Orange/Amber Travel Flashlight

Mr. Glass

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I currently use this LRI POK Photon II LED Keychain Micro-Light, Orange Beam light when I travel espcecially and also around my house so if I need to get up during the night I am not exposed to blue light, in order to maintain proper circadian rythm and melatonin production.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Handheld-Flashlights/LRI-POK-Photon-Keychain-Micro-Light/B0006IGIDE

Though I like the compact size, the on/off switch is not very comfortable and it tends to break over time, particularly when I attempt to change the battery.

Any other recommendations in roughly this size (though I can go bigger), orange color temperature range, has an on on/off mode that doesn't require me to hold it, lanyard hole, and about this level of brightness?

I may give this one a try, but am seeking the highest quality options and am not concerned about price.
https://lowbluelights.com/product/amber-flashlight-mini/

Best Regards,
Glass

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
photon version 3 with electronic switch , no sliding thingy to lose \break while replacing cells.

google Photon Freedom Micro LED

archimedes

Flashaholic
Pak-Lite in orange ?

I have a number of other flashlights with amber or red (primary or secondary) emitter(s) but those are all much larger ... and much more expensive. Examples of these include the Oveready BOSS, SureFire A2, and assorted Peak models.

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
I've got the Zebralight H502r and H502pr ("red" and "photo red"). The "red" looks to have a slight tinge of orange when I put them side-by-side, but it is definitely a red LED. They feed my flashaholism because I use them in multiple roles--as taillights on my bike, camping, and stargazing/astrophotography. They are bigger than the keychain you've got; for the extra size/weight, you get the ability to swap AA batteries, more brightness when you need it, a ton of runtime on low, and bombproof quality. Mine have been treated roughly outdoors--hit the pavement at 30 mph, thrown around on camping trips, fumbled/dropped in the dark--when I say "bombproof," I truly think that isn't hyperbole. But, I know there are good lights that are smaller--best of luck in the search!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Could you just use a 3000K LED flashlight with a low mode instead of a coin cell keychain light. I'm not sure of the blue light thing myself but I'm thinking warmer white lights probably suffice to tint away from the blues. I'm also thinking low lumen output is less problematic than a standard higher lumen light source like a 60+ watt light bulb something like 10 lumens probably is a lot less of an issue.

CerLo

Newly Enlightened
You could go with a Surefire Aviator in Amber color. I currently use this light and I can say that the amber color is pleasant to the eye. It's color, seems to me, leans more toward the orange colored spectrum range. It has two output modes that work well around the house and outdoors in low/No light situations.

rnpollard

Newly Enlightened
+1.

You need to check out the Photon Freedom or the Pro model. The Freedom has the ability to start dim and ramp up the brightness (and vice versa) as well as some strobe settings. The Pro version is just a simple on and off electronic switch. For your use I'd recommend the Covert model which covers the side of the LED further protecting your night vision.

I used the slide switch for years but went with the Photon Pro for the water resistance, ease of battery installation and simplicity. I wear one on my watch band and use it multiple times each day.

Good luck.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
more choices (all considerably larger and heavier than your photon options)

an amber option rovyvon a8

3200k warm white yuji LED option
Sofirn C01 warm on left (hard to find)
wWCzezZ.jpg

also 3200k warm white yuji LED option
McGizmo Sapphire (fancy titanium, fancy price)
42539650590_0e279eccb6_b.jpg

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pak-Lite in orange ? <THIS

I have a number of other flashlights with amber or red (primary or secondary) emitter(s) but those are all much larger ... and much more expensive. Examples of these include the Oveready BOSS, SureFire A2, and assorted Peak models.

I use Pak-lites around the house regularly and my non-flashoholic wife does as well. The simple low/high switch works great and the battery lasts a long time.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. A p60 host with an amber or red drop-in from Customlites? Expensive, and larger than what the OP is using now, but definitely longer lasting and better application possibilities.

Mr. Glass

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for these great suggestions! Despite having instant notifications turned on for the thread, I am somehow not receiving them via email and am just now seeing these posts. I really look forward to checking out these lights and will likely pick up a few of them to try.

I bought one of these in the meantime and am really liking it so far:
https://lowbluelights.com/product/amber-flashlight-mini/

Any suggestions for currently recommended rechargeable 9v make/model for this light?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast