Angryfox        
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Default Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    has output been discussed? 18650........
    from off to full on, 270 degrees of twist...?
    I haven't been able to test actual output with a sphere yet. The old models were tested to 1060 lumens out the front I believe. And these new models are all noticeably brighter. I have a youtube video testing the Lumenite vs a lot of other known lights on my channel listed at the top of this thread. And judging by the beamshot nbp took of the Lumenite vs a 2000 lumen light, it's definitely decently north of 1k lumens.

The twist will vary as the QTC ages, but it is a smooth ramping that is very intuitive by feel.

-Fraz

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    That looks like my light  no? 
    Yessir . PM sent to make sure I'm bundling your order correctly.

Some of the manufacturing processes that go into the lights...

Now THAT is a video! Big E and the 18650 at the end I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    Now THAT is a video! Big E and the 18650 at the end I believe?

Thanks sled! Tiny Nugget 18350 and Lumenite 26350.

A lot of cursing went into the making of this video. Especially with the cutoff tool and boring bar.

-Fraz

Thanks for the clarification....I have 2 strikes Looking forward to getting one of these lights! Leaning towards an 18650....4000k

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    Thanks for the clarification....I have 2 strikes Looking forward to getting one of these lights! Leaning towards an 18650....4000k
    No strikes warranted. They all look very similar at those speeds lol. I'll put you on the list! I'm putting together more detailed info to add to the top posts that can help with your decision. My personal favorite is the Lumenite in either 26350 or 18650.

-Fraz

US made, infinitely variable, minimalistic, no electronics. Put me on the list for a 18350, please.

Gonna be that guy who, very prematurely, asks for a tiny, impossible to make, 14500 model, even before you reach full production of existing models.

Absolutely amazing how quickly these are machined!! Betcha ya turn a few hundred a day...huh??!!

Karl

18350!! PLEASE!
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Absolutely amazing how quickly these are machined!! Betcha ya turn a few hundred a day...huh??!!

Karl
    Ha! If I ever saw the lathe move that fast I'd break a knuckle on the e-stop and then change my shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by nightshade View Post
    US made, infinitely variable, minimalistic, no electronics. Put me on the list for a 18350, please.

Gonna be that guy who, very prematurely, asks for a tiny, impossible to make, 14500 model, even before you reach full production of existing models.
    Will do! And I'd like to miniaturize more. The pistons the light uses are a good exercise in making small parts....I think it might be possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post
    18350!! PLEASE!
    On my way in tomorrow morning to make new parts!

When iíll see 18650???

Hey @Glenn7 I just sent you a PM but your box is full. I'm updating the info now - I think I got it right this time.....maybe

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    When iíll see 18650???
    machined one today!

I also have a Tiny Nugget available right now. I'm trying as best I can to get it to the first person in line that wants that light only, but if I don't hear from them soon I'll go to the next person. I should be able to fill a lot of the orders soon (with some wait times for those that requested special emitters).

Again, thanks for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    Hey @Glenn7 I just sent you a PM but your box is full. I'm updating the info now - I think I got it right this time.....maybe
    Thanks my friend PP sent, Inbox empty now.....

Thanks my friend PP sent, Inbox empty now.....
    Packing your lights now to ship tomorrow. Hope you enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    machined one today!
    Woohooo!
    PM comin!

Sent from Tapatalk

Flashaholic*

Default Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Curious how long the "user replaceable" QTC will last and how much $$ you estimate for the QTC?

Tiny Nugget??

Yes?

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post
    Tiny Nugget??

Yes?

obi
    Absolutely

Still in the shop. I'll let you know when I get back.

-Fraz

Quote Originally Posted by Strintguy View Post
    Curious how long the "user replaceable" QTC will last and how much $$ you estimate for the QTC?
    The QTC lasts much longer with these new designs.

The old piston (my previous 26350 lights) had a cavity that protected the QTC but it was still able to wiggle around a bit and would pinch and creep around the edges as the QTC aged or experienced heavy use. This resulted in a lot of the flickering that QTC lights are known for. This new piston is designed to keep the QTC centered at all times and away from the edges. The piston geometry is also better - the QTC is compressed into the center even if it has crumbled. This results in material that ramps even when it is very worn. I have several family members that have versions of the prototypes of these lights they got at Christmas. They use the lights multiple times a day and they still ramp great. I use mine hundreds of times daily (trying to break the QTC down to continue to improve the design) and I typically get months of use out of a piece. Even then, the light still ramps. I think with new materials the QTC has the potential to last years.

The replacements will be probably somewhere between $2 to $5. There are also several other materials online that work in this light. I will post a link to the top as I update light information.

-Fraz

Did I get missed?? I'm in for tiny nugget only.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Did I get missed?? I'm in for tiny nugget only.
    Not missed at all! I'm gonna assemble when I get home on Wednesday.

Whew! I've been interested in the smaller version of this light since you came out with the tank...

Hey fraz, I just need to know is there room in these lights for protected batteries?
    Just pondering batteries - I've seen protected 26350 (that end up being 26390) with built-in protection and charging.
    Also ICR IMR INR chemistry - I'm thinking IMR woud give the highest output - but I'm also wondering which chemistry can take the most drain from over discharging without being killed if I go unprotected.
    Last edited by Glenn7; 09-10-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Flashaholic*

Fraz, thanks for taking the time to answer the QTC question, I appreciate it mate.

Hey fraz, I just need to know is there room in these lights for protected batteries?
    Just pondering batteries - I've seen protected 26350 (that end up being 26390) with built-in protection and charging.
    Also ICR IMR INR chemistry - I'm thinking IMR woud give the highest output - but I'm also wondering which chemistry can take the most drain from over discharging without being killed if I go unprotected.
    There should be room - although I haven't tested anywhere near all available cells. All the 18650 cells i've tested, including protected versions, have fit. Please let me know if there is an issue.

I typically use IMR batteries with mine. I like the chemistry better. Those ICR batteries I sold with my old lights had a safe low discharge of 2v (which I never reached). I also prefer and recommend the batteries with those safe low voltages or protection for this light because of its lack of protection circuitry. Most of the time the light is near complete depletion when it's around 3v.

That being said, there are some physical protections built in just in case of a short. Also built in resistances to keep from a runaway with some of these high-discharge cells. I've found that single-cell use seems to be very safe typically.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast