Brightest 1x AA

TeronG

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I'm looking for brightest 1 AA flashlight available in Europe (so no Zebralight SC5 unless you know source in Europe - unfortunately I don't have enough time to wait for shipment from China). ZL SC53w have 330 lumens, Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 270 lumens (for AA battery), Lumintop EDC 400 lumens (for AA battery) and EagTac D25A Clicky 405 LED lumens / 286 ANSI FL-1 lumens (which values should I compare? 405 or 286?) So which one would be the brightest? Other criterions are ability to lockout (e.g. by loosening cap) and a bit of financial aspect.

Cheers

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED lumens measures the light from the emitter. When you use it, the light has to deal with a reflector and a lens which lower the output. You need to compare apples with apples so check what standards the manufacturers are using.
Here's a useful thread...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?352456-ANSI-lumens-vs-OTF-lumens
ANSI measures the output at between 30 and 120 seconds of switch on, so as long as your light can maintain its output for that time it can claim the numbers even if it drops to nothing at the 121st second. So beware.

You might like to look of the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA, it runs on both AAs and CR123s, a nice solid light, but it probably doesn't put out the lumens that you want on a single AA.

P

Last edited:

TeronG

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the link to that discussion. I'm starting to reading it now.
As regarding ProTac - it surely looks like nice light but indeed it's output drops to 150 lumens when using AA battery. Also does not support NiMH. I know because I asked them about only listing alkaline and lithium batteries on their webpage when I was looking for 1x AAA flashlight. They said they "does not support the use of batteries other than those specifically listed in the instructions."

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...Klarus has the XT1A (2018 version) which I think is the brightest at 1000 ANSI lumens, but you only get that with a Li-Ion 14500. On an alkaline cell it only goes to 300 ANSI lumens. They do have a klaruslight.co.uk website and it seems there is a UK based address...so maybe that would be close enough? If I understand the product page correctly, it ships with a Li-ion 14500 cell that has a built in USB port to recharge it.

Edit: I just looked through the specs and they do appear to work with NiMH cells as well as alkalines.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I suggest the Klarus is because I love the UI. You can choose between two modes of output. The Outdoor setting is what I have my Klarus XT11GT set on and it sets the paddle switch to instant low output. On the XT1A you could have both Maximum output and minimum output instantly accessible from the tail switches. Although there is no mode memory so it is always going to blast out maximum power when you press the primary switch. You press and hold for 3 seconds or so to keep the light on in low. Press and hold again to turn it off or just tap the primary button to quickly flash turbo which overrides low and then goes off once released.

They also make another AA powered light called the Mi7 which runs on a 14500, AA alky or NiMH rechargeable cell. Output is 700 on Li-Ion and 330 on the others. It's a bit more EDC style and has a single side switch. It comes in different colors though and is a smaller form factor.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can still find one, the Nitecore EA11 is a nice dual power AA/14500 light. It is easy to twist the tail cap enough for a lockout, and the controls are the usual Nitecore two-button side switch. Mine is my everyday EDC on my belt. Unfortunately, Nitecore appears to have discontinued it, so it may be hard to find.

TeronG

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore EA11 is easily available here, but it's only 160 lumens on AA cell. Klarus XT11GT is great but kinda too big for me and Mi7 is a bit to expensive (I still have bigger flashlight to buy) + I prefer mechanical switches. So I ended up ordering Eagtac D25A in 260 ANSI lumens version - the one with longest range. Yeah, I know it isn't the brightest but at least runtimes should be decent I guess :)

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long do you want it to stay at 300 lumens or above? Most won't stay there long with an AA battery.

The Rofis R2 hits 300 lumens with AA, but doesn't stay there long.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EA11 is easily available here, but it's only 160 lumens on AA cell. Klarus XT11GT is great but kinda too big for me and Mi7 is a bit to expensive (I still have bigger flashlight to buy) + I prefer mechanical switches. So I ended up ordering Eagtac D25A in 260 ANSI lumens version - the one with longest range. Yeah, I know it isn't the brightest but at least runtimes should be decent I guess :)

I suggested the XT1A based on owning the larger one...guess I should have only mentioned the 1A...anywho...gratz on the Eagtac. It will likely serve you well. My Eagtac has served me very well.

Latest posts