Holy cats...!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't know whether they would or wouldn't be ECE-compliant. Just as it's possible to have a blue tint to bulb glass and still produce legally white light, the same goes for green or yellow or pink or orange or whatever. I'm guessing "For sale only in Japan" on the package is due to license terms more than anything. But it seems like the kind of thing that would be destined for a collector's shelf, not an automobile on the road.

Still, this is a lot more words than I originally thought I could come up with for Hello Kitty headlight bulbs, the existence of which may very well be a sign that the end times are upon us.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still, this is a lot more words than I originally thought I could come up with for Hello Kitty headlight bulbs, the existence of which may very well be a sign that the end times are upon us.

Maybe we could, i'unno, NUKE the Hello Kitty headlight bulbs? Seems like a perfectly sane response to them.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've seen a number of unusual cross-branded products, but this has to be the most unusual.

But it seems like the kind of thing that would be destined for a collector's shelf, not an automobile on the road.

This is surely the intent of this offering. Koito probably makes enough additional margin per unit to make it worth their while and Sanrio rakes in some low-effort licensing fee money. Surely worthless if the packaging so much as looks like it's been compromised.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
From what I've been able to piece together from the web archive, they were offered in the early 2000s. And from what I've seen of Japanese culture, I don't doubt if when they were a current product people bought them and installed them in their cars. But now it's certainly more of a collectible (though maybe not; it doesn't look like anyone's bidding).

idleprocess

Flashaholic
From what I've been able to piece together from the web archive, they were offered in the early 2000s. And from what I've seen of Japanese culture, I don't doubt if when they were a current product people bought them and installed them in their cars. But now it's certainly more of a collectible (though maybe not; it doesn't look like anyone's bidding).

Hm, perhaps it was more like cereal box co-branding where the partnerships revolve steadily. An odd pairing nonetheless.

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
Lol..... Wait roflol..... Wait no seriously i'm laughing so hard i'm concerned for my well being