POLL: Vote on UI changes for the next round of Quark QK16L lights

What should the next QK16L UI look like?

• Keep it the same

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Option #1

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Option #2

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi Fousevens Fam,

I've heard your feedback on the Quark UI. Our first production run on QK16L lights sold out on Kickstarter and we are about to begin the next batch, so I may have an opportunity to revise the UI to make it more nerd friendly. A term of endearment of course!

First, let's acknowledge that no one ever agrees on UI and the ONLY solution to make everyone happy is fully programmable. That's not an option at this time. So, the new Fourseven's UI (in general) is intended to be as simple as possible while capturing the preference of a majority of flashlight users...not just enthusiasts ;) I would also point out that those two goals are in conflict, and the final solution must strike a middle ground. Given all that:

Should the next Quark UI stay the same but lower the medium output to 40 lumens, or should a 4 mode UI be implemented? My main hesitation with adding a 4 mode is the need to add two additional configurations, bringing the total from 6-8. 6 is easy enough to memorize long term. 8 configs and you better not lose your user manual. I'm also not sure there is enough memory left on the chip to add two more configurations.

Notes on the current UI spacing:

1. High mode is set to 60% of Max/Burst (100%) output because this is roughly "one step" in brightness. Burst is a battery conservation measure because the change in perceived brightness is not very drastic, but the extension of battery life is.
  2. Medium mode is set to 1/4 the output of High mode because a 4x change in output is equivalent to doubling the perceived brightness. This is a nice spacing (seemed good on paper) but I agree, a resulting 100 lumens is a little bright...especially for us flashlight nerds. I don't think civilians will care.

My personal inclination (proposed UI #1) is to keep the UI the same, but drop medium mode to 40 lumens. This equates to a 10x change in output between medium and high instead of 4x. This is basically the same as the current Mini/Turbo MKIII settings and no one has taken issue with that yet ;)

Existing UI

• Config. 1: High - (Burst)
  • Config. 2: Max - Strobe
  • Config. 3: Medium - High - (Burst)
  • Config. 4: Low - Medium - High - (Burst)
  • Config. 5: High - Medium - Low - (Burst)
  • Config. 6: Low - Med - High - Strobe - SOS - Beacon - (Burst)

• Output Max/Burst: 700 lumens (100%)
  • Output High: 400 lumens (60%)
  • Output Medium: 100 lumens (15%)
  • Output Low: 1 lumen

Proposed UI #1 (just change medium to lower output - my personal preference)

• Config. 6: Low - Med - High - Strobe - SOS - Beacon - (Burst)

• Output Medium: 40 lumens (6%)
  • Output Low: 1 lumen

Proposed UI #2 (add a 4 mode option where the difference between low and medium is also 4x - may not be possible due to memory constraints - seems overly complicated - I get dizzy just looking at the options)

• Config. 6: Moon - Low - Medium - High - (Burst)
  • Config. 7: High - Medium - Low - Moon (Burst)
  • Config. 8: Low - Med - High - Strobe - SOS - Beacon - (Burst)

• Output Low: 25 lumens (4%)
  • Output Moonlight: 1 lumen

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using med 80% of the time and 100-200lm is my working range. Going low looks nice on Preons and other tiny lights.
Quarks are not that tiny, they're more like a tools so having Preon in my shirt pocket for low lm tasks are way to go.

Sent from Tapatalk

Jose Marin

Enlightened
A version of icarus with customizable modes/ mode order is really the only way to please everyone imo

thesnark17

Newly Enlightened
Icarus would be great - but since I assume we can't have it...

I would prefer the second option, except that I don't really see the need for a Low/Med/Hi mode and also a Moon/Low/Med/Hi mode. Does it violate your design principles too much to just replace Config 4 & 5 with your proposed Config 6 & 7? That would keep the total modes to six.

I have found that the modes I use most on my old Quarks are Low, Moon, and Turbo (in that order). Consequently I was unwilling to purchase a new Quark without my most used setting. Either of these proposed changes would have me reconsidering.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted for 2 if it can be done. I would use config 4 90% of the time, and config 3 for bicycle use. I rarely find a use for 1lm unless I'm inside a tent.

Ad_

Newly Enlightened
Option #2 gets my vote - having more options is better IMO (and I'm guessing most people will probably just pick one configuration they like the most and stick with that anyway). I'd also prefer max mode to be constant brightness rather than burst if it isn't due to thermal limitations or so.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to vote for #2, but was already thinking the same as snark, just keep 6 modes and replace 4 & 5 - especially with how the hybrid memory function works. It is so easy to get back to the lowest setting, having another brightness is seldom a burden. Original Quark Pro had four levels, with "burst" being a head-twist. And it is my current favorite 4Sevens UI.

Ad_

Newly Enlightened
Now that I've had a chance to properly use my QK16L for a while and get used to the UI and outputs I'm definitely in favour of option #2. An intermediate level between low and medium would be very useful but I wouldn't want to lose the current medium output mode either. The best solution IMO would be to do what thesnark17 suggested & simply add an extra mode to configs 4 & 5 instead of adding extra configurations.

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fousevens Fam,

Proposed UI #2 (add a 4 mode option where the difference between low and medium is also 4x - may not be possible due to memory constraints - seems overly complicated - I get dizzy just looking at the options)

• Output Low: 25 lumens (4%)
  • Output Moonlight: 1 lumen

I would use this proposed Mode levels, - but remove High.

High is a completely worthless mode level vs your current Burst:

Burst = 700lm / 1.5hrs
"High" = 400lm / 1.75hrs

Why bother? It's just useless complication that only adds 15 minutes of runtime.

--> 2x most useful options:

x1: Burst / Medium (no memory.)
x2: Medium / Burst (no memory.)

Config X1 is ideal for a 'Tactical EDC' light for dummies. Click it once in self defense, and it's 700lm of mugger blinding brightness. Click 2x, and its 100lm of versatile, EDC use light. And, 100lm is still bright enough to be blinding at close range, ensuring that an accidental double click does not prevent it from being used effectively in defense.

No memory ensures that its always ready at 100% brightness for self defense.

Config X2 is ideal for 'Utility light for dummies.' This is the setting I'd program it for my parents. They click it once, and its at a perfect 100lm of light. If for some reason they need more light, they can double click; but more likely they will just forget it even has that option.

Once again, no memory ensures the light always comes on at its default 100lm, ensuring that it never accidentally is set at the battery frying burst mode.

Without 'High,' you can also do other great options:

x3: Low (25), Medium (100), Burst (700.)
x4: Moonlight, Low, Medium, Burst