miniature UV flashlight powered by smartphone

Garuspik

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum. So first of all let me briefly introduce myself - i'm a ukrainian DIY hobbyist and while my main interest is audio (see my signature) I'd like to build a bit unusual UV flashlight.
From time to time I need UV flashlight. It should be very small, even smaller then usual keychain flashlight yet much more powerful then something like nitecore tube UV (this toy has usable range of 2 inches lol).
So I've decided to build a small uv flashlight without battery inside and use a smartphone as a power source. Please take a look what I've built:

mxCrgWV.jpg

And attached to smartphone:
2CSsztc.jpg

Small animations to show what this flashlight is capable of:
99e705bc8bf7e5291caa02d27ab49a23_original.gif

b9e0b5b8cdf60bcc1af9c495d39de364_original.gif

What do you think about such idea and it's implementation?
Any suggestions?

Garuspik

Newly Enlightened
Brief explanation why everyone who want to keep his house clean need UV flashlight. Everything is recorded with smartphone\ smartphone with attached flashlight.

Garuspik

Newly Enlightened
They make a regular led like this? Cool concept.

Who "they"? I've used factory led of course. Everything is assembled by me - 3d printed case, laser cut faceplate and the most complex thing - special controller to receive current from smartphone.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
are you building it for future mass production\sales, or you just build 1 for yourself? it looks pretty neat,

Garuspik

Newly Enlightened
are you building it for future mass production\sales, or you just build 1 for yourself? it looks pretty neat,

Everything I build - I build for myself. But then... sometimes it's worthy mass production ;) Not very often ;(

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I didn't read your post correctly. I thought you found this for sale and bought it. Nice job.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum. So first of all let me briefly introduce myself - i'm a ukrainian DIY hobbyist .... So I've decided to build a small uv flashlight without battery inside and use a smartphone as a power source.... What do you think about such idea and it's implementation?

:welcome:

I have moved your thread to "Homemade & Modified" subforum.

If you would like to share further details of this build, many of us here on CPF would be very interested in that.

Garuspik

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I have moved your thread to "Homemade & Modified" subforum.

If you would like to share further details of this build, many of us here on CPF would be very interested in that.

Sorry that I've chosen wrong sub-forum. A newbie mistake.
I'm open to any discussion and can answer any questions.

Could you share more info on the UV emitter you're using? Wavelength, power? I like the concept, I'd like to support your Kickstarter campaign, just wanted to know more about the LED.

Garuspik

Newly Enlightened
Could you share more info on the UV emitter you're using? Wavelength, power? I like the concept, I'd like to support your Kickstarter campaign, just wanted to know more about the LED.

Hi. As it's said on project page it's lite-on 365 nm led. It's rated 3w but sure it's run at much lower rating. About 400 mW.