing.

Pretty sweet and abusive torture test I would say. A stupid question; would this still function after an EMP, I know it's highly unlikely, but nevertheless the question? I mean technically since it doesn't have any kind of circuit boards or anything.
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    Pretty sweet and abusive torture test I would say. A stupid question; would this still function after an EMP, I know it's highly unlikely, but nevertheless the question? I mean technically since it doesn't have any kind of circuit boards or anything.
    Thanks . We have some more stuff in mind as well that should be interesting. The goal is to do this kind of stuff until we get a fail point somewhere and then upgrade the design.

As for the EMP, I don't have a way to test it, but I suspect the aluminum body would act as a Faraday cage, protecting the emitter from the pulse. The only exception is if you were unlucky enough to be pointing the light directly at the source of the blast at the time of detonation. Again, this is all speculation. I would love to test it for something like an EMP.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23262728293031323334 LastLast