Malkoff        
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 478910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Flashaholic*

Default Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Quote Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post
    I use 21700s in mine...
    I was talking about the 18350 light.
    Last edited by bigburly912; 10-28-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Default Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

I think he is just referring to a different light. I'm actually unsure of the relevance of the comment. It does not apply to your case.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote302 View Post
    I would like a Lumenite 18650 and a Tiny Tank. Both with a high CRI emitter around 4000 K with a smooth, floody beam if possible. Please let me know if you need anything else from me.
    Good to go, we've put you in

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    can these lights use the E21A led ? that, or a new samsung 5400k - 5700k LED.

I am thinking to be down for an 18650
    thanks.
    I'm looking into the new E21A LEDs. I haven't tested them yet, but they should work just fine within a reasonable Vf

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Am I still on list, hoping for a PM soon!
    Yes indeed! And it is coming soon - we are scaling better each time at the shop.

how do you get on list?
    how this work ?

thanks.
    On it now

Quote Originally Posted by ScapegoatUmi View Post
    I also have some old AW 18350s that are doing just fine. I may have to try the vapecell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The battery length is currently the main issue. These lights are designed for low resistance (non-protected) cells. We're working on making additional tube (or adjustable) tube options.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    The battery length is currently the main issue. These lights are designed for low resistance (non-protected) cells. We're working on making additional tube (or adjustable) tube options.
    Are you saying these AWs are not a good length? They are non-protected, purchased new here on CPF years ago. They are about 5 years old, but only saw a few cycles.

I have had to reshape the spring, as it was catching on the edge of its hole, preventing max output.

What 18350 cells do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by ScapegoatUmi View Post
    Are you saying these AWs are not a good length? They are non-protected, purchased new here on CPF years ago. They are about 5 years old, but only saw a few cycles.

I have had to reshape the spring, as it was catching on the edge of its hole, preventing max output.

What 18350 cells do you recommend?

Measuring with calipers in a second (with pics). The battery tube is designed to keep constant pressure between springs the entire time while allowing for the maximum and minimum battery length of various battery types. But there is such a discrepancy between "18650" batteries they can sometimes exceed the length which causes them to crush between the battery tube and the engine. We've used mainly unprotected cells because they are shorter and the batteries typically perform better in this design (especially with the safer chemistries we have available now). I'll post a pic of the batteries we use shortly.

Measuring with calipers in a second (with pics). The battery tube is designed to keep constant pressure between springs the entire time while allowing for the maximum and minimum battery length of various battery types. But there is such a discrepancy between "18650" batteries they can sometimes exceed the length which causes them to crush between the battery tube and the engine. We've used mainly unprotected cells because they are shorter and the batteries typically perform better in this design (especially with the safer chemistries we have available now). I'll post a pic of the batteries we use shortly.

Typical length of the batteries used in these lights. Gives constant positive contact pressure for no flickering for loss of contact on impact.

These two lights are now for sale for first-come-first-serve. One is a 18500 "Blaster" light. A good combo of crazy bright and very carryable (sp?) for it's size. It has a SST40 LED that is very bright for it's size. I know this light is a weird battery size, so the battery comes with it.

The other is a Tiny Nugget 18350 without any flutes for grip. I just think it looks kinda cool. The 18500 Blaster is $100 and the non-fluted 18350 is $85 (battery included). Granted, the non-fluted 18350 is harder to grip for those that work with oil...

I have a youtube video downloading now to give an idea of the blaster's brightness for it's size.

-Fraz

Vid showing the power of the little 18500 SST40 versus my favorite old light (Wolf Eyes 170otf). Not fair, but still gives a good idea of this little light.

-Fraz

Vid showing the power of the little 18500 SST40 versus my favorite old light (Wolf Eyes 170otf). Not fair, but still gives a good idea of this little light.

-Fraz
    Ill take the Blaster 18500, and could I get a Epoch 18350 while im at it? How about a 21700 big E?18650 /21700 Luminite?

what lens does these lights use?
    tough?.

how are wires and solder toughness testing and fixes getting on ?

is this available in 21700 ?

are these EDC' able ?

how would these compare to say the other tough lights such as Malkoff and Elzetta, HDS?.

thanks.
    Last edited by neutralwhite; 10-29-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    Elzetta ZFL-M60

All I knows is I got a tracking number on mine! Oh boy oh boy 😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

what lens does these lights use?

tough?.

how are wires and solder toughness testing and fixes getting on ?

is this available in 21700 ?

are these EDC' able ?

how would these compare to say the other tough lights such as Malkoff and Elzetta, HDS?.

thanks.
    The optic is a Carclo 26.5mm tight spot for the Tiny Nugget series. The Lumenite uses a 35mm Gaggione in either throw or flood. Yes, the lenses are very tough.

The light has no wires and the only solder is on the LED pad and 2 leads. The light really doesn't have any breakable parts (I suspect the battery would be the first thing to fail).
    The internals look like this:

The engine creates cinch-points to maintain constant pressure over the LED leads rather than wires.

Here is some torture testing:

The golf test is particularly brutal imo.

The Lumenite is available in 21700 but that version is currently out of stock.

Yes, the Tiny Nugget versions are EDCable. I currently EDC a Tiny Nugget in 18350 or 18500.

My goal is to make these lights the toughest on the market. No electronics to break.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
    -Fraz

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    All I knows is I got a tracking number on mine! Oh boy oh boy 
    They're on the way

Flashaholic*

Im excited to try it out.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

I sent you a pm but was wondering if you could post min/max battery length that we should be using. Id like to get some ordered but dont want to get ones that are to long thanks
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic*

Post 396 brother
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Ya saw that but curious if we can use cells a little longer or shorter. Or is the length critical.

Flashaholic*

Ya saw that but curious if we can use cells a little longer or shorter. Or is the length critical.
    Ahhh gotcha
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

I sent you a pm but was wondering if you could post min/max battery length that we should be using. Id like to get some ordered but dont want to get ones that are to long thanks
    The 18650s are around 2.56" and the 18350s 1.38". The length is not totally critical but it definitely doesn't need to be much longer than those lengths. Some of the protected cells are probably a bit too long. The tube has double springs (positive and negative end) giving you .3" or so of wiggle room, but getting the battery too long will result in the battery compressing in the tube before the piston compresses. I'm tinkering with some designs that have an adjustment mechanism for the longer batteries but they are still being prototyped. For now generally the unprotected, safe-chemistry, high-discharge battery varieties are what I use.

Sounds good. Thanks and great work!

PM incoming for the next on the list:

Tiny Nugget 18350
    @lightjunk
    @pilo7448
    @CRKDmike

Lumenite 18650:
    @kevin77
    @tanasit

is QTC the same as say the HDS Rotary Dial - ?.
    thanks!.
    Last edited by neutralwhite; 10-30-2020 at 03:39 AM.
    Elzetta ZFL-M60

Ill let the experts chime in but basically it functions like peak lights with there QTC. the conductive materials are too far apart to conduct electricity but when pressure is applied, they move closer and electrons can travel through it. Its pretty fail proof and has no moving parts. From what I see its just a pill with this material in it and can be replaced pretty quick. Its a pretty cool design.

To add- the light functions in a similar fashion- the more you tighten either half, the brighter it gets. When you loosen, it gets dimmer until it goes out. No electronics, just compressing a conductive material. Actual threads in play here rather than just rotation of part of the light, and no elf as Hogo says.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

No expert here but I found this Quantum Tunneling Composite: QTC consists of tiny nickel particles embedded in a rubbery polymer material. When QTC is deformed in some way - by squeezing, stretching or twisting - the nickel particles get closer to each other and the material becomes a conductor. The more it is deformed, the closer the particles get and the better the material is at conducting electricity.
    The HDS Rotary uses a different mechanism. Although it ramps up and down when rotated, it increases/decreases in 24 discreet steps...
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Ya not much to go wrong and if Im thinking right even if the pill breaks or gets lost you could probably put a piece of conductive material in the spot and limp home only get one output but.... Not sure so dont take that to the bank.

Can I get on the list for a Tiny Nugget 18350?

Flashaholic*

Oh man. Its hit Knoxville Tennessee
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Mine says still stuck in LITTLE ROCK, AR. Think post office tracking is messed up

Flashaholic*

Mine literally just updated. It was stuck for me too
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 478910111213141516171819 LastLast