Elzetta alpha throw and output questions

feesix

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple questions, I have been collecting lights for a while and never heard of elzetta. Lapg had two alphas on clearance for 20.00 a piece. When they came in one is 315 lumens and the other is 415 lumens. Is there any real big difference in the lumens? And is there any mods to change the light to give it more of a hot spot?

LED Monkey

Enlightened
The difference in lumens between the 315 and the 415 Alpha is 100 lumens, thank you. Lol:poke:
All kidding aside at $20.00 buck apiece you got a very good deal. If you get the "standard" lens that will be about the most hot spot you'll get from them, if they come in with the "flood" lens you can get the standard lens to get more of a hot spot.
Again that's a good deal!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 315 lumen Alpha was pretty floody by design. It was designed around close quarter quick action like special ops guys kicking in doors and having to ID friend or foe all lickety-split-like. 10 metres was its maximum intended usefulness as anything more than that, the folks have night vision gear for that. The 315 lumen model was largely misunderstood by the casual user so it was very often overlooked.

The 415 lumen Alpha was the next generation of the Elzetta intention of a close quarter action light. The beam tint was changed to a less harsh tone for less self blinding to the user. The extra lumens went largely to throw while it still remained pretty floody in nature. Instead of a flat wall of light like the 315 model the 415 model is more like a conical beam.

Neither are designed for much throw. There are no plug n play devices I know of to change that.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
I was hoping to get a 415 Alpha w/standard lens so I quickly went over to LAPG but as I thought would be the case no more Alpha lights to be had. Elzetta flashlights are known to be some of the toughest lights around with it's potted electronics and thick bodies it's made for critical situations. Did they come in with the standard lenses?
Still thinking $20.00 bucks!

feesix

Newly Enlightened
They both came with flood lenses. would they be useful on a home defense gun or as edc lights?

LED Monkey

Enlightened
Well if you want a little more of a hot spot with some more throw you can buy the "standard" lens for around $10.00 bucks, it's still a close quarters/home defense or edc as Mr. bykfixer has pointed out. But if you're looking for a bit less flood get the standard lens , just unscrew the bezel.

feesix

Newly Enlightened
Well looks like i will buy the standard lens for one. One is going to be my new edc, the other is going on a shotgun. Which one should go on the gun?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
20.00 is insanely cheap, great catch! You got two lights for free basically.

As far as which one is best for you shotgun, I have not seen the flood or standard beam of the Alpha. I only have the Charlie with flood and Standard lenses. I would put the standard lens on the shotgun regardless if it is for inside use or outside use.

Last edited: