HDS Systems        
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Default Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Excellent update pics!
    Hey Fraz, can you change mine to an sst-20 3500-4000k please?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic

I like that the action continues to smooth out as the parts wear in. Has anyone run their light for an extended period of time? I wonder if the QTC will take a set after being compressed for that time? Happy that I could get one 👍

The kids have left it on for days more times than I can count. Being able to go so low so as to not emit visible light through the optic is insanely awesome though....

Flashaholic

Excellent. I was thinking of how you could get tritium on the light (inside/behind the optic actually) but I realized that it could be it's own locater marker/light. I am beginning to discover that you can think that the light is off but it really isn't, you really have to crank it past what you think is off.
    Last edited by discoverEDC; 02-01-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by discoverEDC View Post
    Excellent. I was thinking of how you could get tritium on the light (inside/behind the optic actually) but I realized that it could be it's own locater marker/light. I am beginning to discover that you can think that the light is off but it really isn't, you really have to crank it past what you think is off.
    Iíve done that a few times. Thought it was off but in the middle of the night I got up to let the dog out and see that itís on in super low low

Fraz and Speck, I just sent a message to you through your website Contact system regarding a flashlight order. I would like to get in line for an 18650 light, whichever model becomes available first.

Flashaholic

Fraz: Denis Cyplenkov, holy cow, that guy has hands like Andre The Giant! My Tiny Tank is two handed operation for me.

Enlightened

I like that the action continues to smooth out as the parts wear in. Has anyone run their light for an extended period of time? I wonder if the QTC will take a set after being compressed for that time? Happy that I could get one 
    I've left mine halfway compressed overnight several times with no ill effects, and I know we've left them fully compressed for several hours on end without losing any variable brightness. There's untold YEARS of R&D on that piston system to have juuuuuust the right amount of stress on the QTC, but not enough to cause severe problems. Example - gave my dad a light for Christmas 2018 and it still has the exact same piece of QTC today. It still works as well as it did then (I'll get a video of it when I go back home) and he uses it every day at least twice a day when he feeds cows.

Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    The kids have left it on for days more times than I can count. Being able to go so low so as to not emit visible light through the optic is insanely awesome though....
    My favorite thing to do with that is to take the retaining ring and optic off, turn the light on just enough to barely illuminate the emitter, and look at all the different patterns in each bulb. Also, I'm easily amused.

Quote Originally Posted by troutpool View Post
    Fraz and Speck, I just sent a message to you through your website Contact system regarding a flashlight order. I would like to get in line for an 18650 light, whichever model becomes available first.
    I've got you down for any 18650 with a 4000-4500 emitter. I will try to take you off the 18350 notification list from the site as well.

Fraz: Denis Cyplenkov, holy cow, that guy has hands like Andre The Giant! My Tiny Tank is two handed operation for me.
    The man cracks walnuts with one hand. Had no idea that was even possible!

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo30 View Post
    Just had to share this pic I took last night of my wife using the Lumenite 18650. Terrific light!

This photo is awesome, but I'm jealous of the snow. That would almost make the cold weather worth it... almost. Give that sweet pup a nose boop for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by toadgravy View Post
    Just got my 18500 Tiny Nugget. This is about as bomb proof of a light as you can get. I love it. The box is awesome too! What a super deal!
    Glad you like it!! We are scaling up a bit in the next few weeks, so making battery tubes available by themselves will hopefully be an option soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    I would love to see an emitter swap video also. I have been carrying my 18650 tiny nugget every day as my main light. Such a great well built light. I definitely want to pick up more. I also would love to have an 18350 battery tube.
    We are still working on an emitter swap video but we are trying to focus on getting lights made so y'all will have one to swap an emitter out in the first place - stay tuned and I'll let you know when it finally arrives on the YT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    ... Thought about taking a sneak pic of Speck on the mill, but she'd probably kill me...
    After cleaning out the mill, I was a tornado of WD40 and aluminum chips that day - Death would've been imminent.

Alrighty folks - I think we've got all the lights out to everyone who ordered last week. I apologize for the delay, but we've been having some odd supply chain issues (emitters, boxes, tiny ziplock bags) which seems to be the story of 2020 still haunting us all. Some of you will get recycled shipping boxes, others will get sandwich sized ziplock bags containing the Break Free cloth (I almost had to use the bags with Olaf on the side, but resisted). All of you to date have gotten lights with newspaper as packing paper, but this last batch was a whole new level of whirlwind - Fraz nearly packed up his EDC a few times and I almost included a craft item I jokingly make from aluminum chips just to round it all out. All in all, we really hope you enjoy your new flashlight! I'll post some more photos in a bit.

I love the updates and responses provided by you and fraz! The fact that you both are so active on here is amazing and makes owning one of your lights that much better.

Flashaholic

I love the updates and responses provided by you and fraz! The fact that you both are so active on here is amazing and makes owning one of your lights that much better.
    So true!

Flashaholic

"There's untold YEARS of R&D on that piston system to have juuuuuust the right amount of stress on the QTC,"

It's interesting to learn more about the QTC, you guys have a lot of experience working with it. I noticed that the QTC has a slight rebound effect; if you have the light on high output and then (just barely) shut it off and then come back later the QTC must have expanded just a bit and made contact because the light will then be on at a low low level.

"My favorite thing to do with that is to take the retaining ring and optic off, turn the light on just enough to barely illuminate the emitter, and look at all the different patterns in each bulb. Also, I'm easily amused."

LOL, the die patterns are interesting.
    Last edited by discoverEDC; 02-03-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Flashaholic

speckacuda was kind enough to share some emitter swap information with me:

1) Take the battery out of the battery tube
    2) Take the piston out of the engine and remove the QTC from the piston
    3) Put the piston back into the light with no qtc on it
    4) Screw the battery tube back in tight
    5) Make sure the LED pads are centered under the washer leads
    6) Get some needle nose pliers and tighten the nut over the negative lead
    7) Get an allen wrench size 5/64" and tighten the machine screw over the positive lead
    8) Put the qtc back in your piston and the battery back in your battery tube. Now the light should go to full on
    Last edited by discoverEDC; 02-03-2021 at 11:46 AM.

Just take everything apart. How everything goes back together is fairly straightforward. Take a picture of the current assembly for reference. If you are satisfied with the centering, you may want to go over the area where the washer meets the contact pads with silicone (to resist vibration) conformal coating. Perhaps coating all mechanical connections for a moisture-resistant, dialectric seal...
    Last edited by adamlau; 02-03-2021 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

"There's untold YEARS of R&D on that piston system to have juuuuuust the right amount of stress on the QTC,"

It's interesting to learn more about the QTC, you guys have a lot of experience working with it. I noticed that the QTC has a slight rebound effect; if you have the light on high output and then (just barely) shut it off and then come back later the QTC must have expanded just a bit and made contact because the light will then be on at a low low level.

"My favorite thing to do with that is to take the retaining ring and optic off, turn the light on just enough to barely illuminate the emitter, and look at all the different patterns in each bulb. Also, I'm easily amused."

LOL, the die patterns are interesting.
    Yes, the polymer used in the qtc seems to have a very high 'memory.' It does not deform all that easily even when under slight load for long periods of time. Even at full load, the qtc does not compress all that much in the piston system which keeps it from physical deformity prematurely. The piston is designed to get to max brightness under the system right before it goes into direct drive which gives the qtc a lot of relief and allows it to last for a loooong time.

speckacuda was kind enough to share some emitter swap information with me:

1) Take the battery out of the battery tube
    2) Take the piston out of the engine and remove the QTC from the piston
    3) Put the piston back into the light with no qtc on it
    4) Screw the battery tube back in tight
    5) Make sure the LED pads are centered under the washer leads
    6) Get some needle nose pliers and tighten the nut over the negative lead
    7) Get an allen wrench size 5/64" and tighten the machine screw over the positive lead
    8) Put the qtc back in your piston and the battery back in your battery tube. Now the light should go to full on
    The video will definitely parallel this (with slight differences for the Lumenite). For those of you that want to swap emitters, the only do-it-yourself item is to put a bit of a very small solder blob on the MCPCB leads so they have a bit of a vertical height above the board for the washers to contact. You will see this when the old emitter is removed. The washers retain enough positive contact to deform the solder slightly.

I just wanted to let you guys know that these lights seem really awesome and it's great that you have such a strong presence here on CPF. I'll make sure to pick one up soon, it's a shame that shipping costs to my country are prohibitive.

Enlightened

Well, there is no Fraz Labs without y'all. It's one thing to make something your Aunt Erma wants to display in her house, but it's a totally different deal knowing complete strangers are proudly purchasing our flashlights. We are still blown away that the little thing we've spent the last decade creating is something folks actively seek (after everyone we knew told us to get a 'real job'), and it's quite the honor to be able to interact with all of you individually.

Quote Originally Posted by TILL-22 View Post
    I just wanted to let you guys know that these lights seem really awesome and it's great that you have such a strong presence here on CPF. I'll make sure to pick one up soon, it's a shame that shipping costs to my country are prohibitive.
    I hate that shipping has shot through the roof, and hate even more that the supply chains seem to still be wildly unpredictable. We're hoping things settle down a bit soon and will be able to fulfill orders across the pond and beyond. Know you're not forgotten, and I'm so sorry - we will let you know when we have a better solution than the current one!

