ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Default Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

It feels great to post in an actual sales thread again. Finally some new lights are ready to go.

Here is a little background on the project if you are interested. The original project I documented here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...battery-crush) in the homemade section of CPF. The design developed and grew into better units which went on sale in the paragraphs below.

The following is a description of theQzark26350, a flashlight from my previous thread. It was the foundation for the new design that will be available in this thread. The idea behind this light remains the same and the parts in bold are edits to the original post:

Around 4 years ago(close to 10 now),I decided to design a light that went the opposite direction of most current technology. I wanted less bells and whistles, no strobe.Simple, rugged, reliable, and compact.

So I came up with this design. It is a very minimal, QTC-based,flashlight using an XM-L2or XP-L neutral. I eliminated all the parts I possibly could to try and reduce failure bottlenecks. It only has 2 solder points (on the LED pads), the LED sits firmly on the heat sink attached by machine screws. No printed circuit board to fail. And a very simple user interface...simply twist to brighten.

I also wanted to eliminate as many pieces of the traditional flashlight body as I could, so this only has 3. The engine, bezel, and body. It only has 2 moving pieces, which are the body and bezel. The light is very overbuilt and feels heavy for its size. The light is small.I measured the current draw at between 3 and 4 amps at the light's highest level (direct drive at full), depending on which battery you use. I recommend a safe chemistry or protected cell. The light can reach lows that are hard to detect and can slowly drain the battery.The light is in the 'off' position when the lip of the body is outside of the bezel lip.

The original post can be found here:https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...now-available)

Through the sales and use of this light I discovered the inevitable aspects of the design that I did not like, but more importantly I found the failures in the supply chain that I never saw coming. I had to learn how to machine all the parts in house and make the design and assembly as efficient as possible. I think this makes for a better light and also allows us to keep theprice down while making the parts here in the US.

Over the next few years I eliminated the parts of the design I didn't like (or combined them into a single piece with CNC) and experimented with making various models. Also we implemented the use of other smart materials in addition to QTC and made it possible for anyone to change these materials out (one of the biggest hiccups of the original design).

Being forced to redesign the light from near scratch, I tackled all the issues that bothered me about the Qzark 26650 design. The piston wear, non-replaceable QTC, and small bits and pieces of epoxy or other bothersome parts to keep things in place.

Here are the new designs in various stages of assembly (tumbled but no anodization on left, anodization on middle two, and raw aluminum before tumbling on right):

The Tiny Nugget 18350, Lumenite 26350, Big E 26350, and Lumenite 18650.

The new design is documented here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ls-flashlights

It uses a much improved piston system that allows user-replaceable QTC or any other smart material that behaves like QTC.

Here are a few other pics of the design:

We design and machine all these components from scratch to make this system work and protect the QTC far longer than the older models of lights:

These lights are also tumbled, deburred, and natural anodize coated by us.

Right now I have only one unit for sale, a Lumenite 26350. I made a video of the exact light for sale here:

Notice because we do some hand processing on these and do everything in-house, these first units will have some minor blemishes on them.

The Lumenite is $125 shipped and comes with a 26350 battery. The charger is not included.

The Lumenite is 2.75" x 1.72"

I will update this thread as we assemble the other models seen above. If there are particular models that interest you, let me know and I can make them in higher numbers accordingly. To see progress of these lights you can follow us on Instagram here https://www.instagram.com/frazlabs/?hl=en and/or youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC22..._as=subscriber

I will update these channels often as we work to make the design better. If you are interested in the Lumenite above, please mention so in this thread or PM me.

Thank you,
    Fraz
    Last edited by TheFraz; 08-22-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Default Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Some tech details about the Lumenite:

It is a proprietary design. All one chunk milled from a single piece of 6061 aluminum. I believe this gives much better heatsinking.

Some pieces we make here in Arkansas that go into the light:

These pieces go into making the light easier to assemble and more importantly better performing.

This piston system is what makes the QTC or other smart-materials effective. Protecting the QTC.

I like the engine to be a clean look/design. The fewer points of failure the better.

Waiting list so far...

nbp (Paid Shipped)
    Glenn7 (Paid ) (shipped)
    Strintguy
    mk2rocco
    id30209 (paid)
    chipwillis (paid) (shipped)
    Luckyonion
    Zandar
    Uriah
    Gunga (paid) (shipped)
    obijuan kenobe
    justanotherguy
    euroken
    egginator
    Eciton
    Tixx
    emu124
    sledhead
    Bla2000
    Nbp
    Karlthev
    Nightshade
    Str8stroke
    Rasher
    aerodrew
    Toolman
    Ride
    Lane32x
    triac
    psmboost
    scout24
    zunkted

This will be updated with more detail shortly (on my phone at the moment...). Also, I will double check this list and make sure I didn't miss anyone.
    Last edited by TheFraz; 10-04-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Iíll take it!

I'll take the next a Big Nugget (Lumenite) 18650, or maybe a Big E 26350 if you have one spare please. I would like a neutral to warm (or high CRI) tint.
    Assuming the optics in the Big E make the beam wider but the optics in the Big Nugget throwier?
    Last edited by Glenn7; 08-22-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Flashaholic*

I'll be in for a Big Nugget too!

I'm in for an 18650 light with something around a 4000k emitter (XPL HI, 219C, or 319A preferred)
    Last edited by mk2rocco; 09-02-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Default Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Iím in for Tiny, Big E and Lumenite
    EDIT: if possible to choose emitter then 351D 5000k 90CRI in all

I would like a lumenite
    Once things leave my hands I am not responsible for what happens.

In for tiny nugget please

Thank you for the order NBP! It shipped today, and I've taken note of all these requests and will fill them ASAP. I'm back in town Sunday and in the meantime, Felicia is anodizing and getting everything ready. Again, thanks so much.

-Fraz

Popcorn Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Yikes, I've been trying to log in all day! I'm sure I've missed out on the first batch but please put me down for one of those 26350 "Big E" lumenlite or whatever will be available in the future. Thanks, alex
    Last edited by Zandar; 08-23-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Flashaholic*

I'm excited by the simplicity and durability. Also love high CRI

Awesome thanks! Canít wait to try it!

I would like to get one of The Tiny Nuggets 18350 with a XM-L2 emitter.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Uriah; 08-26-2019 at 05:40 AM.

Interested in 18350 and possibly 18650 with 4000K LED. High cri if possible but not green tinted.

Dude, don't leave me hanging!! 18350 or 26350!!

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Back in town and I'm back to work assembling the lights. I'll let you know what is available when they are finished and I'll try to get lights to the people in order of request first. I'll notify the thread and the potential buyers when they are done.

Thank you so much for your interest and patience.

-Fraz

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

He's back!!!!

Interested : Lumenite 18650
    Last edited by justanotherguy; 08-26-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Flashaholic*

would be interested in 18650 hi cri version if available.

Here's the next unit up for sale. Another Lumenite 26350 that comes with a battery. This one will have a small discount, priced at $115, because of some small cosmetic flaws (lathe teeth marks from ano removal....ugh). Other than that, the function is flawless. This one has an XP-L HI emitter with a 5k neutral tint. Here are some pics and a video of this unit:

I would like to ship to the US only now if possible (shipping is included in the price for the US). If you are overseas and interested, PM me and I can quote shipping. Again, you can post in this thread or PM me if interested in purchasing this light.

I am assembling some more units now. Next will likely be a Tiny Nugget 18350 and a Lumenite 18650. I'm going to try to get a Big E 26350 put together as well if I've got time tonight.

I really appreciate all your support. I'm using all the funds from these lights to continue to improve the design and scale the manufacturing processes to make them faster. I couldn't do it without you early adopters.

-Fraz
    Last edited by TheFraz; 08-27-2019 at 07:36 PM.

I'd like to take it Fraz but I wanted a Lumenite 18650 as well and since I was 2nd on the "I'll take it" list can I wait till you assemble a Lumenite 18650 then work out postage to Tasmania, Australia for both please?

Iíll take it if it doesnít work out with Glenn7

In for an 18350 now that CPF is back! I posted on Instagram as @UKfountainpens a few days ago but I don't know if that counts as my spot in line

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    I'd like to take it Fraz but I wanted a Lumenite 18650 as well and since I was 2nd on the "I'll take it" list can I wait till you assemble a Lumenite 18650 then work out postage to Tasmania, Australia for both please?
    That sounds good Glenn. I'll figure out the postage and let you know. Also, if you're interested, the Lumenite head will fit both the 18650 and 26350 battery tubes - you can buy a separate tube to fit the head unless you want 2 full lights.

-Fraz

Quote Originally Posted by egginator1 View Post
    Iíll take it if it doesnít work out with Glenn7
    I will update the site with new available units this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Eciton View Post
    In for an 18350 now that CPF is back! I posted on Instagram as @UKfountainpens a few days ago but I don't know if that counts as my spot in line
    Hey Eciton! Good to hear from you on CPF as well . Yes, I'll work as quickly as possible to get everyone in line covered.

-Fraz

First Tiny Nugget 18350 is up for sale. It will be the light only with no battery or charger. Price is $85 (shipped in the US....if overseas let me know and I will add shipping appropriately). Again, this is the first unit out in the wild, so it does have imperfections as do the previous units. The pics and vids below show exactly the unit you will be receiving. The cool thing about this unit is it uses the same optic as the first Qzark 26650 light that I sold....however the engine has been shrunk enough to use in pocket lights now (while maintaining a larger piston which makes the QTC last longer).

Pics of the light being sold:

Tumbled (for grip) and natural anodized.

And a video of the unit working:

Glenn, I've got you on space #1 on the bundle list and I've taken note of everyone else on the list too. I will list the specs and mechanics of the individual models at the top post of the thread soon. In the meantime, if you want this light or the previous Lumenite let me know.

As always, I appreciate all your support,
    Fraz

What type of emitter is used in that 18350 light? I'm interested depending on the color temp!

Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocco View Post
    What type of emitter is used in that 18350 light? I'm interested depending on the color temp!

Sorry, I should've mentioned that! It is a CREE XP-L in neutral 5k.

-Fraz

I'm on the list for 4000k right.? Are these easily modded?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast