Wuben        
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Default Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Quote Originally Posted by pilo7448 View Post
    Why are the pics that everyone posts corrupt?.. Or is it just me.
    No issues here. Perhaps a browser extension blocking assets?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by speckacuda View Post
    Sorry for the frustration on the out of stock notifications on the site; We manufacture most of the parts ourselves in small batches and Christmas has thrown off our tempo a bit. We are headed to the shop in a few days and will have more available in a couple weeks. Nbp is correct (thank you!), just mention what you'd like and we'll do our best to make it happen.

I agree 100% with this entire post!

We can do this, but they'll probably be 3d printed at first (also, I plan on making a page on our website where folks could download the STL files, just in case someone has a 3D printer and needs a spacer ASAP). Most of our machining time is dedicated to light bodies/parts, so until we catch that up a bit I can sling out all you want with ABS filament while we make other stuff.
    Thanks for the reply and info - good luck to your Lab and getting through production hell!

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    I never should have started reading this. I remember when you first were working on the idea. This is my kind of light. A nice lump of metal with a battery and led.

Can someone post a few pics of these next to some other familiar lights?

I would like to be in on one, especially with a Lh351d. Im just indecisive about which one.

I posted a few pictures with it next to some lights. What are you specifically looking for? Let me know.. I might have a light here that you want to see it next to.

Thanks much, but I've already decided to lighten my wallet. I tend towards pocket-able lights, but I can't pass on these. 18650 Tiny Nugget it is, and hopefully a 18350 battery tube too!
    I'm a form follows function type and this fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    I posted a few pictures with it next to some lights. What are you specifically looking for? Let me know.. I might have a light here that you want to see it next to.
    Last edited by jabe1; 12-24-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5429962

Already been covered, but those low low lows get seriously low.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I also wanted to say how cool it is that you have a female machinist on your team. Welcome speckacuda! (is that handle Plymouth related?) Sometimes hobbyist forums like this can be kind of a bro party, so its really awesome to see talented ladies showing off their skills. Keep up the great work!
    Thank you, but I'm not sure I have skills yet! We've only been on this rollercoaster of machining things ourselves for a little over two years, so I still have a LOT to learn. Now, if you're talking about my awesome Redneck Engineering skills handed down to me (as you can see in the videos Fraz posted), I will humbly accept those kind words and would like to say thanks for the warm welcome. Also, as much as I loved Nash Bridges, it's not related to the car!

Quote Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
    Thanks for the reply and info - good luck to your Lab and getting through production hell!
    It's almost like you've been in production before Christmas yourself... I am certain this season is why cheap bourbon was invented!

Thanks much, but I've already decided to lighten my wallet. I tend towards pocket-able lights, but I can't pass on these. 18650 it is, and hopefully a 18350 battery tube too!<br>
    I'm a form follows function type and this fits the bill.
    We've got ya on the list - it won't be long before we have a few more available, and one of us will send you a message letting you know it's ready for purchase.

FYI, the 21700 works great with a 114/115 or 207/208 o-ring bumper at the negative ala Malkoff/Oveready to help protect the cell.

Flashaholic

It's been a long time since I posted to CPF. I remember the original thread back in the day. Congratulations on the milling machine (and operator) and refined design. I'll take a Tiny Tank in 18500. If you have any 3000k emitters available I'll take one in any flavor. Otherwise I will be ordering a XPL HI. Regards, Walt. I'm not sure how well I will notice any PM's so I will send the same message via your product webpage so that you can get my email address. Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by discoverEDC; 12-24-2020 at 12:58 AM.

what is the LED on the Tiny nugget? XPL on a 16mm MPCB? I was thinking of getting some Neutral White option to switch on mine. It seems to be too cool white for me.

Could I use only use XPL based on voltage and current provided by the QTC and battery?
    What is the current being use on this led since its a QTC?

Might replace with this:
    CREE XP-L V6 3D LED on Noctigon XP16 V2 MCPCB
    Approximated light output:
    735lumens @ 1.5A 25C
    1226lumens @ 3A 25C
    Color temperature: 4750-5000K
    Tint: Neutral White

https://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-xp...v6-3d-led.html
    Last edited by Bruno28; 12-28-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Im pretty sure that it depends on what the led will draw and what the battery is capable of delivering.
    basically direct drive, with the QTC serving as a variable resistor.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic

Take the QTC out and put the piston back in for "true" direct drive. There's some resistance in the springs to limit some of the current but the light will start to get hot. You'll be fine with the QTC in place.

Quote Originally Posted by discoverEDC View Post
    It's been a long time since I posted to CPF. I remember the original thread back in the day. Congratulations on the milling machine (and operator) and refined design. I'll take a Tiny Tank in 18500. If you have any 3000k emitters available I'll take one in any flavor. Otherwise I will be ordering a XPL HI. Regards, Walt. I'm not sure how well I will notice any PM's so I will send the same message via your product webpage so that you can get my email address. Merry Christmas!
    Thank you ! It's definitely been a long time getting here and we continue to have plenty of room for improvement, but it's coming along.....and we're determined and stubborn (two good qualities most of the time I think). We do have one, and I'll put your name on it. We don't have any 3k, but we do have 4k. Or I can order some 3k if you don't mind a little longer wait. Thanks Walt!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post
    what is the LED on the Tiny nugget? XPL on a 16mm MPCB? I was thinking of getting some Neutral White option to switch on mine. It seems to be too cool white for me.

Could I use only use XPL based on voltage and current provided by the QTC and battery?
    What is the current being use on this led since its a QTC?

Might replace with this:
    CREE XP-L V6 3D LED on Noctigon XP16 V2 MCPCB
    Approximated light output:
    735lumens @ 1.5A 25C
    1226lumens @ 3A 25C
    Color temperature: 4750-5000K
    Tint: Neutral White

https://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-xp...v6-3d-led.html
    I'm not sure which emitter is in your light. It is either an SST40, SST20, Samgsung 351, or XP-L2. All of them work in these designs. That emitter you listed will be fine. Any of the modern LEDs will work with the forward voltage and built-in resistance of the system. I try to get as low forward voltage as possible generally.

Im pretty sure that it depends on what the led will draw and what the battery is capable of delivering.
    basically direct drive, with the QTC serving as a variable resistor.
    Correct, it is regulated by the QTC until full-compression where it goes into direct drive. There, it can pull anywhere between 2-4A depending on the emitter and battery (mostly the battery), but intentionally stops at around 4A to avoid a runaway. We're tinkering now with some hotter models that can really let some stuff like the SST40 eat.

Quote Originally Posted by geisto View Post
    Take the QTC out and put the piston back in for "true" direct drive. There's some resistance in the springs to limit some of the current but the light will start to get hot. You'll be fine with the QTC in place.
    Nailed it . One of the reason the lights are as beefy as they are is to help with heat dissipation in this direct-drive kind of setup. With somewhere between 1-1.5k lumens as the goal so as to not get the light inferno hot if left on a table unattended for hours. And it will still get very hot, but not burn-your-hand hot.

Default Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

My Adopted FrazLabs family from top to bottom: Luminlite 21700, Tiny Tank 18650, Blaster 18500, and Tiny Nugget 18350

Next to some familiars for comparison
    Control

Tiny Nugget 18350

Blaster 18500

Tiny Tank 18650

Luminlite 21700

This is my daily mailbox walk, happens to be a much longer walk when there is a package from FrazLabs. I took all four along for the comparison shots. All had fresh batteries from Fraz, and i did not move my feet from beginning to end.
    The first big branch over the trail is 40. The lite green bush pushing in from R is 115. The next bush pushing in from right is 150. The end of the tunnel is 185.

Seems to me the blaster and tank are just a bit more output than nugget, and luminite is a farther tighter beam. Ill have to look up the LEDS to be sure, but i think all are sst, except for the XPL Luminlite.
    Last edited by ScapegoatUmi; 12-29-2020 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScapegoatUmi View Post

My Adopted FrazLabs family from top to bottom: Luminlite 21700, Tiny Tank 18650, Blaster 18500, and Tiny Nugget 18350

Next to some familiars for comparison
    Control

Tiny Nugget 18350

Blaster 18500

Tiny Tank 18650

Luminlite 21700

This is my daily mailbox walk, happens to be a much longer walk when there is a package from FrazLabs. I took all four along for the comparison shots. All had fresh batteries from Fraz, and i did not move my feet from beginning to end.
    The first big branch over the trail is 40. The lite green bush pushing in from R is 115. The next bush pushing in from right is 150. The end of the tunnel is 185.

Seems to me the blaster and tank are just a bit more output than nugget, and luminite is a farther tighter beam. Ill have to look up the LEDS to be sure, but i think all are sst, except for the XPL Luminlite.
    The Blaster looks so much more lumens than the tiny nugget. How is that possible?
    The diodes must be different. Can you fins out which one The tiny nugget and the blaster has?

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Default Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

......I have an STL of a magnetic mount I 3D printed, it's still a bit of a work in progress but I'd be happy to share once I get it all hammered out....

Thank you!!
    I would like that a lot [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ScapegoatUmi; 12-29-2020 at 06:38 AM.

The Blaster looks so much more lumens than the tiny nugget. How is that possible?
    The diodes must be different. Can you fins out which one The tiny nugget and the blaster has?

I will open them up and get back to you.

I may also not be getting full power on the 18350. I put many aluminum shims under the piston, but still have to go as tight as it gets. Ill try adding more shims as well

I will open them up and get back to you.

I may also not be getting full power on the 18350. I put many aluminum shims under the piston, but still have to go as tight as it gets. Ill try adding more shims as well

Ok please do.

Why do you need aluminium shims?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    Thank you ! It's definitely been a long time getting here and we continue to have plenty of room for improvement, but it's coming along.....and we're determined and stubborn (two good qualities most of the time I think). We do have one, and I'll put your name on it. We don't have any 3k, but we do have 4k. Or I can order some 3k if you don't mind a little longer wait. Thanks Walt!

I'm not sure which emitter is in your light. It is either an SST40, SST20, Samgsung 351, or XP-L2. All of them work in these designs. That emitter you listed will be fine. Any of the modern LEDs will work with the forward voltage and built-in resistance of the system. I try to get as low forward voltage as possible generally.

Correct, it is regulated by the QTC until full-compression where it goes into direct drive. There, it can pull anywhere between 2-4A depending on the emitter and battery (mostly the battery), but intentionally stops at around 4A to avoid a runaway. We're tinkering now with some hotter models that can really let some stuff like the SST40 eat.
    I'll wait for the 3000k, appreciate you being willing to source it for me. I'll take whatever type you think most appropriate for the light. So a question, will a 53 mm long 18500 work? I've found some protected ICR batteries that are 2,000 mAh and that support 3+ amp draw but they are a bit longer than the typical IMR batteries. I should add that they are button top cells.
    Walt
    Last edited by discoverEDC; 12-29-2020 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Edit

Enlightened

The Blaster has an SST40 in it, which is like a light cannon with an unprotected battery. That thing is BRIGHT.

I would like that a lot [emoji2]
    I'll get it done! Also, I love seeing your collection of our work- thank you! Had to edit to say WOW that old Tiny Nugget. It feels like we haven't made one of those in a decade, but it has only been around a year since the design changed, and a good example of why we are constantly trying to improve (I never could get those milling marks centered ).

I'll wait for the 3000k, appreciate you being willing to source it for me. I'll take whatever type you think most appropriate for the light. So a question, will a 53 mm long 18500 work? I've found some protected ICR batteries that are 2,000 mAh and that support 3+ amp draw but they are a bit longer than the typical IMR batteries. I should add that they are button top cells.
    Walt
    The battery I use in my 18500 Tiny Tank measures out to be around 50mm long, so I think you'll be okay to use a 53mm without an issue.
    Last edited by speckacuda; 12-29-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Enlightened

We've been in the shop since the 26th and should have more lights ready to ship by the end of next week! Here's an "in progress photo" for y'all, and we should have some neat video posted soon.

The Blaster has an SST40 in it, which is like a light cannon with an unprotected battery. That thing is BRIGHT.

The battery I use in my 18500 Tiny Tank measures out to be around 50mm long, so I think you'll be okay to use a 53mm without an issue.
    Thank you for that. So the SST40 is a more lumen output than an xpl?

Flashaholic

The battery I use in my 18500 Tiny Tank measures out to be around 50mm long, so I think you'll be okay to use a 53mm without an issue.[/QUOTE]

Much appreciated. Let me know when you order the 3000k emitter, I'm curious as to what kind you will select.

Flashaholic

Much appreciated. Let me know when you order the 3000k emitter, I'm curious as to what kind you will select.[/QUOTE]
    Could you post a picture of a current build Tiny Tank 18500? I've seen pictures of the 18500 Nugget and Blaster but not the Tank. Thanks in advance!

Enlightened

Thank you for that. So the SST40 is a more lumen output than an xpl?

I have nothing to test this other than my own eyes, but I'd say that the SST40 (in conjunction with a high safe discharge rate and low internal resistance battery) is visually much brighter than an XPL. If I can dig out an XPL when we get back home, I'll take some comparison photos of the two.

Much appreciated. Let me know when you order the 3000k emitter, I'm curious as to what kind you will select.
    Could you post a picture of a current build Tiny Tank 18500? I've seen pictures of the 18500 Nugget and Blaster but not the Tank. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I don't have a photo of the Tiny Tank 18500 with me, they're on a hard drive at home (oopsie). I will gladly post one when we get back. Shipping has been a bit of a nightmare, so I can't give you an estimate on when the emitter will arrive, but I'll keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    ...but intentionally stops at around 4A to avoid a runaway. We're tinkering now with some hotter models that can really let some stuff like the SST40 eat.
    +1 for lower resistance units, particularly with 21700 models where cells such as the P42A/30T/40T can easily handle the total power draw of any 3V emitter currently being premounted and commercially sold on a 16mm. Moar power
    Last edited by adamlau; 12-31-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Great. Thank you.

Flashaholic

Could you post a picture of a current build Tiny Tank 18500? I've seen pictures of the 18500 Nugget and Blaster but not the Tank. Thanks in advance!

I don't have a photo of the Tiny Tank 18500 with me, they're on a hard drive at home (oopsie). I will gladly post one when we get back. Shipping has been a bit of a nightmare, so I can't give you an estimate on when the emitter will arrive, but I'll keep you updated.

I understand about the shipping, I'm still waiting for some overdue items myself. I was just curious about what kind of emitter: XPL, Samsung, SST, etc. Happily standing by for the Tiny Tank 18500 pictures.
    Walt

Ok please do.

Why do you need aluminium shims?

My piston is a little short, so the shims help it give more output. Phil is sending a replacement piston, this is just until it arrives

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast