Wuben        
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1922232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Default Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Is there a particular 18650 that you recommend for the tiny nugget?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    Is there a particular 18650 that you recommend for the tiny nugget?
    As long as it's not longer than 2.57" or so, you should be okay with any of them. We recommend unprotected cells based on the shorter length, but we've made adjustments to the last batch of lights that should be more accommodating to protected cells.

Remember folks: So long as specs and power calcs look good, you can go with nearly anything on the market in terms of emitter choice. I recently powered an SST-10-UV 385nm using 2x18350 in a Lumenite 21700 host as a proof of concept. And have a pair of KW CULPM1.TG incoming from the Convoy storefront off Aliexpress to test. CULPM1.TG DD powered by 1x21700 (Moli P42A) through a 35mm optic? Should be very, very interesting...

Flashaholic*

Do you plan to run the Osram pair together..

What optic pairs duo emitters?

As a single emitter through a single optic. I purchased a pair to be able to confirm batch consistency. And just in case their lot of KW CULPM1.TG sells out, being advertised by Convoy as the third highest flux bin (8RF) available. As a point of reference, Mouser has 7RF available which is specified as 200 lm fewer at 6A.

Just had to share this pic I took last night of my wife using the Lumenite 18650. Terrific light!

Great photo.

Flashaholic*

That’s awesome
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Outstanding shot. Ad-worthy right there

Which LED is that? There is a distinct tint shift in the spill.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    Outstanding shot. Ad-worthy right there
    Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    Which LED is that? There is a distinct tint shift in the spill.
    Sst20 ? Looks like. Just a guess

Is there an estimate on when the lights that were offered for sale last week will ship?

Remember folks: So long as specs and power calcs look good, you can go with nearly anything on the market in terms of emitter choice. I recently powered an SST-10-UV 385nm using 2x18350 in a Lumenite 21700 host as a proof of concept. And have a pair of KW CULPM1.TG incoming from the Convoy storefront off Aliexpress to test. CULPM1.TG DD powered by 1x21700 (Moli P42A) through a 35mm optic? Should be very, very interesting...
    This is correct in that most modern emitters on 16mm MCPCBs will work. I generally don't recommend multiple cells however (as cell charge imbalance can cause catastrophic failure with lack of protection circuitry - also high Voltage mismatch can fry the LED even at extremely low amperage). We're just now getting into looking at some single-cell higher voltage options...

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo30 View Post
    Just had to share this pic I took last night of my wife using the Lumenite 18650. Terrific light!

Love this pic.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstyle View Post
    Is there an estimate on when the lights that were offered for sale last week will ship?
    All are shipping tomorrow. We're getting around to PMing CPF members with requests tonight, and there will likely be a few more on the website late tonight.

Also, there are a couple lights I'll probably offer in this thread here in a bit (have a flood-based not-quite-a-mule optic option that we haven't done before).

Flashaholic

So I know my projected delivery date and yet I find myself refreshing the tracking page 😆

Flashaholic

Fraz or speckacuda, on your updated website I see some hard dimensions for maximum recommend battery length. We just need a max dimension for 18500 please 👍 Watching the tracking like a hawk 🙂

Flashaholic

Fraz, looking for that emitter swap video please 👍

I’d like to get one. Either the 23650 or the 18650. Boulder, Colorado

Flashaholic

My Tiny Tank 18500 arrived today. It lives up to it's name, it's a tank. Just a solid chunk of aluminum nicely machined. It makes my other lights seem flimsy. The milled flutes make for good grip. Very, very nice.

@discoverEDC You know the deal: Pics or it didn't happen . You have a PM ...

Flashaholic

@discoverEDC You know the deal: Pics or it didn't happen . You have a PM ...
    LOL, it's been a LONG time since I posted any pictures to the forum. I'm not sure I would even know how. PM sent.
    Last edited by discoverEDC; 01-29-2021 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by discoverEDC View Post
    Fraz, looking for that emitter swap video please 
    Sorry, I promise I'll get on it - I get so distracted at the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ipaulr View Post
    I’d like to get one. Either the 23650 or the 18650. Boulder, Colorado
    Got you down.

Quote Originally Posted by discoverEDC View Post
    My Tiny Tank 18500 arrived today. It lives up to it's name, it's a tank. Just a solid chunk of aluminum nicely machined. It makes my other lights seem flimsy. The milled flutes make for good grip. Very, very nice.
    Hope you like it! How do you like the LED? It is definitely warm (seemingly a bit less bright than the cooler ones). You also got a slightly frosted optic to spread the beam evenly.

Been using my 18350 tiny tank almost every day now. She’s a solid little light that’s for sure.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    Sorry, I promise I'll get on it - I get so distracted at the shop. Got you down.Hope you like it! How do you like the LED? It is definitely warm (seemingly a bit less bright than the cooler ones). You also got a slightly frosted optic to spread the beam evenly.
    The warm emitters pay an output penalty because of how thick the phosphore has to be to get the very warm color temperature. 3500k was the warmest that you had on hand but I ordered several 3000k MCPCB's and will be trying them out; one of those will likely stay in the light. Unfortunately I couldn't find any Samsung's in that color temperature (yet). The light frost optic made a nice beam pattern with the 3500k SST20. I'm also going to try a clear spot optic with a bit of DC Fix diffuser film in the center. I tried that with one of my 26mm optic lights and it knocked down the square artifact and still left a some throw.
    Last edited by discoverEDC; 01-30-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Just got my 18500 Tiny Nugget. This is about as bomb proof of a light as you can get. I love it. The box is awesome too! What a super deal!

I would love to see an emitter swap video also. I have been carrying my 18650 tiny nugget every day as my main light. Such a great well built light. I definitely want to pick up more. I also would love to have an 18350 battery tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    I would love to see an emitter swap video also. I have been carrying my 18650 tiny nugget every day as my main light. Such a great well built light. I definitely want to pick up more. I also would love to have an 18350 battery tube.
    Extra tubes would be great. I want a 21700...

Another great thing about this light is the mass keeps it from getting to hot to hold on max output.

The only negative I have found is for me it takes two hands to turn it on/off.

BTW the run time in loooong

Glad you guys are enjoying! At the shop making more as I type this....as seen below a pic of the lathe making part of the piston assembly (one of my least favorite things to make). Thought about taking a sneak pic of Speck on the mill, but she'd probably kill me.

Also working on making them a bit easier to turn while still being very waterproof.

I'll work on that vid (LED change-out) too. As soon as I get the machines on a long op, I can put some of it together.

Very nice! Keep on turning.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1922232425262728293031323334 LastLast