HDS Systems        
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212425262728293031

Thread: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Flashaholic

Default Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    Good: KW CULPM1.TG recentered and working
    Bad: Lumenite 21700 optic does not play well with dedomed emitters

XP-L HI and other flats will end up losing the advantage of throw
    After having swapped emitters I don't know how much you can lower the optic with it sitting on an aluminum lip. You could put an aluminum or copper shim underneath the emitter.

A question for either Paul or Felicia - if I ordered a 5k Tiny Tank, would you have used an XP-L2 v5? Just want to know.

I got the light yesterday and am liking your minimalist philosophy very much. I will be ordering again.

Quote Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
    A question for either Paul or Felicia - if I ordered a 5k Tiny Tank, would you have used an XP-L2 v5? Just want to know.

I got the light yesterday and am liking your minimalist philosophy very much. I will be ordering again.
    Off hand I don't recall, but likely it was a Samsung 351d at 5k (unless specified otherwise in the order). Those are my current favorites in the Tiny Tank/Nuggets, but with some additional optic options that 'favorite' category is increasing. You can take the bezel off the top and see the emitter, if you take a pic I'll be happy to identify. And glad you're liking it! We're finally back at home now anodizing/assembling, so I apologize if I have neglected anyone's questions, we'll get to them asap.

-Fraz

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    This is Fantastic!!! I cannot wait to get my hands on an 18350 battery tube. And more lights of course!! This light has crushed my desire to want another hds rotary...!!
    Fraz talked to Henry a few years ago (somewhere in between us knowing we needed to make the lights ourselves and us becoming Google PhDs at rapid prototyping and machining) and he was VERY helpful. Y'all keep buying HDS lights, don't make him hate us!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzer08 View Post
    I want a 18650 Tiny Nugget 4000K please, and a 18350 tube!! I signed up for alerts on the website, but would rather just get on the list. Is pre-pay an option?
    I've got you on the list but they'll all ship at roughly the same time. Our schedule is to machine a week (in a shop two hours from our house), anodize and assemble a week at our house, then sell and ship everything while we do it all over again. The last several months we've been waiting on various (crucial) things to be delivered (emitters, optics, thermal paste, tape, boxes, all sorts of other crazy things that really shouldn't be in short supply but apparently are) so shipping is a bit delayed. We try to do the best we can with what we have. No prepay, we will let you know when things are available and they're ready to ship. One of us will be in touch toward the end of the week!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    Off hand I don't recall, but likely it was a Samsung 351d at 5k (unless specified otherwise in the order). Those are my current favorites in the Tiny Tank/Nuggets, but with some additional optic options that 'favorite' category is increasing. You can take the bezel off the top and see the emitter, if you take a pic I'll be happy to identify. And glad you're liking it! We're finally back at home now anodizing/assembling, so I apologize if I have neglected anyone's questions, we'll get to them asap.

-Fraz
    Love this Light! Here is the LED

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1612930963.757101.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by discoverEDC View Post
    Fraz or speck, does the piston need lubricant and if so what kind? Maybe the CLP? I have swapped the LED enough times that the piston has lost any lubrication by being handled.
    I like lube on the piston for smoothness of operation (I always like to think of the light as an engine). A tiny tiny dab is usually all you need once it's broken in. My old EDCs haven't had additional lube in months/years.

Quote Originally Posted by geisto View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Since the sides of the piston rests within a plastic "housing", there won't be any electro-fusing of two dissimilar metals. The major friction point is the piston against the lip of the body. Lubing the lip of the body and threads is sufficient. You can clean the lip and threads and reapply lube as appropriate. Now if you have some serious acidic fingers and the piston is getting eaten away, I am sure Fraz will hook you up with a replacement piston.
    Correct , a dab of lube where the piston makes contact with the battery tube is all that's needed. A dab on the threads is also good because that is where the majority of friction takes place. And yes, we can do an extra piston, but it should be like the energizer bunny running the light for the brass to wear down that much.

Quote Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
    Thanks ! That is definitely a Samsung 351D at 5k. If there is something else you would rather have in it, let me know - it's an easy swap.

Thanks ! That is definitely a Samsung 351D at 5k. If there is something else you would rather have in it, let me know - it's an easy swap.
    Thank you for the reply - I like this LED as it is.
    I'm now using this light every night for the dark woods Dog-walk. The throw and spill from this setup are about ideal and the infinite control of intensity is excellent. I went up in the attic with this light last night and sat there for 20 minutes in the dark. Then I slowly twisted the head (of the flashlight) to determine just when it comes on. Astoundingly low and steady output after the qtc pill makes good contact.
    This light will be very useful for camping or night trail walking. My pack will now have this Tank and my two HDS when I head out into the wilds....

I think Iíve been through the whole thread but:

Is it safe to use dielectric silicone grease on these rings or are they silicone rings?

I found a small dab of Nyogel works real nice on the piston. Even smoother for me than the CLP.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I think Iíve been through the whole thread but:

Is it safe to use dielectric silicone grease on these rings or are they silicone rings?

I found a small dab of Nyogel works real nice on the piston. Even smoother for me than the CLP.
    The o-rings are buna, so silicone grease works great. I'll order some Nyogel, now I'm intrigued...

Could someone help me get in contact with Fraz?

I've sent many PM but can't seem to get any response. It's been months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post
    Could someone help me get in contact with Fraz?

I've sent many PM but can't seem to get any response. It's been months.
    Sorry about that, looks like my last response was on 1/19 (pretty hectic here and there are several I still need to get back to). We had to wait a bit for the LED you requested to arrive. Your items are shipped, but there is no tracking. I'll try and get to my PMs tonight and I apologize to those I haven't responded to yet.

Sorry about that, looks like my last response was on 1/19 (pretty hectic here and there are several I still need to get back to). We had to wait a bit for the LED you requested to arrive. Your items are shipped, but there is no tracking. I'll try and get to my PMs tonight and I apologize to those I haven't responded to yet.
    Thanks. It was more for me to look out when things would arrive as shipping has been a bit slow around here.
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Are any of the Tiny Nuget 18650 and 18350 lights still available? Thank you

Enlightened

Well, we had over half a foot of snow dumped on our heads last night so I thought I'd get a neat photo - can you tell I am out of my element?

I tried again with a little more success, but we are supposed to get another half a foot tomorrow and I'm hoping we can take a road trip to the park down the street and get some really cool shots/videos for everyone. So far, the light is snow-proof (unlike my boots). I hope everyone is staying warm and trying to make the best of all this COLD!! Also, the super-moonlight mode makes a great tail stand room illuminator during the rolling blackouts, in case you live anywhere from Montana to the Gulf...

Up here in Connecticutís wild winter, Iíve thrown and buried my TTank in snow drifts many times. Itís a real ice breaker, too. Iím doing research into how deep I can hurl it into snow piles and still see a glow... Good luck with your storms - hope all your southern plants arenít killed off by this.

Stay safe, y'all . 18g Argentium 935 silver springs. Custom wound and destressed by Diversified Spring Technologies (Santa Fe Springs, CA) for a past project. Trying to lower those ohms...

Quote Originally Posted by discoverEDC View Post
    You could put an aluminum or copper shim underneath the emitter.
    Considered that. May go that route. The CULPM1.TG is essentially neutered without its hotspot.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    Stay safe, y'all . 18g Argentium 935 silver springs. Custom wound and destressed by Diversified Spring Technologies (Santa Fe Springs, CA) for a past project. Trying to lower those ohms...
    The Lumenite should be able to handle the heat from a couple more amps of current...very interesting.

has anybody figured how to add a lanyard loop or keychain loop the the tiny tank/nugget? want to carry it on my belt and havent been able to come up with a solution yet. (and yes, i've seen post #764 haha)

Fraz/Spec.... What type of lens is in the tiny nugget. I have somehow managed to scratch it up pretty good and want to replace it in the near future. I have not tried to remove it yet and measure. Just figured I would ask first.

Flashaholic

Fraz/Spec.... What type of lens is in the tiny nugget. I have somehow managed to scratch it up pretty good and want to replace it in the near future. I have not tried to remove it yet and measure. Just figured I would ask first.
    It's a 26 mm optic, Fraz or speck will have to add any additional details. If you haven't switched optics before be careful to only touch the rim/lip or use some disposable gloves. It's very easy to put finger prints on the optic and fully cleaning them is difficult. Things smear and you are not supposed to use rubbing alcohol on them
    Last edited by discoverEDC; 02-25-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtechl View Post
    has anybody figured how to add a lanyard loop or keychain loop the the tiny tank/nugget? want to carry it on my belt and havent been able to come up with a solution yet. (and yes, i've seen post #764 haha)
    I would use a double constrictor knot thinnest part of the body

Ya thatís what I use. He stated that he saw that post. Heís looking for something else.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Pardon if this has been asked before, but 31 pages is alot to go through 😏. Between the 21700/18650 Tiny nugget and the Luminite of same cell size, what is the difference besides physical size? More lumens or different beam pattern?

How much more run time comes from the larger 21700 as I've not run these before?

I'm in for one ASAP!!!!
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    Pardon if this has been asked before, but 31 pages is alot to go through . Between the 21700/18650 Tiny nugget and the Luminite of same cell size, what is the difference besides physical size? More lumens or different beam pattern?

How much more run time comes from the larger 21700 as I've not run these before?

I'm in for one ASAP!!!!
    The Lumenite has a larger diameter optic, therefore a different beam pattern. More throw IIRC.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by jtechl View Post
    I did a full wrap on mine (Tiny Nugget 18500) at the thinnest part of the battery tube, but there are several other options that look really neat if you've got some time to sacrifice to the google. I had no idea half those knots existed, and now I want to make them all...

They are Carclo Optics, size 26.5mm. Lots of options as far as beam patterns are concerned, but they come 'pre-scratched', as LEDsupply puts them all in the same bag. DiscoverEDC is correct, be careful when replacing that you don't get fingerprints all over or you'll have a surprise when you have it on ultra low!

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    Pardon if this has been asked before, but 31 pages is alot to go through . Between the 21700/18650 Tiny nugget and the Luminite of same cell size, what is the difference besides physical size? More lumens or different beam pattern?

I'm in for one ASAP!!!!
    Jabe1 is right, the Lumenite uses a larger optic so there's more throw than the Tiny Nugget/Tiny Tank. The 21700 battery has 5000mAh versus the 18650 being 3000mAh-ish, so there's a considerable difference for the slightly larger size. Fraz loves the 21700 and has used it for weeks on end without recharging - we use our lights all the time.

We had a bit of a weather/pet delay getting to the shop, but are headed back tomorrow for a week of machining so a new batch will be ready in around a week!
    Last edited by speckacuda; 02-28-2021 at 06:24 PM.

I just got in a Tiny Nugget 18650, and I am really enjoying it. The Samsung 351D emitter at 4000k is a great pleasure too. Thank you, Fraz and Speckacuda!

Just wanted to share that I ended up going with this loop: http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com...loop-wrap.html

hope it helps someone!

was also wondering if maybe you guys would someday release a spacer with a lanyard hole that would fit between the body and the bezel (underneath the oring)

still waiting for 18650 tiny tank tubes! let me know when there are ones available!
    Last edited by jtechl; 03-02-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212425262728293031