Sidenote - CPF is the only forum where you'll find me personally, so don't let anyone else fool you! Both Fraz and I field all the "frazlabs" accounts and emails, so it's a roulette wheel as to who you're talking directly to most of the time (I tend to use more exclamation points than Fraz, so there's a tell), but we do share the sentiment amongst ourselves and both chime in for most messages.

Now for the real meat of this post - PROGRESS!!!
    Y'all have patiently waited for us to scale a bit more, and we have succeeded this past week! Seven straight days will be spent in the shop by tomorrow at 10pm CST, and while I don't have the final (flashlight) body count, I do have a photo of some chips (one of five 25 gallon barrels, with Fraz keeping a close eye on that grooving tool in the background) which will prove we had a heck of a run. As it stands at this very moment, we should be able to start selling individual Tiny Nugget 18350 battery tubes. This has been a HUGE request and we are happy to be able to finally fulfill those orders. More battery tube variations should start following in the future. I'll let you know where we stand after tomorrow, but I believe we will once again shatter our previous record of number of units manufactured.

This is Fantastic!!! I cannot wait to get my hands on an 18350 battery tube. And more lights of course!! This light has crushed my desire to want another hds rotary...!!

Default Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

I want a 18650 Tiny Nugget 4000K please, and a 18350 tube!! I signed up for alerts on the website, but would rather just get on the list. Is pre-pay an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cruzzer08; 02-06-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Flashaholic

Fraz or speck, does the piston need lubricant and if so what kind? Maybe the CLP? I have swapped the LED enough times that the piston has lost any lubrication by being handled.

Fraz or speck, does the piston need lubricant and if so what kind? Maybe the CLP? I have swapped the LED enough times that the piston has lost any lubrication by being handled.
    What LEDs have you tired? In Nugget or Luminite? Got a favorite so far?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzer08 View Post
    What LEDs have you tired? In Nugget or Luminite? Got a favorite so far?

I like 3000k color temperature so options are somewhat limited. Also, my Tiny Tank shipped with an SST20 and light frost optic so my setup is different than most everyone else. The three that have been in the light are the Luminous SST20, Cree XPL HI, and Nichia 319. To my eye the optic pairs well with the Nichia. One odd thing that I've noticed is that the optic seems to 'eat' the warm color temperature. I loosely fit a reflector just to see what would happen and with the same emitter it looked warmer. It could be that I'm just having optical delusions. LOL. To reiterate what Fraz said you need to put a tiny solder blob on each contact of the MCPCB to make proper electrical connections.
    Last edited by discoverEDC; 02-08-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Flashaholic

I wouldn't worry about it. Since the sides of the piston rests within a plastic "housing", there won't be any electro-fusing of two dissimilar metals. The major friction point is the piston against the lip of the body. Lubing the lip of the body and threads is sufficient. You can clean the lip and threads and reapply lube as appropriate. Now if you have some serious acidic fingers and the piston is getting eaten away, I am sure Fraz will hook you up with a replacement piston.

[KW] CULPM1.TG DD powered by 1x21700 (Moli P42A) through a 35mm optic?
    Versus the footprint of the LH351D...

Nice and bright. The optic adds useful spill to the expected throw. Unfortunately, I snapped the rim of the negative washer seat while recentering. The washer now spins out of place which leads to less-than-optimal contact with the pad, so no shots until I get the assembly replaced

Tiny tank 18650 SST-40 got here today. Throws a ton! Much better then my standard 18650 tiny nugget. I knew it was going to but itís quite a bit more. Tint is much better as well. More neutral. Fantastic setup.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

adamlau, that sucks. Maybe build out a non-conductive assembly between the wall of the negative pocket and the outer diameter of the washer retainer. The trick will be securing it, maybe a tiny dab of epoxy. Epoxy is great stuff but it can be removed.
    Last edited by discoverEDC; 02-08-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by geisto View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Since the sides of the piston rests within a plastic "housing", there won't be any electro-fusing of two dissimilar metals. The major friction point is the piston against the lip of the body. Lubing the lip of the body and threads is sufficient. You can clean the lip and threads and reapply lube as appropriate. Now if you have some serious acidic fingers and the piston is getting eaten away, I am sure Fraz will hook you up with a replacement piston.
    Well, my hands haven't turned blue/green/orange so I'm probably good. LOL. It is in a plastic housing, but you never know, a little dab of lubricant in the right place could optimize operation.

Good: KW CULPM1.TG recentered and working
    Bad: Lumenite 21700 optic does not play well with dedomed emitters

XP-L HI and other flats will end up losing the advantage of throw

Good: KW CULPM1.TG recentered and working
    Bad: Lumenite 21700 optic does not play well with dedomed emitters

XP-L HI and other flats will end up losing the advantage of throw
    You need to sand optic legs a bit so it can sit lower. Then youíll loose donut in the beam

Sent from Tapatalk

Enlightened

Hi Fraz
    PM sent
    Cheers

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20232425262728293031323334 LastLast