Wuben        
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1316171819202122232425262728293033 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Default Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Not sure if this is an answered question; I see the lumenite can run a 26350 battery, can it also use a 26650?
    Last edited by jabe1; 12-20-2020 at 12:13 AM.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    Not sure if this is an answered question; I see the luminaire can run a 26350 battery, can it also use a 26650?
    26350 is 35.0mm long 26mm diameter.
    26650 is 65.0mm long 26mm diameter.
    So I would say no. Unless you get an extension tube. (If they make it.)

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Can someone post a few pics of these next to some other familiar lights?
    Malkoff MD2 | ZebraLight SC700d | Lumenite 21700 | HDS Rotary 18650

First impressions of the 21700: Dense. Solid. Work in progress. Perfect for general household duty according to all members of the household.

1. Appeared to be some debris under the optic. Isopropyl 91 and a foam swab cleaned everything right up. NOTE: Gaggione only recommends an optical duster and purified water for cleansing.

2. 7.5 light levels based on the alignment of the machined grooves. As in light is emitted across 7.5 grooves.

3. Can envision a second o-ring at the head as the existing o-ring tends to draw debris inwards during repeated use. Limited number of threads and increased turning resistance may present obstacles.

4. Would have preferred a softer radius across the bezel versus a chamfer.

5. Minor machining marks add character and definition

6. Instructions as to how to properly replace the LED board not yet available.

7. The presoaked fabric is interesting. I prepped the lip of the battery tube with NO-OX-ID instead.

This particular unit was supplied with an LH351D 4K (I believe). It does match up well with the ZebraLight SC64c LE in terms of tint. Definitely out throws the smaller SC64c LE with a soft, collimated beam.
    IMO, the beauty of this light is not what it is, but rather what it can be. From a LH351D 4K to a XHP50.2 3v and back without having to reflow anything. Still waiting on Gaggione to get back to me on whether their optics are UV stabilized and UV transmissive, which would open the doors to UV applications. One host, multiple uses.
    Last edited by adamlau; 12-19-2020 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post

Iím well aware of that. I saw that 21700 or 26350 would fit. Are these different battery tubes?

Thanks, Adamlau!
    Last edited by jabe1; 12-19-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Fraz, do you happen to recall what emitter/*K went into my Lumenite? It was the very first one that you offered in this thread when you rebooted these lights.
    I don't remember the exact one, but I think it was an SST20. I have used either SST20, SST40, XP-L2, XM-L2, or Samsung 351D in all of these lights.

I never should have started reading this. I remember when you first were working on the idea. This is my kind of light. A nice lump of metal with a battery and led.

Can someone post a few pics of these next to some other familiar lights?

I would like to be in on one, especially with a Lh351d. Iím just indecisive about which one.
    We're just about to go in and machine more. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about them. I'll also continue to gradually update the OP as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I just got my Lumenite. Iím very impressed.

Thereís not too much I can say thatís already been said. I appreciate the smoothness, the cigar grip body, and the overall robust feeling.

This light just begs to be used hard.

Iíd also like a high CRI LH351D 5000K, perhaps in something smaller like 18650.
    Glad you like it so far! The 18650 Tiny Nuggets are definitely noticeably smaller than the Lumenite.

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Scroll back like 2 pages depending on what platform you are on.
    Thank you

Not sure if this is an answered question; I see the luminaire can run a 26350 battery, can it also use a 26650?
    Not currently. The Lumenite can run 18650 and 21700....there are plans for 26 series, but it is still in design stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post

Correct. Currently the Tiny Nugget runs 18350, 18500, 18650, and soon 21700....all different battery tube options that interchange with the engine.

The Lumenite runs an 18650 tube and a 21700 tube.

I didnít do the math, but... whatís the lowest you can drain a CR123 primary down to in the 18350 light? And what would be the best LED for it, SST20 with the low Vf?

I have so many half dead CR123s...
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    First impressions of the 21700: Dense. Solid. Work in progress. Perfect for general household duty according to all members of the household.

1. Appeared to be some debris under the optic. Isopropyl 91 and a foam swab cleaned everything right up.

2. 7.5 light levels based on the alignment of the machined grooves. As in light is emitted across 7.5 grooves.

3. Can envision a second o-ring at the head as the existing o-ring tends to draw debris inwards during repeated use. Limited number of threads and increased turning resistance may present obstacles.

4. Would have preferred a softer radius across the bezel versus a chamfer.

5. Minor machining marks add character and definition

6. Instructions as to how to properly open up the head and replace the LED board not yet available.

7. The presoaked fabric is interesting. I prepped the lip of the battery tube with NO-OX-ID instead.

This particular unit was supplied with an LH351D 4K (I believe). It does match up well with the ZebraLight SC64c LE in terms of tint. Definitely out throws the smaller SC64c LE with a soft, collimated beam.
    IMO, the beauty of this light is not what it is, but rather what it can be. From a LH351D 4K to a XHP50.2 3v and back without having to reflow anything. Still waiting on Gaggione to get back to me on whether their optics are UV stabilized and UV transmissive, which would open the doors to UV applications. One host, multiple uses.
    That is a good summary so far - we definitely aim for the Lumenite to be a workhorse light. With the big capacity of the 21700 it's definitely the one I use around the house (I use the Tiny Nuggets for EDC or dimmer stuff usually). Thanks so much for the feedback! I love getting it from anyone/everyone as it is invaluable in shop trips. Like you said, it's a work in progress that we try to improve upon every single trip to the shop. That said, I'll see if I can address these points.

1) Yes, unfortunately I order these optics in small enough batches that they are sometimes bagged together. They are so clear that any dust shows up bigtime, especially on very low light levels. Also the silicone grease applied to the optic o-ring can sometimes show. I will try to be more careful about getting the optic as clear as I can.

2) Glad you noticed the grooves! We were going for an aesthetic sort of 'volume bar' look. However, it should allow infinite brightness levels as the QTC behaves in a linear way during compression.

3) I've thought about a 2nd o-ring on the battery tube end (the twisting o-ring) to get the light to a very deep water rating. That o-ring is particularly problematic in getting it tight enough to be very waterproof and loose enough that it is relatively easy to twist. The o-ring used is beefier than most and so far I have't had any dust or debris incursion in any of my EDCs I've had over the last couple years. The dust will get up to the 0-ring, but so far not past it into the engine side. I will definitely test it out with a tumbler in dust/dirt/gravel though. New torture test! Thanks, that is one we haven't done before.

4) We can definitely try some of those out.

5) I agree ....although we try to smooth more and more of those out every time.

6) I have started making a video on that. When I get back home I'll set aside some time to edit it.

7) The stuff on that rag is Break Free CLP (gun cleaner you can get at WalMart or Amazon). We found in the old units that stuff had a viscosity that kept it from running up the piston too much (in some of the older lights we had some oils run up the piston and gum up the QTC). Although that doesn't seem to be a problem with these newer engines. I'm not familiar with NO-OX-ID...I'll have to try it out.

Yes, yours has a 351D in it - I have really grown to love the beam those have. Especially with the Tiny Nuggets. The Lumenites will eat most any emitter, but the Tiny Nuggets are a bit more finicky on beam pattern.

Most of our energy is currently going into improving the wireless design (making LED exchange easier - especially with store bought boards) and shrinking the footprints of both lights in general. I can do an LED swap in less than a minute now (it'll probably take someone 3 or so the first try but greatly decrease after that...especially with video instructions), but I'd like to get it down to 10 or 15 seconds.

Any plans to develop acomodations for a lens? Bandpasss filters (UV and/or color photography) and mule use come to mind...
    lol...I am already imagining the upgrade market for these lights: SS bezel for increased durability, crenellated bezel, bezel with trit slots, etc ...
    Last edited by adamlau; 12-20-2020 at 12:17 AM.

I didnít do the math, but... whatís the lowest you can drain a CR123 primary down to in the 18350 light? And what would be the best LED for it, SST20 with the low Vf?

I have so many half dead CR123s...
    I haven't done that math yet on that either. I have to buy some CR123s and do some field research next time I go to the store....

I imagine most of the LEDs used in these lights would work fairly well with their low Vf, but yes SST20 in particular. I'm interested to try out some XM-L3s if I can ever find one less than 5700K.

Enlightened

... This light just begs to be used hard...
    This quote right here is what I envision for our flashlights! I'm more of a "use it up, wear it out" type of girl who's always been enamored with antique and vintage tools. I love that every light I make is capable of outliving me. These are meant to be used - my parents have one of our first lights (far before wireless and single-piston designs) and they use it twice a day, every day to feed cattle. I love the way it looks after all these years, worn but still working hard, and I foresee many more years of chores in its future.

Quote Originally Posted by speckacuda View Post
    This quote right here is what I envision for our flashlights! I'm more of a "use it up, wear it out" type of girl who's always been enamored with antique and vintage tools. I love that every light I make is capable of outliving me. These are meant to be used - my parents have one of our first lights (far before wireless and single-piston designs) and they use it twice a day, every day to feed cattle. I love the way it looks after all these years, worn but still working hard, and I foresee many more years of chores in its future.
    Well Iím not too much of a hard user these days (hopefully that will change again soon) but I especially love when expensive custom work shows hard use. Something built with love and care and extremely consciously, owned by someone who appreciated it and treated it fairly, but didnít save it from any wear.

Thereís just not as much romance in factory churned out stuff.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Any plans to develop acomodations for a lens? Bandpasss filters (UV and/or color photography) and mule use come to mind...
    lol...I am already imagining the upgrade market for these lights: SS bezel for increased durability, crenellated bezel, bezel with trit slots, etc ...
    Indeed, we just ordered some new optics to try out. So far all the optic shelves are machined specifically for the optic (or optic series) that is used in that particular light. But I would like to have more options in the future....there are some very nifty optic options available now I've noticed.

I agree on the upgrade market . And we'd also like every component in the light to be easily replaceable (and pretty much all are right now). In the (hopefully very very unlikely) event something wears out or breaks, it needs to be about a 5 minute or less fix in my opinion.

Enlightened

Malkoff MD2 | ZebraLight SC700d | Lumenite 21700 | HDS Rotary 18650
    Now THAT is a sexy lineup of flashlights! I also love the way you've done the lanyards, I've been working on one for my personal Tiny Nugget and y'all have given me some great ideas. As for the graduated milling marks, I picked 20 for the Lumenite (and 15 for the Tiny Nugget / Tiny Tank because 20 looked too crowded) mainly because I like multiples of five. You can also see that in the earlier, more minimal models with only five milling marks. No correlation between those and brightness, but we are still working on what is the right amount of grip that's still minimal. I'm trying to live by my motto for this project : most complicated extremely simple flashlight, and so far it's working...

Also, sorry for any odd machining marks - I'm still working out feeds and speeds with the tooling and machine we are using!

Since most folks liked my last photo of raw-to-ready parts, I thought I'd include a photo of an 'exploded view' of a light. You can see what we make versus what we don't in this photo, as well as how few parts there are in general. One day I'll make time to create a rough timeline of the evolution, which has been quite a wild ride.

Last edited by speckacuda; 12-20-2020 at 02:12 AM.

Qtc storage! And extra qtc!

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Qtc storage! And extra qtc!
    On our wish/CAD/CAM list

Flashaholic*

Never. Ever. Apologize for the machining marks on these lights. It screams ďif you mark it up itíll be fineĒ as subtle as they are it really doesnít hurt the look. I donít mine them at all. Kind of like the old mismatched anodizing on surefire lights. Iím sure some hate it but it just looks good to me. You all have done a good job of making a hard use tool look great as well. I let my 2 year old throw mine through the house like a baseball for hours yesterday. It passed that test haha.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Well Iím not too much of a hard user these days (hopefully that will change again soon) but I especially love when expensive custom work shows hard use. Something built with love and care and extremely consciously, owned by someone who appreciated it and treated it fairly, but didnít save it from any wear.

Thereís just not as much romance in factory churned out stuff.
    This.

I have tried to explain this feeling numerous times here and on a knife forum to people who ask ďis it xyz worth it?Ē Well, to me it is, because custom/small batch/hand built items are more than the sum of their parts. It is as much about the people and stories and passion in the tool as it is about the metal and wires. But I have learned that either people value that or they donít. Thereís a thread right now that illustrates that very point. We shouldnít judge those who donít value these things but neither should they ridicule people who do, assuming they are just posers or show-offs or some nonsense.

Flashaholic*

The Fraz website shows out of stock for everything. Is there a waitlist? How would I order one of their lights? Hope Iím not missing something...

Post what you want here and Fraz will add you to the build list.

Fraz,
    Please consider making battery spacers/adapters for use in the larger bodied lights.
    Delrin maybe?
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

Post what you want here and Fraz will add you to the build list.
    Thanks, will do.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
    The Fraz website shows out of stock for everything. Is there a waitlist? How would I order one of their lights? Hope Iím not missing something...
    Sorry for the frustration on the out of stock notifications on the site; We manufacture most of the parts ourselves in small batches and Christmas has thrown off our tempo a bit. We are headed to the shop in a few days and will have more available in a couple weeks. Nbp is correct (thank you!), just mention what you'd like and we'll do our best to make it happen.

This.

I have tried to explain this feeling numerous times here and on a knife forum to people who ask ďis it xyz worth it?Ē Well, to me it is, because custom/small batch/hand built items are more than the sum of their parts. It is as much about the people and stories and passion in the tool as it is about the metal and wires. But I have learned that either people value that or they donít. Thereís a thread right now that illustrates that very point. We shouldnít judge those who donít value these things but neither should they ridicule people who do, assuming they are just posers or show-offs or some nonsense.
    I agree 100% with this entire post!

Fraz,
    Please consider making battery spacers/adapters for use in the larger bodied lights.
    Delrin maybe?
    We can do this, but they'll probably be 3d printed at first (also, I plan on making a page on our website where folks could download the STL files, just in case someone has a 3D printer and needs a spacer ASAP). Most of our machining time is dedicated to light bodies/parts, so until we catch that up a bit I can sling out all you want with ABS filament while we make other stuff.

I also wanted to say how cool it is that you have a female machinist on your team. Welcome speckacuda! (is that handle Plymouth related?) Sometimes hobbyist forums like this can be kind of a bro party, so itís really awesome to see talented ladies showing off their skills. Keep up the great work!

Iím in for a tiny nugget 18650 Lh351d! 😁
    Will additional bodies be available?
    Last edited by jabe1; 12-21-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    -- Albert Einstein

I also wanted to say how cool it is that you have a female machinist on your team. Welcome speckacuda! (is that handle Plymouth related?) Sometimes hobbyist forums like this can be kind of a bro party, so itís really awesome to see talented ladies showing off their skills. Keep up the great work!
    I certainly agree! And I couldn't do it without her (although she is scared to death of the CNC lathe....as most reasonable people are). We have female machinists come across us all the time that think it's 'impossible' and Speck whips their thinking into shape.

Here she is repairing our initial lathe:

And on her initial (and our) mill breaking in...
    I'm sure you machinists will appreciate the leafblower...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    I certainly agree! And I couldn't do it without her (although she is scared to death of the CNC lathe....as most reasonable people are). We have female machinists come across us all the time that think it's 'impossible' and Speck whips their thinking into shape.

Here she is repairing our initial lathe:

And on her initial (and our) mill breaking in...
    I'm sure you machinists will appreciate the leafblower...
    *Cringe* By the way, these were a long time ago.

Why are the pics that everyone posts corrupt?.. Or is it just me.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Since most folks liked my last photo of raw-to-ready parts, I thought I'd include a photo of an 'exploded view' of a light.
    Superb. Very intimate

It is as much about the people and stories and passion in the tool as it is about the metal and wires. But I have learned that either people value that or they donít. Thereís a thread right now that illustrates that very point.
    lol...More than a few of those circular discussions over the years

We can do [battery spacers/adapters], but they'll probably be 3d printed at first...
    Looking forwards to dual fuel compatibility. 1xCR123a + 1xCR123a dummy + stack of o-rings work when fully tightened Nice, clean shop you folks have there!

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1316171819202122232425262728293033 ... LastLast